Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:14 PM

862 posts, read 3,553,593 times

Advertisements

We want to purchase a used mini-van. We recently had an Odyssey and want to replace it with another Odyssey or Sienna as we're partial to their long term performance as used vehicles. However, since our old van was in an accident and we're currently using a rental, we don't have the luxury of time to be as selective as we'd like. The Odysseys and Siennas we're seeing in our local area typically have mileage that's higher than what we want.

So now, we're considering widening our net to include more options. We already know that we don't want to consider American minivans. So we were thinking about Quests or Routans? Anything else I haven't considered? Mazdas are too small.

We're looking to spend $6000 max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 09:26 PM

574 posts, read 384,105 times
1 thing, the VW Routan is basically a Chrysler Town and Country, but with a German badge on it... and finer suspension. Figured that I'd tell you that, if you didn't want American marque vans. Don't know much about the Nissan Quest, but it's not on par with reliability as the typical sienna or odyssey

Old 04-13-2017, 10:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,610,614 times
I wouldn't touch a VW. They tend to be maintenance nightmares. Expensive nightmares. The Quest would serve you much better.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,583,912 times
I am driving an old 93 Nissan pickup. It's just as reliable as my old Toyotas. If it was me, I'd go for the Quest. My Nissan pickup was much cheaper than a Toyota of the same year. They just don't have the same name brand desirability, but it's just as good, from my experience.

I gave up on American made vehicles once I had a Toyota, and learned that there is such a thing as a vehicle that doesn't break down regularly. I realized that even if parts are cheaper, if you're having to get new parts and pay a mechanic more regularly, you're way better off with a Japanese made vehicle that rarely breaks down - even if the parts are more expensive.

By the way, I have purchased older Toyotas with lots of miles on them with hardly any maintenance needed. So, I'm not sure you'd have to worry about the higher mileage on the Toyotas you've been looking at.

That said, now that I've owned a Nissan and have experienced the same level of reliability, I'd go for the Quest with lower mileage.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:36 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,276,809 times
For $6K you're probably getting a KIA or something with a lot of miles on it.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:37 AM

7,207 posts, read 9,360,307 times
If I wanted to spend just $6K, I'd look for a 2007 Chrysler T&C or Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.8 engine.

Since these vehicles are sometimes bought by retirees, you might be able to find one with low miles.

I found quite a few under 100K miles.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...20200&zc=80920

Old 04-14-2017, 06:09 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,468,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
We want to purchase a used mini-van. We recently had an Odyssey and want to replace it with another Odyssey or Sienna as we're partial to their long term performance as used vehicles. However, since our old van was in an accident and we're currently using a rental, we don't have the luxury of time to be as selective as we'd like. The Odysseys and Siennas we're seeing in our local area typically have mileage that's higher than what we want.

So now, we're considering widening our net to include more options. We already know that we don't want to consider American minivans. So we were thinking about Quests or Routans? Anything else I haven't considered? Mazdas are too small.

We're looking to spend $6000 max.
Avoid the Routan just as you plan to avoid the Dodge Caravan/Chrysler T&C because they are literally the same vehicle. Only the name has been changed. They're crap no matter what you call them.

The problem with the Sienna and Odyssey is that they hold their value very well, so finding one in your price range would be very difficult if not impossible.

The Nissan Quest should be a solid vehicle if it has been decently maintained. Since 2003, the Quest has used Nissan's excellent VQ35DE engine (found in everything from Altimas and Maximas to numerous Infiniti vehicles). With regular oil changes, it is typically bulletproof.

As far as any others that you might consider, especially given your $6k budget, I would suggest looking at the Kia Sedona. The second generation Sedona was introduced in 2006 and ran through 2014, with a brief hiatus for 2013 (or at least part of 2013). From 2006-2009, there was also a version sold by Kia's parent company, Hyundai, as the Hyundai Entourage. So the Kia and Hyundai would be worth a look. They weren't nearly as popular as the Japanese vans and they're very plain looking, but they were decently built and generally reliable. They used the same Hyundai 3.8L V6 found in the Hyundai Azera, Hyundai Veracruz and Kia Sorento from the same time period and it has been reliable.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 AM

421 posts, read 546,100 times
Avoid the Routan, neither Chrysler nor VW want to service. It's an orphan vehicle. Plus IIRC it used the 4.0L V6 which is a timing belt motor (one more thing to service).

The Pentastar 3.6L V6 is highly rated, as is the 6 speed automatic in the Caravan. This price though might mean the 3.8L V6 instead. I'd be tempted to buy a Caravan for $3k and save the rest for repairs. Maybe spend $5k and start saving up. While these vans are known for breaking transmissions the transmissions are relatively cheap (grand or two installed?).

I'm not fan of Odessy, they made the transmissions out of glass it seems, and I do believe they are still using timing belts. Toyota on the 3.5L stopped using timing belts but this price range means TB. Both retain value, which means well used at this price level, and I still think of imports as having higher repair costs.

Don't know anything about Kia, sorry.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,764,705 times
Both bad choices, I'm surprised people even consider the problematic Routans.

As for Odysseys, glass trannys were a thing of the past since 2011. They already switched trannys to the same as the Pilot which is a lot beefier. If you buy a 2012+ Odyssey you're fine.

A good buy that nobody cares about Mazda MPV 2008, you can find for under $6k and they are pretty decent.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:13 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,127,454 times
Honda fixed the Odyssey trans issue between the 2004 and 2005 models. They installed a whole new design in 2011, but the issue was resolved since the 2005 model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive