Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times

Advertisements

URGH!!!!!!!!!! These people probably drive me crazier than any others. I realize a LOOOOONG TIME AGO that people were taught to drive w/ both feet (left for brake and right for gas). But do they not realize what they are doing???? You want to slap the crap out of them. They can be going down the road at 50mph w/ their BRAKES ON!!! Pretty sure these are the same people that complain about their brakes not lasting and blaming it on other things. These are also the same people that run into buildings, stores, thru crowds, etc saying, "I had my foot on the brake and the car kept going". Well yeah, you ALSO had your right foot HAMMERED DOWN ON THE GAS!!!! You can practically see it: death grip on the steering wheel, hair on ends, both legs stretched straight and the feet firmly planted on both pedals to the metal. URGH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:42 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,632 times
Wow never heard of this in my life, the only time you should be using both feet is when you're driving a manual.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:24 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
Wow never heard of this in my life, the only time you should be using both feet is when you're driving a manual.
Really? You have never heard of a "two footed driver"? These are the people that are going the speed limit but their brakes are on. Easy to spot a mile away. I NEVER ride behind these people and try to get as far from them as possible. Think about the scenario I mentioned where usually an elderly driver has crashed into a building/store/crowd and they always say, "I had my foot on the brake". Well of course they did but they ALSO had the OTHER foot on the gas. This was one of those "techniques" that was taught to drivers DECADES and DECADES ago. Ever since I've been driving (30 years now ) one has always been taught to only use one foot for the brake and gas and it was done in order to avoid confusion. Unless of course as you mentioned the car is a manual.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,632 times
It's not a surprise though with all the incredibly stupid things people do on the roads these days. I always say you have to drive for yourself and everybody else on the road with you!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times
^ ^ ^
Indeedy, this is correct. Being the Brit that I am I drive a manual (automatics are rare in Europe) and you do indeed use both feet but your left foot is for the clutch and nothing else. Operating the brake with one foot and the accelerator with the other is a recipe for disaster.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,868,298 times
left foot braking is a great technique to use in racing...

Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,632,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
URGH!!!!!!!!!! These people probably drive me crazier than any others. I realize a LOOOOONG TIME AGO that people were taught to drive w/ both feet (left for brake and right for gas). But do they not realize what they are doing???? You want to slap the crap out of them. They can be going down the road at 50mph w/ their BRAKES ON!!! Pretty sure these are the same people that complain about their brakes not lasting and blaming it on other things. These are also the same people that run into buildings, stores, thru crowds, etc saying, "I had my foot on the brake and the car kept going". Well yeah, you ALSO had your right foot HAMMERED DOWN ON THE GAS!!!! You can practically see it: death grip on the steering wheel, hair on ends, both legs stretched straight and the feet firmly planted on both pedals to the metal. URGH!!!
I guess a LOOOOOOONG time ago is more than 43 years ago. My father was a professional driver and he started to teach me how to drive when I was 13. He never taught me to use my left foot for anything other than operating the clutch pedal. Some drivers that race cars for a living do use their left foot to brake in some cases.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:06 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
left foot braking is a great technique to use in racing...
Yeah but not when you're on the school run.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:36 AM

41,973 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I use the left foot on the brake, and I'll project myself right out the windshield! The left foot is for the clutch!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Left foot braking. I see it all the time. One of my brothers used to do it and I gave him H*ll when I noticed it. I don't think he appreciated it and I didn't care. He did stop doing it.

My take on it is this: If you are so afraid of driving that you have to have your left foot poised over (or pushing on) the brake pedal you shouldn't be allowed to drive.

I'm always tempted to get in front of one of these idiots and drive with my left foot on the brake just to see what they might think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive