Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 09:02 PM

680 posts, read 536,228 times

Advertisements

I see these mandatory fees being pushed on customers. $300, $500, $700+ for documentation. Is there a legitimate reason these exist besides making money for the dealer? Have any of you had success negotiating these or completely eliminating them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 09:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
It’s usually $799 in my area.

They say it’s non negotiable, so I always ask what the doc fee is right from the start, and then use that when negotiating the final price. It’s funny the look on the salesperson’s face when I ask “what’s your doc fee”. They don’t like to answer the question but there’s no way around it.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,772,282 times
There is absolutely nothing mandatory about these fees. They are dealer padding, always have been, and I know from personal experience that many dealers will let a sale fall through rather than waive the fee.

And both the levels and the sheer chutzpa of dealers in demanding them has reached all-time highs. But people keep walking into dealerships, dropping their pants, and begging for it.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:06 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,818,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There is absolutely nothing mandatory about these fees. They are dealer padding, always have been, and I know from personal experience that many dealers will let a sale fall through rather than waive the fee.

And both the levels and the sheer chutzpa of dealers in demanding them has reached all-time highs. But people keep walking into dealerships, dropping their pants, and begging for it.
Um, more often than not, they are absolutely mandatory. A salesman is rarely (if ever) allowed to avoid collecting the documentation fee. It is mandatory that he/she does so.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:22 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,772,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Um, more often than not, they are absolutely mandatory. A salesman is rarely (if ever) allowed to avoid collecting the documentation fee. It is mandatory that he/she does so.
A dealership owner or manager saying it's mandatory does not make it mandatory in any meaningful sense.

Customers are told, often in flat-out lies, that it's some kind of governmentally-mandated charge, and only the most persistent find out it's just a business charge, which is for some inexplicable reason absolutely, totally "mandatory."

It's flat-out grift.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:26 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,869,126 times
Once I was told it is the law. I asked to see the law, but the dealership could not produce any papers/laws.

The max I pay is $80 for them to do the dealership stuff. I recently bought a used car from a private owner and took me 20 minutes in the AAA office to register. So, if the dealer wants to charge me more, I say give me the papers, I will do the leg work. Then they back off.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:32 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,027,138 times
Quote:
A dealership owner or manager saying it's mandatory does not make it mandatory in any meaningful sense.

Customers are told, often in flat-out lies, that it's some kind of governmentally-mandated charge, and only the most persistent find out it's just a business charge, which is for some inexplicable reason absolutely, totally "mandatory."

It's flat-out grift.
But isn't it really the consumer who promoted this practice? If Car Dealer A is selling a car for $24.999 but also has a $400 doc fee, they are likely to be seen by consumers as having the low price if Dealer B is selling that same vehicle for $25,001 with no additional doc fee. Lets face it, many consumers are still suckers for the low cost with fee scam so why shouldn't the dealer rip off those idiots?

Old 06-02-2019, 11:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,818,522 times
Quote:

It's flat-out grift.
I'm not sure what you mean by "meaningful sense"... as when a dealership says it's mandatory to collect a documentation fee, it's legitimately mandatory for the sales staff to collect the documentation fee. It's not that complicated.

Neither the OP, or any definition requires something to be mandated by the government for it to be mandatory. This is just something that you're making up for some inexplicable reason.

As per my previous post, documentation fee is almost always mandatory.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:49 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,826,008 times
Quote:

It's flat-out grift.
I agree! Its only "mandatory" for the dealership lol

Old 06-03-2019, 03:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
If you were a decent person you would pay double.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive