Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:41 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,274,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
ON a related topic, has anyone purchased a car through TRUCAR, an auto buying service advertised on TV?

walessp
If you want a bad deal, use TrueCar. I beat their price by almost $5K last time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:45 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,343,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I have a car salesman who will negotiate price on the car and trade over email. It's SOOOO convenient. We negotiate, agree, and then just pick up the car. 20 minutes is all we spend at the dealer. We've bought our last 7 cars from him. The last one, we'd moved and were over 1500 miles away, but we still bought the car from him vs local, and we just had it transported. Why, because he negotiates over email.
We're is this guy located? I'm about to start the painful process of buying my next new car? UGGGHHHHH!!!!! I HATE IT!!

Old 04-25-2017, 11:01 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,412,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
We're is this guy located? I'm about to start the painful process of buying my next new car? UGGGHHHHH!!!!! I HATE IT!!
Too bad we're not family. I'd be happy to go with you to get a good deal for you no charge, as I have done for some of my family. It's not bad if you take a little time to understand both sides.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:08 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,480,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
Just look around for the guy that looks like he's worked there 30 years.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Pretty much this...

Also, Car dealerships are largely feudal holdovers, meaning they are owned and ran and passed on within closed circles. Meaning, the MBA types, the tech types, etc, have not really penetrated the business with fresh eyes. Carmax has, and Autonation is trying, but they are the exception. They are owned and managed by families and employees that tend not to have much exposure outside the dealership world.
I hadn't thought about this but in my experience you are largely right.

My wife just bought a Toyota Rav-4. She researched what she wanted and the local Toyota dealer had it on the lot. (there was one thing missing she would have liked to have had but close enough, we can add remote start later).

I sold cars 20 some years ago with the current GM. I have like a second cousin that sells there. I called the GM and BSed with him about the old days and told him I wanted the Rav-4 they have on the lot and I wanted my cousin to get credit for the sale. He quoted me invoice (less $2k rebate, which was slightly less than listed anywhere else). I told him to get it ready we would pick it up the next day.

Easy as could be. Granted not everyone has an in like that. But to your point.......this guy had been in the business a very long time.

Last edited by pknopp; 04-25-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 05:51 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,606,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7605a View Post
Always negotiate an out-the door price before you go to the dealership and be firm on your price. Never go up $300 or $200. If your max budget is 10k out-the-door, stick to that. At the same time buy a car which is on the lot and not somewhere else.
And never tell them whether you are going to pay cash or go through financing. Also in the start you can negotiate for a base-model price and then ask them to add options to it but at the same time stick to your out-the-door price.

Always be ready to walk if they don't hold up to what they emailed back and forth. This happened once and after waiting for 2-3 hours, we walked out as they tried to pull a fast one and say "Oh this price is not for 0% financing". So be ready to walk out and don't have any emotions towards a car. Personally I would buy a used car from an owner or through craigslist.
That can be legit, though. Sometimes the manufacture's will offer cash-back OR 0% financing, but not both.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Just look around for the guy that looks like he's worked there 30 years.
They can be the worst.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 PM

10 posts, read 7,721 times
This honestly depends on management at the dealership and how they want their salesman to operate. Also, i've noticed some dealers are so high tech with all the automatic emails etc. that they forget to have a human actually respond and give out prices. You end up replying to an automatic notice from their "manager" only to receive another automatic email back with the same damn information lol.

I've bought tons of brand new cars over the years (for myself, friends/family) and have always done it through the internet. I always joke with friends and family that I can buy a new car quicker than i can take in a car for an oil change. If you do it the right way, you can literally do the entire deal over email or text and pick up the new car on your lunch break.

You have to really think of how consumers are to understand why salesman are the way they are. Many friends/family i know take FOREVER to buy something, even just something basic. They have to do research and look around, they don't wanna spend money on it, then do they, then they don't know etc. lol. It's rare for consumers to actually be truthful when they say they will be up there in an hour to buy the car, bc most likely they have little interest in actually buying anytime soon. Many dealers simply will not deal with selling cars over the internet bc of many issues like that. That's fine, but that means i'm instantly not interested. If that specific dealer has an exact car that I want that other local dealers don't have....i go to another dealer that deals with sales over the internet and let them know i'm interested in that specific car from that other dealer. Unless it's some rare discounted red tag special car, 9 times out of 10 they will do a dealer trade with that dealer. So don't think you have to deal with any specific dealer.

The best way to handle some of these salesman is to map out exactly your deal. So if you say no dealer add ons...state that, state the exact price you are willing to pay and that you will be there that tonight to do the deal. Multiple times i've even offered to leave a deposit on the car so they know i'm being serious.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 PM

10 posts, read 7,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7605a View Post
Always negotiate an out-the door price before you go to the dealership and be firm on your price. Never go up $300 or $200. If your max budget is 10k out-the-door, stick to that. At the same time buy a car which is on the lot and not somewhere else.
And never tell them whether you are going to pay cash or go through financing. Also in the start you can negotiate for a base-model price and then ask them to add options to it but at the same time stick to your out-the-door price.

Always be ready to walk if they don't hold up to what they emailed back and forth. This happened once and after waiting for 2-3 hours, we walked out as they tried to pull a fast one and say "Oh this price is not for 0% financing". So be ready to walk out and don't have any emotions towards a car. Personally I would buy a used car from an owner or through craigslist.
sorry, but that's on you. you either get the rebate or the financing, you can't get both. I've even had friends/family not understand and leave money on the table in those kind of deals even when paying cash. There are rebates if you "finance" with the manufacturer. If you're paying cash, finance with the dealer to get the extra rebate and then pay the loan off immediately after.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
This honestly depends on management at the dealership and how they want their salesman to operate. Also, i've noticed some dealers are so high tech with all the automatic emails etc. that they forget to have a human actually respond and give out prices. You end up replying to an automatic notice from their "manager" only to receive another automatic email back with the same damn information lol.

I've bought tons of brand new cars over the years (for myself, friends/family) and have always done it through the internet. I always joke with friends and family that I can buy a new car quicker than i can take in a car for an oil change. If you do it the right way, you can literally do the entire deal over email or text and pick up the new car on your lunch break.

You have to really think of how consumers are to understand why salesman are the way they are. Many friends/family i know take FOREVER to buy something, even just something basic. They have to do research and look around, they don't wanna spend money on it, then do they, then they don't know etc. lol. It's rare for consumers to actually be truthful when they say they will be up there in an hour to buy the car, bc most likely they have little interest in actually buying anytime soon. Many dealers simply will not deal with selling cars over the internet bc of many issues like that. That's fine, but that means i'm instantly not interested. If that specific dealer has an exact car that I want that other local dealers don't have....i go to another dealer that deals with sales over the internet and let them know i'm interested in that specific car from that other dealer. Unless it's some rare discounted red tag special car, 9 times out of 10 they will do a dealer trade with that dealer. So don't think you have to deal with any specific dealer.

The best way to handle some of these salesman is to map out exactly your deal. So if you say no dealer add ons...state that, state the exact price you are willing to pay and that you will be there that tonight to do the deal. Multiple times i've even offered to leave a deposit on the car so they know i'm being serious.
Not only that but customers lie and make up impossible prices they supposedly got somewhere else. The most fun lies were 'Carmax said they'd give me ____ for my trade in'. Great, I'd say, let's go to Carmax!' And I meant it. If the offer is true, let's go get that money from them, because my used car manager isn't offering that.

When it is a lie, (usually) they start back-peddling. People say bad things about car salespeople but not all are unethical and customers lie too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive