Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 10:50 AM

19,016 posts, read 27,574,271 times

Advertisements

I have a mystery on hand.
It's my 2012 Highlander Hybrid.
Sometimes, rolling between 20-30 mph, driver side front starts shaking. It is strange feel - sort of like as if clutch is slipping, but this car has NO clutches whatsoever. None. It's planetary gear set, gears on gears. Plus, electric motor connecting transmission to engine.
Rolling means, at those speeds, engine is 90% of the time turned off, it turns on after 42mph. Electric motor then works as alternator, charging battery. Never heard of skipping electric motor.
Initially I contributed this to poor roads, but it does same on perfectly fine new tarmac.
Touch gas pedal to accelerate or brakes - shake goes away immediately. NO higher speeds vibration. Makes me doubt it's balance then.
Maybe it's out of round tire... They like doing this at low speeds and I forgot, if it will show or not at higher speeds, been long time I had one.
Highlander Hybrid forum has no idea, those cars are ridiculously reliable.
It got to be something very simple that I miss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 02:29 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
My guess is that it's related to tires. If you have 4 tires all the same size, you can rotate the tires and see if the shake goes with the tire or stays with the driver's side front.

Check your CV joints as well.

One thing to check is just jack that one wheel up and give it a good shake, both top and bottom and side to side.

Check the main big nut that holds the stub axle. Check the lug nuts, simple thing as that could be it.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:39 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,594 times
How many miles on it?

Old 11-01-2016, 03:00 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
You've already posted the be-all and end-all of automotive diagnosis on another thread regarding mechanical condition of a vehicle. Surely you're not afraid to utilize this powerful tool to identify the component(s) on your car that are causing the current problem?

I quote your advice from another recent automotive thread: Prep: take some pictures of the related components of your car, and then:

"Somewhere in privacy, place on the floor. Take wedding band or a simple, no stones, golden ring. Tie thread long enough to hang it about inch over the pic from your fingertips, elbow at 90 degrees.
let ring calm over the pic. Close eyes and concentrate on one thought - Is this good purchase for me? Think it non stop for maybe a minute. open eyes and look down. If ring spins side to side, it's a NO. If it spins in circle, it's a YES.
You can check foods this way too - if they are good for you or not.
You do not have to believe this. Simply listen to the answer. It actually works."

Why don't you ask your "golden ring" if the wheel bearings, tires, axles, or other related mechanical components on your car are good? "Simply listen to the answer. It actually works." End of diagnosis ambiguity about your car, right?

OTOH, maybe it's time to take your car to a qualified knowlegeable tech to let them check it out? You've got a very specific symptom at a certain RPM/speed which is alleviated by a change in RPM. Therein lies the key to what's going on ... a specific resonance or looseness ... which is repeatable.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:50 PM

Thank you.
I think too, it is related to tires. Should have rotated them when had up on the lift doing oil change. Or, simply spin driver front one and hold chalk or marker to the edge. If it has bubble in it..
72 000 miles.
Visual inspection during oil change showed no signs of anything wrong.
It's actually something new. Maybe 2-3 months. I have next week off, I'll get on it.
truck did it today again and the way it felt, it awfully reminded me of last time I had out of round tire. Up-down wobble at low speed.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:57 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
My guess is that it's related to tires. If you have 4 tires all the same size, you can rotate the tires and see if the shake goes with the tire or stays with the driver's side front.

Check your CV joints as well.

One thing to check is just jack that one wheel up and give it a good shake, both top and bottom and side to side.

Check the main big nut that holds the stub axle. Check the lug nuts, simple thing as that could be it.
Agreed. Tires, CV joints, or wheel bearings.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:34 PM

It's coming. 2 more days at work then...

Old 11-02-2016, 06:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,594 times
Shaken not stirred..

Old 11-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
Shaken not stirred..
That's for Aston Martins.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 733 times
Default Same problem here on 2011 Highlander Hybrid

Hi,
I have exactly the same issue as you with the shaking during coasting or slow deceleration. Have you been able to find out what the issue might have been?
I have had all tires balanced which helped but not eliminated the issue.
Thank you! I hope we can solve the mystery

2011 Highlander hybrid, 190k on odometer.
Thanks,
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I have a mystery on hand.
It's my 2012 Highlander Hybrid.
Sometimes, rolling between 20-30 mph, driver side front starts shaking. It is strange feel - sort of like as if clutch is slipping, but this car has NO clutches whatsoever. None. It's planetary gear set, gears on gears. Plus, electric motor connecting transmission to engine.
Rolling means, at those speeds, engine is 90% of the time turned off, it turns on after 42mph. Electric motor then works as alternator, charging battery. Never heard of skipping electric motor.
Initially I contributed this to poor roads, but it does same on perfectly fine new tarmac.
Touch gas pedal to accelerate or brakes - shake goes away immediately. NO higher speeds vibration. Makes me doubt it's balance then.
Maybe it's out of round tire... They like doing this at low speeds and I forgot, if it will show or not at higher speeds, been long time I had one.
Highlander Hybrid forum has no idea, those cars are ridiculously reliable.
It got to be something very simple that I miss...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive