Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:28 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times

Advertisements

I personally don't hear people being talked down to because they do their own wrenching. I do hear a lot of, "It is just easier for me to pay someone", or something along those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 12:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I personally don't hear people being talked down to because they do their own wrenching. I do hear a lot of, "It is just easier for me to pay someone", or something along those lines.
Another thing people forget...just bc you don't do it doesn't mean you don't know how.

The value of time must be figured into any activity you do not enjoy, whether it's cleaning a toilet or changing oil.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:33 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
+1 on only having heard the opposite. From getting ripped off, not being able to trust shops, making fun of for not being able to turn a wrench, etc.

I do it because I actually do enjoy it. Even a simple oil change. Just on my own car though.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
It's a hobby for me to detail and maintain my cars myself. Once the initial included maintenance intervals are done on new car purchases, I take over most of the maintenance except for what I don't want/have time for.

If someone else doesn't like my hobby, good for them.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:39 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
It's possible, in fact, extremely likely, that I'm the only guy in my entire county who changes his own oil on a Mercedes E550.

Can't find an oil filter in stock for that car locally within 50 miles of me, has to be ordered online. When I went into an auto parts store and asked for one, they looked at me like I had three heads LOL!

Old 05-15-2017, 01:06 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I often hear folks at my work say that working on cars is a waste of time and just lease it and drop it off at the dealership and they love talking about the new Courtesy car the dealer just let them have and they're thinking about swapping it when the lease is up.
Who gives a hoot, Vision?

Although I have two vehicles (one 30 plus years old), my access to proper tools and space as well as adequate knowledge completely limits me accomplishing anything more than basic maintenance . . . and I do mean BASIC MAINTENANCE.

However, I have the utmost respect for anyone who is willing to make the attempt.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:15 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
It's possible, in fact, extremely likely, that I'm the only guy in my entire county who changes his own oil on a Mercedes E550.

Can't find an oil filter in stock for that car locally within 50 miles of me, has to be ordered online. When I went into an auto parts store and asked for one, they looked at me like I had three heads LOL!

Same here. Back when I had a new C300, I did the oil change myself. Walked into a dealer, asked for a filter and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Honestly, I've seen it argued both ways. I've seen guys make arrogant statements like "the only two tools I need are my checkbook and a pen", and other guys claim that people who don't know how to do anything with their hands aren't fit to contribute to society.

Personally, I don't care either way. If I want to change my own oil, what's it matter to someone else?

Old 05-15-2017, 01:46 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,654 times
Not really. I work in management at a large company and when people find out that I change my own oil and do minor maintenance on my car they reaction is "wow, really? That's cool!" I wouldn't say look down and in fact they are semi-impressed, but it's very uncommon.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:50 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
We got a lead on a mechanic who will fix our car in his spare time for $200 labor+parts. I'd like to kiss him all over, but that would be wrong.

Our estimate was $2400. But now we'll come in under $1000.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I had a so called friend that used to own his own garage before he retired and I say used to because whenever I asked him some advice for repairing my boat or cars he would call me nothing but a shade tree mechanic that knows just enough to get myself into trouble. There came a time when I stopped asking his advice but he sure wasn't done with giving his to me so I cut him off.
Who needs some old crotch putting you down?

He knew that years ago before I met him I had built my own car that he thought was cool when I drove it over his house but he was never that interested I think because he was a GM guy and mine was a Ford.

I never claimed to be a mechanic but I am more of a parts swapper and I know my way around the outside of an engine but there are guys out there that look down on people who do their own work.
Most mechanics today are parts swappers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
That's what I hear. And that's fine. If you have the money or don't have the knowledge or just don't want to do it that's fine. Looking down on someone because they work on their cars is wrong.
I never had anyone say anything. I don't mind working on my cars. And if someone looks down on me that's their problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive