Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:39 AM

71 posts, read 115,949 times

Advertisements

I just bought a full set (lows and highs) of the Auxbeam F-S2 LED conversion headlamps. I get them in a couple days and will be very happy to get rid of my dim, yellow bulbs I have been dealing with for years. I've seen some youtube videos comparing before and after conversions and all of them seem to have positive results.

How many of you have converted from halogen to LED? It looks like the main drawback would be if the cooling fan died and allowed the circuitry to overheat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 02:15 PM

940 posts, read 970,754 times
All incoming cars are proactively saying FU. It's actually illegal to do what you are wanting to do.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:44 PM

71 posts, read 115,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
All incoming cars are proactively saying FU.
Yes, if you don't aim them properly. Lots of people out there swapping them into reflector assemblies without the unwanted glare.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,957,980 times
In Texas, ANY modification of the headlamp is illegal and that includes the bulb like the Silver Star crap. Big town police don't seem to care. Go to the little towns at night and you better have good walking shoes. I would suggest looking at the local codes first. If it does not have a DOT number stamped on the part, it is illegal in all of the USA.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:23 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,235,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
In Texas, ANY modification of the headlamp is illegal and that includes the bulb like the Silver Star crap. Big town police don't seem to care. Go to the little towns at night and you better have good walking shoes. I would suggest looking at the local codes first. If it does not have a DOT number stamped on the part, it is illegal in all of the USA.
So long as OP can perform conversion without blinding other drivers, worrying about a $50-100 civil infraction for improper equipment pales in comparison to the importance of being able to see properly when driving at night. That being said, I have zero anecdotes of people being ticketed for non-DOT bulbs in OEM housings.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:28 PM

17,642 posts, read 17,750,513 times
I've seen some cars that should have an LED conversion for their tail lights. The tail lights are so small and dim they're hard to see even when they work. One example is Chrysler PT Cruiser. Some of those old Ford Falcons and AMC Ramblers also had small dim tail lights. Changing them to LED would be about safety.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:16 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,081,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
So long as OP can perform conversion without blinding other drivers, worrying about a $50-100 civil infraction for improper equipment pales in comparison to the importance of being able to see properly when driving at night. That being said, I have zero anecdotes of people being ticketed for non-DOT bulbs in OEM housings.
IMO if you don't drive way out in the country then you don't need anything but factory. People who add these lights to do nothing but city driving, are completely ignorant, or apathetic as to how bad they are for other drivers. Most of the people who have these do it because they think it looks cool, and have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I've seen some cars that should have an LED conversion for their tail lights. The tail lights are so small and dim they're hard to see even when they work. One example is Chrysler PT Cruiser. Some of those old Ford Falcons and AMC Ramblers also had small dim tail lights. Changing them to LED would be about safety.
I just saw a jeep wrangler with a set of those the other day. It was at night, and I was probably 30 feet behind it and could BARELY tell they had there turn signal on. I almost followed him just to tell him how difficult it was to see.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:28 PM

17,642 posts, read 17,750,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
IMO if you don't drive way out in the country then you don't need anything but factory. People who add these lights to do nothing but city driving, are completely ignorant, or apathetic as to how bad they are for other drivers. Most of the people who have these do it because they think it looks cool, and have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE.

I just saw a jeep wrangler with a set of those the other day. It was at night, and I was probably 30 feet behind it and could BARELY tell they had there turn signal on. I almost followed him just to tell him how difficult it was to see.
I was told merely replacing the bulbs with LEDs isn't enough. Not enough resistance and thus causing the flashers to go fast as if you have a burnt bulb.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:41 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,803,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
In Texas, ANY modification of the headlamp is illeagal
DOT is federal. It is against the law in all states. That said...I aint the police so good luck with the mod. Ive done a few HID conversions in my time, it never occured to me to loook in to an LED conversion.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:52 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,081,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I was told merely replacing the bulbs with LEDs isn't enough. Not enough resistance and thus causing the flashers to go fast as if you have a burnt bulb.
Yeah, I could see that the LEDs aren't pulling enough wattage, so they are not causing enough ohms/resistance to make the resistors work.

They were going at normal speed, and they weren't overly bright. It was more as if the LEDs, were putting off too much ambient light, as if it was fuzzy. I want to say it looked like the taillight housing had 12-15 LEDs, in the classic light bulb shape. IIRC 4-6 were flashing for the turn signal and it was real hard to differentiate. This was out in the country a bit, with very little ambient light in the area. I had Lasik a few years back, and I know my vision is 20/15 & 20/10 so its not my vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive