Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:15 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,538,752 times

Advertisements

I own a 2001 Toyota Camry and I've recently noticed that when I start the car there's a squeeling sound for a few seconds. This is especially prevalent if the car hasn't been started for 12 hours or more. If the car is already warmed up it usually doesn't happen. The sound goes away after about 10-20 seconds. I had a couple belts (not timing belt) changed a few months ago and I'm not sure if this is related to the sound. Right now my car has nearly 90,000 miles on it so I know it's due for a timing belt change, which I intend to get soon. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a possible source of this noise and if I should be concerned with it. Could it be the timing belt telling me it's on it's last legs? I know next to nothing about cars so any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 05:28 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,927,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I own a 2001 Toyota Camry and I've recently noticed that when I start the car there's a squeeling sound for a few seconds. This is especially prevalent if the car hasn't been started for 12 hours or more. If the car is already warmed up it usually doesn't happen. The sound goes away after about 10-20 seconds. I had a couple belts (not timing belt) changed a few months ago and I'm not sure if this is related to the sound. Right now my car has nearly 90,000 miles on it so I know it's due for a timing belt change, which I intend to get soon. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a possible source of this noise and if I should be concerned with it. Could it be the timing belt telling me it's on it's last legs? I know next to nothing about cars so any help would be appreciated.

I think you can probably rule the timing belt out; it's most likely one of the belts you had replaced. Either too tight or loose, you have to tension them properly, for sure.

Generally, if the timing belt is really bad/worn it'll start jumping teeth on the cam sprockets- with potentially disastrous results. So get that thing changed!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,698,168 times
YEP, it's a fan belt! Unlikely a timing belt 'cause if it made any noise your engine would go outta time and not run worth crap if it ran at all.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:34 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,180,930 times
I'll go one steep further and say it's the Alternator.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,679,670 times
Always be concerned when your machine is not operating properly and you don't understand why. Failure to take care of issues because "it still runs" has been the premature death of many an automobile.

This actually does sound like your drive belts for sure. (But not the timing belt.) Bring it back the people who installed them. The job might not have been done correctly. It's been known to happen. They should look at it again at no charge, and fix it if it's just a minor adjustment.

Although it could be an early warning of a failing part, it's most likely that they just didn't put enough tension on the belts when they were installed. Or else they used substandard replacement parts* and the belt(s) stretched a bit--still, that can be retightened and you should be good to go.

*Very common with Chinese-made parts--they're cheap for a reason, and it's not just the slave labor.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
YEP, it's a fan belt! Unlikely a timing belt 'cause if it made any noise your engine would go outta time and not run worth crap if it ran at all.
It's not a fan belt, Grandpa. The Camry has an electric fan.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,447,267 times
lol I think it's okay to still call it a fan belt.

Any money it's the belts you has replaced. The belt on my YJ was 4 months old before it started making little chirps. Then it started to sound like idler pulleys. Changed those, sound came back. Changed my fan clutch, sound came back.

Threw the old belt on (I keep it as a spare) just for ****s & giggles.....sound GONE!

Seriously, give it a try. Sometimes a new belt is just bad. Keep the old ones as a back up, in your trunk incase you break one out on the road.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,698,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
It's not a fan belt, Grandpa. The Camry has an electric fan.
For crying out loud!

In common terms the serpentine belt can also be called a fan belt!

Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,184,428 times
Well, it's certainly belt-related, usually because something is slipping. Question is, why? Is the new belt too long? Is the tensioner crapping out? Is it just a crappy belt? We knows, but I'd say take it back to the shop and have them fix it.

Mike

Old 09-15-2012, 08:11 PM

Just joking around because actual belt driven fans are increasingly rare.

Would'na done it if you didn't call yourself Grandpa, ya know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive