Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:33 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times

Advertisements

First off, I actually do have a question on the 2 vehicles mentioned below, but I'd like to keep those discussions separate, so I started a new thread below....
http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...l#post46838432

"Center storage area" is that spot in a vehicle that's between the front driver and passenger seats. Usually more further back. Concerning cars where the gear shift stick that's between the driver and passenger seat, it's behind that.

I've looked at the Honda CRV, and driven some rental cars (Ford) where that "center storage area" is huge.... you can practically put in a tablet. The interesting setup here is while there are only 1 or 2 ports for charging electronic devices on the lower, middle part of the dashboard, there are an additional 2 to 3 ports in this center storage area.

My question is how this has worked out for folks who have this layout. I generally like them to be at the front, but I'm guessing folks can put electronic devices inside there to keep them charging while out of view (assuming the car can continue charging without the keys in side it)? Or otherwise, you can keep them safe while driving? Currently, I (currently driving a Toyota Rav4) put devices being charged on the passenger seat (I usually drive alone), the cup holder, or the "cubby hole" beside me.

Last edited by ackmondual; 01-15-2017 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
I use the USB Port in my GMC Sierra and my Wifes Nissan, to play the music stored on a Stick thru the radio

Old 01-15-2017, 07:16 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
My Toyota Avalon has a USB port and two standard 12v cigarette-lighter type ports in a little cubby at the front of the center console ahead of the gearshift. There's a cover that slides down to cover this little compartment but my phone doesn't even come close to fitting in the space under the cover. It's notched so keep it closed with the USB cords from my charger coming out through the notch. There is another cigarette-lighter plug located in the center console storage compartment under the padded armrest.

The USB port is useless for me because if I plug my phone into it, it tells me that the device is drawing too much power. Plus, I can tether the phone to the stereo via Bluetooth and the Entune app on my phone. All I really use it for is to upgrade the firmware in the head unit via a USB thumb drive.

My Honda Pilot has a similar setup. I don't know what's plugged into where as my wife primarily drives it.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Using the USB in the console on our Ford(s) allows us to play music off the iphone or through Amazon Music without utilizing the Bluetooth, which also allows us to have a fully charged phone when we get to where we are going. One thing to be aware of is that most of the USB ports in the center console will not charge while the vehicle is turned off, only provides power while vehicle is running whereas an adapter in the 12v on the dash is a constant hot and will typically (not all models) charge all the time.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Generally speaking, the ports in the center console or for your passengers in the rear.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:54 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I don't really understand the question. Manufacturers put charging ports in various locations, particularly as people have an increasing number of devices to charge. It's particularly good if you're using a map program, which might draw enough power to drain the battery.

Just use whatever is most convenient for you.

No matter which one you use, it won't keep charging when the car is turned off, and that's a good thing, right? If it did you might park your car and return to one with a battery so far gone that your car won't start.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:03 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Our Enclave doesnt have a USB port, which is about stupid, and had I known this, I would have looked at another before we bought it. My truck has the UBS port on the dash, Its fine, but I have to deal with the charging cord. My Mustang has it in the console. I hook u my phone, put it in the dash and forget about. I play my music, answer the phone all from the radio screen.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:24 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I don't use the USB. I prefer to use Bluetooth for my data connectivity and have a couple of iPhone Lightning cables plugged into a 2-port USB cigarette lighter adapter. That way, nothing glitches if I'm listening to music with my phone in my pocket and decide to plug it in to charge it. Same thing if I'm in a phone call using the car hands-free.

If you use Bluetooth, you can draw power and run a cable anywhere in the car. A lot of people like to install a powered car smartphone holder somewhere on the dash or center console where you can dock the phone. That's cleaner than having a cable dangling if you can find a system you like.

I also have spare cables and another dual USB cigarette lighter adapter to get power to the back seat if anybody needs it. These days, pretty much anything with a liftgate has a power port back there. If you buy them online at somewhere like Monoprice, micro USB and Lightning cables are inexpensive.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:06 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't really understand the question. Manufacturers put charging ports in various locations, particularly as people have an increasing number of devices to charge. It's particularly good if you're using a map program, which might draw enough power to drain the battery.

No matter which one you use, it won't keep charging when the car is turned off, and that's a good thing, right? If it did you might park your car and return to one with a battery so far gone that your car won't start.
I understand this is a personal preference thing, but as an internet forum, I'm asking what people's experiences are, and how well one works out for other given various situations.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:41 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Actually, you need to check the owners manual because not everything that looks alike functions the same. Some ports are simply for charging, while others allow for direct connectivity to the on-board OEM media systems. Also, some ports are wired directly to full time "hot" and will charge all the time, whereas others do not. If you are concerned about draining a vehicles battery, be aware which you have. I can tell you that most cell phones will charge for days off of a vehicle battery without draining it as long as the battery is on good working condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive