Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:12 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times

Advertisements

One persons story about the famous or infamous 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the Hyundai.

Is this typical? No.
But it does show how and why some can offer such long warranties. And does examine the myths associated with such warranties.
And how many are lured into a false belief.

"The call that I received that evening knocked my socks off. It wasn’t from the Hyundai dealership’s service department, but instead was a regional Hyundai corporate representative. He said that while the 100,000 mile warranty did cover the engine and all its components, the coolant temperature gauge was not considered part of this assembly. Since my vehicle’s engine issues were caused by a failure in this gauge, none of the repairs would be covered by the warranty."

Hyundai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 04:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
Okay, And?

Old 01-04-2017, 04:48 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Wow that's interesting. But even if the gauge wasn't working, I'm assuming the owner drove and kept driving and overheated the engine to the point of failure?
But even if the gauge was broken that won't cause the engine to overheat. Something else caused the engine to overheat. And it wasn't the gauge. Running low on coolant, clogged leaking or broken cooling system or components, no maintenance etc. The gauge just warns you there is a issue. There is way more to this story.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:56 AM

Taken from the article:

"The issue seemed to come out of nowhere, as the car had given no indications of trouble. There had been no service engine lights, no leaks in the driveway, and I had actually had my fluids checked just a few weeks before."

Old 01-04-2017, 04:57 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,992 times
That sucks. Hyundais are junk.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:58 AM

And this taken from article:

" I quickly pulled off to the side of the road, and smoke began to billow out from underneath the hood."

Old 01-04-2017, 05:45 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,402,010 times
Unit731, what is your point? Have you had a bad experience with a Hyundai, or do you know someone who has (other than a random person from an internet story that you found)? From what I can tell, Hyundai actually has a pretty good reputation regarding the reliability of their vehicles, especially considering how cheap they are.

Could you explain this, also from the article...

"
The temperature gauge that determines when anti-freeze needs to be injected into the engine had malfunctioned and stopped injecting coolant. Without any way to cool itself, the engine block had massively overheated, and was a total loss."

I admittedly don't know much about Hyundais and I'm not a mechanic. With that being said, I have never heard of a vehicle that has a system that operates anything like this. As far as I know, the only thing that is ever "injected" into an automobile engine is fuel. Coolant usually is gently circulated through the engine while it's volume is regulated by a mechanical thermostatic valve that slowly opens and closes.

Could anyone explain how this Hyundai's cooling system might be different? Does it actually have an electronic "thermostat" or maybe a variable speed water pump of some type that is controlled by a sensor? If so, I could see how something like that might be what the person in the article had a problem with. If not, I suspect that the real problem was something else and that the person who wrote the article might have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Unit731, what is your point? Have you had a bad experience with a Hyundai, or do you know someone who has (other than a random person from an internet story that you found)? From what I can tell, Hyundai actually has a pretty good reputation regarding the reliability of their vehicles, especially considering how cheap they are.

Could you explain this, also from the article...

"
The temperature gauge that determines when anti-freeze needs to be injected into the engine had malfunctioned and stopped injecting coolant. Without any way to cool itself, the engine block had massively overheated, and was a total loss."

I admittedly don't know much about Hyundais and I'm not a mechanic. With that being said, I have never heard of a vehicle that has a system that operates anything like this. As far as I know, the only thing that is ever "injected" into an automobile engine is fuel. Coolant usually is gently circulated through the engine while it's volume is regulated by a mechanical thermostatic valve that slowly opens and closes.

Could anyone explain how this Hyundai's cooling system might be different? Does it actually have an electronic "thermostat" or maybe a variable speed water pump of some type that is controlled by a sensor? If so, I could see how something like that might be what the person in the article had a problem with. If not, I suspect that the real problem was something else and that the person who wrote the article might have no idea what they are talking about.
As I read it, you and the reporter are describing the same thing. The reporter just doesn't understand the mechanics of an IC engine as well as you do.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:04 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,587,421 times
Have a Hyundai. 71K miles at 11 years. sigh.
Lets see.
1) The handle bars all came out of the roof. 2 year. Covered.
2) Shift linkage. 6 weeks. covered.
3) Trunk release. 6 mos and 2 years. covered.
Like 5 other minor things covered.

Paint started peeling off the roof. 3 years. NOT covered. At least my car is easy to find. Dealer said it was my fault. Note Ive had cars with giant rock impacts that did not peel. These peeled without impacts. Dealer had the nerve to tell me they were my fault. Local dealer is one of those scam places. Was getting tires last week and heard a convo between the shop and some old lady. Basically the local Hyundai dealer told her she needed 2K of brake work and she was freaking as he had done the rears8 months previous. He gave her an appointment to come in to look at the brakes. Turns out she was at 30% on the fronts and 80% on the rears. I asked him about it after. That was the dealer's MO to service even things that did not need fixing. he got lots of those people. Calipers for the new cars are only available thru the dealer at 300 dollars each and some models eat calipers...

CD player 3 years 1 month. NOT covered.
Stock tires lasted 29K miles. I drive like a 90 year old and just got 50K on 80% tread left 40K tires tires when I bought my used car. IE I dont go thru tires.

3rd tail light needs special tool to remove unless you are in engineering like me and want to mod the housing. Its designed to allow the dealer to charge you 200 dollars to change a light bulb. I need no special tool and I can do it from INSIDE the car now, not the trunk after I modded it.

NOT impressed with Hyundai. Had a 2002 Ford Taurus I took to 188K miles. To 180K miles, besides tires, brakes... I put $3 into that car. Yes THREE dollars. I had to go to Home Depot get some tubing. The windshield washer tube passes by a hot part of the engine and I had to reroute and fix a spot. It died by 188K miles (fixable but not worth it. It became clear it was on its way out) but that car owed me NOTHING. Have a Fusion now. 92K on it. Bought it at 43K. Only wear parts so far. LOVE that car. 29 MPG combined driving is a nice bonus for a family sized car.

Hyundai dealers all seem to ride the overpriced service plans at 15K, 30K, 45K, 60K.. They wanted $499 for the 45K or 60K service (forget which). Local garage did the whole list for $179 including the oil change.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
what is your point? Have you had a bad experience with a Hyundai, .

I was at O'Reilly's the other day.

Upon leaving, a young woman parked at front. With a headlight bulb out/not working. A newer Hyundai sedan.
I asked the young woman if car was still under warranty. She stated yes.

Then I asked why she didn't just go to the Hyundai dealer and get a new headlight bulb. She stated that headlight is not covered.

So I went and looked up the Hyundai automobile warranty.

Upon reading up on this famous or infamous Hyundai warranty - I ran across the article/story/post above.

Something worth discussing in my opinion. As most/many/some think that the entire warranty is 10 years or 100,000 miles. Which some of it is and much of it isn't.

I'd bet that many/most/some do not actually read the warranty and many/most/some don't understand the warranty.

Simple point of discussion. That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive