Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:46 PM

17,611 posts, read 15,298,210 times

Advertisements

So.. Curious if anyone watches any of these and if you have any favorites.. I pop in and watch a handful of them here and there.. One of my favorites is South Main Auto.. A very good, thorough guy. He did a 5 freaking part series on investigating a P0017 on a Chevy Colorado that was.. Really cool. You watch that one and wonder about the guy paying the bill for that repair. His Air Conditioning videos are some that really interest me.

You just wonder about some of these guys.. If they have that much time to do these videos.. But.. That's the one channel that I tend to try to watch every time he uploads a video.. You just wonder where he finds all these weird problems. I'll be watching a video thinking "well, this is gonna be boring.." and it turns into some wild electrical gremlin.. His shop being up north with salted roads probably leads to many of those.

Others that I watch relating to auto repair.. Are just random channels that I find interesting.. I watched several on Seafoaming engines and half of them seem like they were being paid.. Watched a couple on the "Restore" product to restore compression and everyone seems to say it's not snake oil (which I still don't buy).. There's a guy that does Diesel engines.. Watched a couple from a shop that specializes in British cars and those vids were rather old, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 11:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,576,047 times
I used to watch diesel tech Ron. But he got killed a while ago.

Scott Kilmer is another guy

Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,195,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I used to watch diesel tech Ron. But he got killed a while ago.

Scott Kilmer is another guy
I second the vote on Scotty Kilmer.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,429,964 times
He annoys me to no end..... I don't need the "used car salesman volume/voice" blaring at me.

I don't have any people who are favorites (I don't even have a google account), but generally my favorite videos are ones where people just Do and don't yack. Maybe a little explanation here or there, but generally actions speak for themselves. I have to say that normally, if I'm watching a youtube video, it's with the volume off.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 AM

749 posts, read 736,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. Curious if anyone watches any of these and if you have any favorites.. I pop in and watch a handful of them here and there.. One of my favorites is South Main Auto.. A very good, thorough guy. He did a 5 freaking part series on investigating a P0017 on a Chevy Colorado that was.. Really cool. You watch that one and wonder about the guy paying the bill for that repair. His Air Conditioning videos are some that really interest me.

You just wonder about some of these guys.. If they have that much time to do these videos.. But.. That's the one channel that I tend to try to watch every time he uploads a video.. You just wonder where he finds all these weird problems. I'll be watching a video thinking "well, this is gonna be boring.." and it turns into some wild electrical gremlin.. His shop being up north with salted roads probably leads to many of those.

Others that I watch relating to auto repair.. Are just random channels that I find interesting.. I watched several on Seafoaming engines and half of them seem like they were being paid.. Watched a couple on the "Restore" product to restore compression and everyone seems to say it's not snake oil (which I still don't buy).. There's a guy that does Diesel engines.. Watched a couple from a shop that specializes in British cars and those vids were rather old, I believe.
Robert DIY. Good stuff.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:45 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,545,286 times
I watch "Eric the Car Guy" a lot. Not necessarily for his actual tech content, but more for entertainment as he's building a Fairmont that interests me.

As with anything on youtube. Some guys really know their stuff, and other guys have no clue.

I gotta get myself one of these

Old 05-01-2017, 08:21 AM

24,516 posts, read 17,265,170 times
Youtube is very handy to see how something is done before you get into it yourself.
I have probably watched a few over the years by the guys you have mentioned here but I have also seen some real hacks doing more damage than good.

Last week my rear differential was leaking which turned out to be a few pin hole leaks in the cover. I watched a few videos to see if it was something I could fix and sure enough it was easy.

Youtube is a good resource but be sure to watch more than one "how to" in case the supposed expert is actually a Bozo.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 AM

17,611 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Youtube is very handy to see how something is done before you get into it yourself.
I have probably watched a few over the years by the guys you have mentioned here but I have also seen some real hacks doing more damage than good.

Last week my rear differential was leaking which turned out to be a few pin hole leaks in the cover. I watched a few videos to see if it was something I could fix and sure enough it was easy.

Youtube is a good resource but be sure to watch more than one "how to" in case the supposed expert is actually a Bozo.
Oh, I'm not watching them to learn how to fix something normally.. More to observe the diagnostic steps that people do and their mindset for reaching the conclusions that they do.

I watched one last night from South Main Auto about a Dodge Neon that was in a no-crank/no-start situation.. Tracked it back to where there were 2 5 volt references coming into the ECU and one of them was dead. Tracking back through the schematics, there was a splice.. Verified that everything upstream of the splice was working.. At that point.. *I* would have jumpered the thing and been done with it.

He took the time to go slicing into wiring harnesses and find the actual break in the wire. i found that interesting, but something of a waste of time on a car with 200k miles that had obvious front end damage in the past, which led to the problem.

Another one I watched was a stuck open EGR valve which was actually a problem that i've seen in the past where a piece of carbon jammed itself in the valve, holding it open.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:41 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,264,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

That's what I do to decide if I want to tangle with a DIY job or take it to my mechanic.
I also watch more than one. Sometimes one guy will know a trick that another doesn't.
And sometimes a job requires some goofy tool I don't have.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:21 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,069,331 times
Youtube is a great resource,
I couldn't afford to own my volvo if I had to take it to a mechanic. That goes back to my first volvo 740, even more so today with a V70 AWD. Volvo forums are a great source of info but seeing it done visually completes the picture. I've easily spent $2K on tools though.
We just bought a house with a garage, I finally get to set everything (tools) up on the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive