Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,759 times

Advertisements

My first car is nearing the end of its life, and I need to replace it. I was wanting to replace it with another car, but here lately I have become more interested in SUV's. The only problem is I don't know what one to go for, because it seems that all the ones that look good have a lot of mechanical trouble, and all of the ones with good records are either way out of my price range, use way too much gas, or look lame. I read consumer reports and some of the SUV's that they rated above average I've heard some really bad things on the internet about. Does anyone have any advice on a good SUV to buy for street driving that was made between 96 and 01?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 12:35 AM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
You should take the time to search a bit before you start a new thread.....

SUV opinions

Old 03-20-2008, 12:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,759 times
I have searched. I got out the consumer guides from those years and looked up every one I could find. I liked the blazer but I knew that their maitnence records sucked, I liked the 98 isuzu rodeo and consumer reports rated it at a little above average, but i've heard some really bad cases with those on the internet. And the ones that got really good ratings either were out of my price range like the toyota models. I have been saving up for a new car for a while and don't want to invest in a money trap. I know this is really vague, but I have never really had an interest in SUV's until this past year, and I don't know much about the SUVs of those years.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 AM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwink88 View Post
I have searched. I got out the consumer guides from those years and looked up every one I could find. I liked the blazer but I knew that their maitnence records sucked, I liked the 98 isuzu rodeo and consumer reports rated it at a little above average, but i've heard some really bad cases with those on the internet. And the ones that got really good ratings either were out of my price range like the toyota models. I have been saving up for a new car for a while and don't want to invest in a money trap. I know this is really vague, but I have never really had an interest in SUV's until this past year, and I don't know much about the SUVs of those years.
Actually I meant search this automotive forum...The link I provided leads to a discussion on suvs on the forum. I can't really help you on the older suvs, but I bought a Forester last spring. It is classed as a crossover, but performs very well and is highly rated.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
If you live in the southwest or can get a car from that part of the country where catastrophic rust does not live, I strongly suggest forgetting any SUV and getting a 1992 to 1995 Buick Roadmaster Wagon. Decent highway milage (22- 27 expressway and 19-21 around town) and very comfortable on long trips. Mine has been as reliable as an anvil and is approaching 180 K. These thing may be the best cars GM ever made. I know when this one finally rusts out I will look for another in Arizona or New Mexico.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwink88 View Post
My first car is nearing the end of its life, and I need to replace it. I was wanting to replace it with another car, but here lately I have become more interested in SUV's. The only problem is I don't know what one to go for, because it seems that all the ones that look good have a lot of mechanical trouble, and all of the ones with good records are either way out of my price range, use way too much gas, or look lame. I read consumer reports and some of the SUV's that they rated above average I've heard some really bad things on the internet about. Does anyone have any advice on a good SUV to buy for street driving that was made between 96 and 01?
The vehicles you are interested in are of such an old age - posted opinions or reviews may just be irrelevant snapshots in time. What you need to find is a vehicle with perhaps just one owner, relatively low mileage, no accident history, and in good condition. I'd also aim for getting a heck of a price since you're buying past the middle of a vehicle's life cycle. Last but not least, I remember that era (the mid-to-late 90s) as one in which US made vehicles were lagging in reliability and design compared to Honda, Toyota, and some of the other foreign manufacturers. Thus I'd focus on SUVs from the reliable brands to hedge your bets on procuring something which will last another 5 or more years.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
buy a toyota

Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,429,941 times
You don't mention what your price range is?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 AM

563 posts, read 2,570,717 times
I agree with previous poster, you did not mention price range but If you are going for an older car, for reliability and decent mileage/gas, why not check out an older Honda CR-V. I do not know how much room you need or what your definition of SUV is but for mainly street driving, that car offers you some room and flexibility that you may not get with a car. My parents had a 2001 and my brother got it from them. It was reliable. He got into an accident with it due to black ice a few winters ago when he lived in upstate NY. Rolled the car, totalled it, and walked away with bumps and bruises. It saved his life. It also kept its resale value which in our case, helped with the insurance claim. He racked up the mileage on it too so it will go the distance. He has a Jeep Liberty now and hates it.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:14 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
I agree, what is your price range? Would help out abit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive