Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:29 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I'd wait a couple of years.
Early reviews suggest that these cars are not sorted.
Depends what sorted means to you. If it means how it drives, more the opposite. Most of the early reviews peg it as the clear driver's car of the bunch.

Alfa Romeo Giulia vs. BMW 330i vs. Audi A4 vs. Mercedes-Benz C300 vs. Cadillac ATS vs. Jaguar XE vs. Lexus IS 200t vs. Volvo S60

Driver's car: Alfa
Performance: A4, Alfa
Fuel economy: Alfa
Cabin luxury: Everything else and in dead last Alfa
Safety: Not rated yet.
Value: Alfa does well but you get less bells and whistles for the cheapest price. Depreciation is also an unknown with Alfa. Not a concern with a lease and given Alfa's other big question, reliability, maybe not a bad way to go. I just drive too much for leasing to make much sense on anything though. Alfa lease isn't that good either though so there's that.

If in the segment, I'd probably look closest at the A4, Alfa, and Lexus IS F-sport because of reliability. Not the IS200T though, I'd spend the extra $3,000 on the 350. I remain not a huge fan of the turbo four bangers in luxury cars. If it's appropriate in any of them, it's the Alfa as it's so short on luxury anyway. Plus it actually sounds good. IS200T perhaps the most inappropriate. It's not like it gets good mileage anyway, sounds like garbage, and it's a fat pig with one of the weakest turbo four pots of the group and meanwhile there's this nice V6 that much better fits the character of the car for not much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 06:54 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
A car magazine (Motor Trend, I believe) tested the Giulia and they were completely in love. Unfortunately the brand new Alfa stalled on a freeway on-ramp and wouldn't restart.
Then the problem began.
Because it sits so low the tow truck driver refused to take it. The poor editor spent some time on the phone until finally the third company agreed to pick it up. The tow truck driver had to use all kind of tricks to get it on a flatbed without doing any damage.
I think I pass. I'm glad I can't afford it.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:45 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It's a sad day that we have to resort to a computer to hear the "exhaust."
Yeah they don't list the 8c on the website being here in North America... truly sad... that sounds like a fun car looks cool too. They do have a 4cyl available here stateside... bet I could shoehorn an LS in it...

Old 05-06-2017, 08:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
There's no Alfa constituency in this country anymore. That generation is gone along with the Veloce and Giulietta. And this Alfa won't last long enough to build another generation. Heck, this iteration will be gone in 3 years. Trust me on that. Look what happened to Fiat. They thought they got it right this time.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
A car magazine (Motor Trend, I believe) tested the Giulia and they were completely in love. Unfortunately the brand new Alfa stalled on a freeway on-ramp and wouldn't restart.
Then the problem began.
Because it sits so low the tow truck driver refused to take it. The poor editor spent some time on the phone until finally the third company agreed to pick it up. The tow truck driver had to use all kind of tricks to get it on a flatbed without doing any damage.
I think I pass. I'm glad I can't afford it.
That was the QV with the fancy carbon diffuses and low ground clearance for an exotic (<4"). No way I'd DD a QV because of the ground clearance even if I could afford it. Not really sure what the big deal was with it. Stinger + dolly (what they used) isn't that uncommon for towing AWD vehicles. That's how I had my GSX towed back from an autocross when I broke a halfshaft. I would have rather have a flat bed but they didn't send one and it was easier to just put it on a dolly than dropping the dive shaft.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
A great looking 4 door car with Italian snob appeal at an attainable price...I'm pretty sure they hit it out of the park with this one and they will sell well... Everybody knows the Italians for outrageously styled 2 seat supercars that nobody can afford but this will actually appeal to a wide audience. I'm not much of a brand loyalist. Once in awhile every automaker will really nail it on one and it's an instant classic. I hate GM but would give my left nut for an '87 Grand National. I went cold on Toyota a long time ago but the '93 Supra was a masterpiece of engineering. That Quadrifoglio will be one of those cars I bet.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:39 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Depends what sorted means to you. . Depreciation is also an unknown with Alfa. Not a concern with a lease and given Alfa's other big question, reliability, maybe not a bad way to go. o.
Oh both are well known......this will be a passionate affair that thrills and disappoints you often and it will cost you more money that you thought it would!

I've owned Alfa sedans in the past. I wouldn't want the base model but I'd take the 505 HP one!

Old 05-07-2017, 07:42 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Yeah they don't list the 8c on the website being here in North America... truly sad... that sounds like a fun car looks cool too. They do have a 4cyl available here stateside... bet I could shoehorn an LS in it...
8C has been out of production for years, less than 100 have been shipped to the US and they were 300K new. I have seen ONE in South Florida it it definitely stood out.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Oh both are well known......this will be a passionate affair that thrills and disappoints you often and it will cost you more money that you thought it would!

I've owned Alfa sedans in the past. I wouldn't want the base model but I'd take the 505 HP one!
If it was in my budget for a weekend car, I'd love to have one as well =D

I just wouldn't DD a QV because of the ground clearance. Too much of a hassle. Moot point as I don't have the money anyway. The base/Ti models are more my price range. I'd probably end up going with a IS350F though just because of reliability or at least waiting a while to see if they iron out some of the early production kinks. I mean, if I had a second car and was just leasing it I wouldn't really care but I probably would be replacing my car rather than adding another one. Having not driven it and just going by what has been written, I'd rather drive a base Alfa than an IS350F but I'm not sure I want to deal with owning one.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:30 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
I would not take anything home if I had to make payments on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive