Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:48 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times

Advertisements

so is there any proof you hit her car other than her word against yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:52 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
I pulled a stunt similar to what you (Chris) did a few years ago. It was to a 2000 F250 -- nearly exactly what I was driving. I just called my insurance company and let them handle it. It was ~ $400. (Tiny ding, but replacement was the only way to fix it properly.)

In the past few months I've been in two separate collisions with my Prius. (Deer hit me, then another driver hit me from behind while I was parked a couple months later). In both instances, it was $1,000+ for the bumper replacements.

If you have insurance, OP, just let them fix it. If you have no other claims in the next few years, it shouldn't affect your insurance rates too much. Or, find $500 somewhere and pay the lady. If she's willing to settle for half, she likely doesn't intend to fix it. That's her choice, and you should be happy with it. If you ignore it, she'll likely bring suit against you in small claims court and get the full $1,000, as she should.

If you've got no insurance, shame on you. $500 would be really cheap compared to the full replacement cost PLUS the fine you'd likely get for having no insurance (if the police get involved).

You do have the right to ask for an estimate from a body shop that you approve, and I'd ask that she have that done so you know the real repair cost. Just remember, until you pay up, she can change her offer to settle for $500 (assuming you and she didn't put it in writing, signed and dated).

But yes, it could easily cost $1,000 to replace a bumper, depending....

Old 12-08-2016, 02:30 AM

997 posts, read 937,346 times
That story doesn't make sense.

Either she doesn't have insurance either, or she doesn't understand how insurance works.

If the accident was 100% your fault and you are uninsured, then she can get paid out for the full amount of the estimate and choose not to have it repaired. It isn't her problem that you don't have insurance and why would she harrass you for half of the amount, when she can get the full amount.

If it is her word against yours. Her insurance company will take her word about what happened. Your insurance company would take your side and if there is disagreement they might split the fault. Since you don't have an insurance company to fight for you then you don't have much of a case.

A rear ender is almost always an easy call. I wouldn't deal with you at all unless you had cash in hand and wanted to make a deal, but I wouldn't settle for half. Either I would let you go, turn you in, or let you take care of it privately, but I wouldn't chase you around for it. I would turn you in if you didn't follow through right away.

All she has to do is report the accident to her insurance company. They will go after you for compensation and I am sure you would get in trouble along the way. I don't know what the penalty is, but it isn't good, even if you are 100% not at fault and there is property damage then you are in big trouble.

There was a time that I didn't have insurance. I took chances, but I knew I was risking a lot. Being poor is not a crime but driving without insurance is. It isn't that bad, if you don't get caught, but if you get caught then it is bad. My plan was always not to get caught. What was your plan?

Last edited by Veronicka; 12-08-2016 at 03:06 AM..

Old 12-08-2016, 05:15 AM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post

Either she doesn't have insurance either, or she doesn't understand how insurance works.

If the accident was 100% your fault and you are uninsured, then she can get paid out for the full amount of the estimate and choose not to have it repaired. It isn't her problem that you don't have insurance and why would she harrass you for half of the amount, when she can get the full amount.

If it is her word against yours. Her insurance company will take her word about what happened. Your insurance company would take your side and if there is disagreement they might split the fault. Since you don't have an insurance company to fight for you then you don't have much of a case.

A rear ender is almost always an easy call. I wouldn't deal with you at all unless you had cash in hand and wanted to make a deal, but I wouldn't settle for half. Either I would let you go, turn you in, or let you take care of it privately, but I wouldn't chase you around for it. I would turn you in if you didn't follow through right away.

All she has to do is report the accident to her insurance company. They will go after you for compensation and I am sure you would get in trouble along the way. I don't know what the penalty is, but it isn't good, even if you are 100% not at fault and there is property damage then you are in big trouble.

There was a time that I didn't have insurance. I took chances, but I knew I was risking a lot. Being poor is not a crime but driving without insurance is. It isn't that bad, if you don't get caught, but if you get caught then it is bad. My plan was always not to get caught. What was your plan?

Old 12-08-2016, 05:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post

It doesn't matter. The OP has admitted fault to the lady. I assume he doesn't want the possibility of anyone finding out that his vehicle has no insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post

If the lady knew he had no insurance then it goes against hers if she has uninsured motorist coverage. Her thinking may have been that her deductible could go up. I understand wanting to take care of it without insurance. But.... I'd have a photo of the OP's drivers license and a documented agreement that it would be taken care of.

I came back to my truck one day after work to find that someone in an F350 had literally backed up onto the hood. Destroyed the front end. I found a business card on the windshield with an apology note and a request to call him. Called the guy, and he said he'd pay out of pocket. It was dark, my truck was all black, and he couldn't see it over his tailgate. He wanted to keep insurance out of it because he didn't want his deductible to increase.

Luckily my father in law owns a body shop and since the guy was honest about it, he fixed my truck for the cost of parts only and cut the guy a break. I chose to go back with aftermarket parts to cut cost a little to help him out as well. I think it cost around $1,100 to have the hood, bumper, grill, radiator, AC condenser, both headlights, and both front fenders painted and replaced. Keeping in mind this was with NO labor involved and aftermarket (not OEM) parts. Had this been a normal repair it would have been in the $3k range to fix.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:40 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
The city garbage truck hit our parked van. The bumper was hanging off and light busted. We had to go to where ever we wanted to get a quote and turn it in to them. We went to 3 places and turned in each. The city wrote just a check for just about $2000.

....we bungee corded the bumper on and got a replacement light for free. Ate the $2000 check.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:51 AM

633 posts, read 581,734 times
$500 is the deductible on most plans anyhow so you are getting off cheap at $500.

Or if you want just don't pay her. Back when I was in college and broke I was parallel parking and tapped the guy behind me. Turns out was a Mercedes and guy was eating lunch and saw it. We exchanged info and guy said I will call you with estimate or I will report it to my insurance.

Guy calls me and wants like $500 bucks cash for a scratch. I dont have $500 bucks and even if I did back then that was a fortune to me at 19. I visit my insurance broker in person and tell him story. He tells me well dont report it to me your rates will shoot up. And that other guy dont even return the call, screw him. He most likely has a $500 or $1,000 deductible if he reports it to his insurance he will have to pay 100% in the deductible and risk rates going up. Since no police called and you did not report it to insurance and it was not a hit and run and no-one hurt in my eyes there is no accident.

Guy called back did not get me but got my Mom who told him he is over 18, car registered and insured in his name why are you calling me. Don't call back here report it to your insurance if you want. good night.

never heard back. You dont got the money, tell the honey

Old 12-08-2016, 06:56 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Yes. The car is damaged.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:04 AM

BTW I have been in around 10 minor bender fenders in my life. No one every paid me and I never paid anyone.

And by the way there is NO LAW you have to stick around for cops to arrive if no one hurt and a minor accident. The law is you must exchange info. The cab company near my house has multiple copies of the insurance card in the glove dept. If they have a minor accident that is 100% their fault they are instructed to say nothing. Not a word get out of car, had them the card and drive off.

If you caused accident why would you leave car where it is, sit there and wait 10 minutes for police to arrive and take pictures and make statements.

I had an accident around five years ago where I stuck my nose out got t-boned by some women who totaled my car. She had a big SUV she was not totaled. I was in a daze and she was yelling at me to apologize or get out and look at her car. My car did not run so stuck. I sat there straight ahead while she called cops and said nothing. Cops came I exchanged info with the cops. Still did not say one work to lady. Cop asked what happened I still said nothing. I drive car to said of road on a flat tire and covered in glass and realize the thing is running. I then drive home one mile on rim and leave it in front of house. I call my insurance and report someone hit me. Get an estimate to fix but they total it. Car never went to a body shop or tow company.

Well my state has no fault. So the other driver can only get me to pay for her expenses if she can 100% prove I was 100% at fault.

Well I was curious how did she total my car on a side street with stop signs ever 200 feet. Turns out there was a stop sign for her 200 feet before. The insurance adjuster said car was going at least 50 that hit me if she dragged you 20 feet and bent the frame.

So I went to stop sign she was supposed to stop at came to a stop in my new car and floored it guess what most I could get to was around 40 mph tops. That lady blew the stop sign 200 feet up the road and was speeding. It was her fault.

Never admit guilt even if it seems you are at guilt.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yes. The car is damaged.
How is that proof?

How would I know car was not dented beforehand?

How would I know car was not dented afterwards?

How would I know the other driver was not looking.?

How do I know other driver did not intentionally hit me trying to scam me for insurance?

Proof is you have a time stamped photo or video one second before crash showing no dent, then one second after crash a second photo showing dent, a written confession other driver on a police statement.

All I have is two folks tapped each other in lot. No clue who is at fault no clue if the scratch was there before the accident.

My wife had a similar thing happen week before Sandy when she backed up and the guy behind her back up and they scratched each others bumpers. My wife had a big crack in her bumper. He claimed she moved first and he claimed she moved first. Anyhow they called police, took report turns out neither reported to insurance and then neither fixed it and then both cars were totalled in Sandy.

And yet my damm insurance company had a record the car was in a crash in the car fax report because they called the cops.

In a minor accident you car values falls a lot if you have a car fax accident more than cost of repair. Better to pay cash on minor things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive