Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:34 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Glycols ARE alcohols:

https://www.britannica.com/science/glycol

And DOT 3 brake fluid will absorb moisture over time.

Don in Austin

This^

Main difference between Dot3 and Dot4 is the wet/dry boiling point of Dot 4 is higher due to borate being added to the glycol mix. If you don't know what that means, just stick to what the manual recommends.

I usually bleed brake fluid every 2 years on my daily drivers, and every year on my project/track car. I always notice an improvement in pedal feel. I've always manuals seem to be a bit "lacking" in terms of brake fluid flush interval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I would change the brake fluid if it's dark. You can do a partial replacement of power steering fluid by using a syringe to pull most of the fluid out of the reservoir, doing a full fluid replacement would involve taking things apart, and this is not really necessary. You can do a few partial replacements over a few weeks or months, and that should clean it up.
This is how I was taught to do it with a turkey baster.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:48 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
This is how I was taught to do it with a turkey baster.

That's how I do my PS fluid. Turkey baster drain, and then top off. Wait a few days, and then repeat.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:13 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I advocate this method for both brake, steering and clutch fluid. I call it the turkey baster procedure.

I open the top of the master, use a turkey baster to pull off the fluid in the reservoir, refill with clean fluid. Drive around awhile, then do it again until it remains clear and not murky grey or black. I do this a couple of times per year or whenever the fluid looks murky rather than clear.
This is better than nothing, but, the dirtiest brake fluid is in the calipers and/or slave cylinders. Best to bleed from them, adding fluid to the master as you go.

As to "flush" versus "drain and refill" - for *transmissions*, yeah, you want to drain and refill, some "flush" machines seem to stir up sediments that were minding their own business and get them back into circulation where they can cause trouble. For *brake systems* it makes no sense to fully drain the fluid and then have to work to get all the air out. So here you "flush" in terms of pulling old fluid out of the wheel cylinders or calipers, and adding to the master cylinder before it empties fully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive