Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:27 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times

Advertisements

For the YM 2014 and 2015 Toyota lead the industry with the most cars recalled. Yeah, that's a brand ya want in the garage. For YM 2016, Honda has the most recalls. Seems these cars have something in common.....like Japanese. So far, for the YM 2017 VW leads with the most recalled cars. Damn, doesn't seem to be a US made car on that list. Wonder what the rest of the world knows that CR hasn't got a clue about? Maybe the entire auto industry. We get this same stupid thread every year and every year it ends up being a Toyota fanboy chest beating contest. If you like your Toyota or inmport, have at it. I'll stick with a known reliable vehicle that I've had 40 years experience of buying. Amazing though, my youngest girl and my brothers wife both drive fairly new Toyota Fore Runner Limiteds, a 2016 and a 2017. Neither of which I would depend on to get me across town. Yeah, they really are that crappy. But then, some folks just like crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:57 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
IMO - "reliability" is subjective. Some people simply take better care of their cars. And their perspective would impact these surveys. How do you normalize the answers from a DIY car buff vs. someone who has zero knowledge of cars and has to take it to the shop for everything?

A better gauge would be to talk about recalls or commonly reported issues.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:59 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
This report appears to show the most reliable 2017 models in 2017.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Toyota is synonymous with quality. Their cars are not only well engineered, they are well built and thoroughly tested before they hit the market. The American built Toyotas are just as reliable as their Japanese counterparts. US Toyota workers are well trained, well paid and if they do good work, have excellent job security.

Detroit cars are built by the UAW. They are put on the market too early and the public has to test them and are put out when the cars are invariably brought in for warranty repairs. The best warranty is the one you never have to use. My final Detroit 3 car was taken in for warranty work over a dozen times. None of the Japanese brand cars needed any work during their warranty period.

I value reliability above all else, so for the past 17 years, I have only bought Toyotas. My 24 year old 1993 Nissan truck, built in Tennessee has been excellent, too. It has needed less than $1000 in repairs in the 24 years I have owned it.

I sure wish we could have shown you our 2014 Toyota Venza. We bought it new with 6 miles on it. Within 10,000 miles the panoramic roof exploded taking an offramp from the interstate. Toyota replaced it under warranty. Not long after we began hearing a popping noise in the roof any time we went over train tracks or a hump that flexed the chassis. Thereafter the windshield began leaking at the top corner. A week after that, the windshield split right up the middle. On the way to drop it back off at the dealership, the seatback weld broke and dumped my wife while going down the highway.

During all of this the only thing we heard from our Toyota case manager was "Toyota is known for quality, so we cannot understand how this can be happening." She ignored my picture evidence that we weren't the only Toyota owner with the problems. They eventually told us to live with it. At 33k miles (3k miles shy of the warranty ending) we traded it in on a Ford Expedition.

Our friend is the local service manager and he said this issue along with Camry sunroofs exploding, etc... are all well recognized by Toyota but are swept under the rug for the sake of their reputation. Some people get them fixed, some can't. The chassis was designed without enough structure and allowed the body to flex too much. The weakest link has to let go and it's usually the glass.

I could go on to add how our 2008 Camry SE was consuming 2 quarts of oil between changes and how the service manager told us to dump it because the 2.4L engine had a flaw in the engine design where the pistons were ovalled and the rings wouldn't seal. Also a known issue that they fought tooth and nail to keep from repairing.

You can keep your Toyotas. In all my years of owning vehicles, since about 2000 the domestic vehicles have provided us with much more reliability and dependability than any import we have owned.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:39 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Surveys are nothing but a self fulfilling prophecy. If you agree with the results, the survey confirms what you believe. If your beliefs differ from the survey, then the survey is crap.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I just read another report from England. The top cars with the most problems. Lexus was on the list.

Here is another list of worse:

Steer clear of these 10 least reliable cars | Clark Howard
I feel like you didn't read this article before you posted it.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Surveys are nothing but a self fulfilling prophecy. If you agree with the results, the survey confirms what you believe. If your beliefs differ from the survey, then the survey is crap.
No.
Those are mind games SOME people play in order to reinforce their own beliefs.

I never liked Japanese, I never considered Japanese, and I was rah rah Murka! with my cars for 20 years...and as much as I tried to keep up the rah rah, it just became abundantly clear how much better they are in terms of reliability.
I finally had to dedcide with my head rather than my heart with my last SUV purchase. Toyota.
The heart gets to pick my sports cars. *grin*

Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Rav 4 imported from Canada

Old 10-31-2017, 12:45 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I feel like you didn't read this article before you posted it.
The info is not the point. The lists are the point. Everyone has a list.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:05 PM

604 posts, read 653,408 times
most reliable car is Porsche, too bad majority cannot afford one...

I have drivability as #1 priority, would never again purchase a boat like motion car (Toyota, etc), so most cars/appliances are not an option for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive