Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 04:42 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times

Advertisements

My story: We had an old van with 185,000 on the clock get a CEL. I took it to a trusted mechanic. I paid $120 to be told that they could not diagnose it without taking the engine apart (my description, not theirs). They said it would cost a minimum of $1200 to $1400 to do that, with no guarantee the cost wouldn't rise once they got it taken apart. I couldn't pay that so we took it back. Over the next 8 months, we tried several remedies like new plugs, wires, coil, fuel injector cleaner, checking vacuum lines, and etc.... We went to three other mechanics, including a dealer. One of the mechanics put a lot of effort in, but all agreed it was probably the head gasket, and possibly something more. I paid $120 to each plus the parts we threw at it. In the end, we realized the first mechanic was right and we should have trusted them and not wasted all that money on it. Since time ran out, and the inspection was due, plus getting a gift from some friends, we gave up and traded it in on a new van, using the gift for the down payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 06:34 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
It's like stocks. We keep the losers and sell the winners. The Achilles heel of today's cars is the dreaded CEL which no one can figure out how to turn off. You learn to live with it until inspection, then it is bye bye. Mine is good for around town and trips to the Home Depot.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 539 times
I've had an S10 at a garage for 2 months! The garage couldn't find the problem (engine hesitate at hwy speeds). The garage would work on it a little each week. I finally said I'm going to need it back. He said the bill for their time is $1700!! They fixed nothing, it's still broken. I complained and told them, that is the entire value of the vehicle. I was expecting a $200-$300 diagnostic charge and whatever the repair had they found one. He said he could help me out and knock it down to $1000... I dunno how to feel. I guess I still feel $1000 is alot to charge someone and not even fix their vehicle. What should I do? I never got a quote. He never informed me that I was being charged hourly rather than their base diagnostic fee... At the same time I don't want to screw them. I feel they should of came to me after a couple hundred dollars and laid it all out rather than just keep charging & charging me...

Old 12-01-2020, 04:22 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,420,277 times
My local lawn mower repair shop has a 35 dollar diagnosis fee. Any repairs and parts are extraSure would hate to pay 35 bucks for the guy to tell me my liitle cheap walmart mower has a bad spark plug

Old 12-01-2020, 04:23 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It's like stocks. We keep the losers and sell the winners. The Achilles heel of today's cars is the dreaded CEL which no one can figure out how to turn off. You learn to live with it until inspection, then it is bye bye. Mine is good for around town and trips to the Home Depot.
Any real mechanic can quickly fix the CEL and many times it isnt expensive to do

Old 12-01-2020, 04:47 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:

Anyone can read what the CEL says.. It takes skill to properly diagnose what it's telling you.

Many times a P0301/P0302 or P0300 will get plugs wires and coils thrown at it just from seeing the codes.

A P0420 they tell you that you need a cat.

And those answers MAY be correct. but, unless you do further diagnosis to verify.. You're loading up the parts cannon.

I don't mind paying for diagnostics. Mechanics time is valuable. I will not pay for him to fire parts at it.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
My local lawn mower repair shop has a 35 dollar diagnosis fee. Any repairs and parts are extraSure would hate to pay 35 bucks for the guy to tell me my liitle cheap walmart mower has a bad spark plug
Then fix it yourself. If you know how

Old 12-02-2020, 05:42 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
My 98 Explorer has been running rough but no error codes. Took it to my mechanic which I've been pretty happy with. He spends a few days, drops the exhaust, checks for vacuum leaks etc but in the end, nothing. Says he suspects valve timing but I obviously wasn't interested in going there. When I go pick up the truck, he presents me a $200 "repair" bill. Ok, I understand the time and all, but he didn't fix anything. He covered his time but what did I get out of it?
Same question: You don't feel good, Dr tells you that you have stage 4 cancer and it is not curable. Do you have to pay the Dr?

Businesses don't run on free/favors. Mechanic gets paid for their time regardless if the problem gets fixed or not.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
There is a dummy tax sometimes........... Some of my best stories revolve around me missing something simple and paying someone else to recognize the problem!

Guess what? I won't miss that issue ever again!

Old 12-02-2020, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood craig View Post
no i wont
Then the mechanic won't release your car........... You might feel great but your riding the bus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive