Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 01:57 PM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks ago, I got out of my car for some reason while it was still running, and I noticed that one tail light was burned out. I was going away for New Year's, and I was due for an oil change, so I figured I'd get it fixed after the holidays.

Completely forgot about it. Then the other night, I had to go somewhere in the evening for business. It was about a thirty-mile drive. After the event, when it was dark, I started driving home. Somebody came up behind me and flashed their lights. I thought it was someone wanting to pass, but I was on a main-street type road in a town, and that seemed weird, but the person turned anyway. A few minutes later while on the highway, someone did the same thing and suddenly I remembered the tail light and thought, "Uh, oh, what if BOTH are out?" I couldn't do anything at that point but drive home, and sure enough, both tail lights were out. Fortunately, I passed three or four cops who already had other people pulled over, and they missed me. Got them fixed the next day, and the guy informed me that both my license plate lights were out, so I had him change them, too.

But...how do you know? How would someone know if their tail lights--or license plates lights--were out when you can't see them from inside the car? There is no indicator to let you know a light is out. In the few times that I had a burned-out tail light, I knew because someone else noticed and told me. This is the first time in 40 years of driving that both lights were out at the same time.

Just curious as to how other people know when their lights are out. Headlights you can tell if you pull up to a store or something and see the reflection in the window.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-14-2018 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 02:17 PM

730 posts, read 1,662,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just curious as to how other people know when their lights are out. Headlights you can tell if you pull up to a store or something and see the reflection in the window.

My wife found out that the left taillight was burned out - when a cop pulled her over and gave her a ticket.

Even though there was no fine when I submitted the receipt for a new tail light bulb, there was a $25.00 administrative fee.

Maybe we just need to check on a periodic basis by backing up close to a reflective surface and checking the blinker, running, back up and tail lights.

I think some of the newer cars will detect this and put a warning light on the dashboard.

Also, some of the newer cars have LED "bulbs" that last for the life of the car.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:27 PM

672 posts, read 702,231 times
I had a 95 Buick Park Avenue that had a lights out indicator. It was very useful. It would even indicate which one was out. I'm not sure why this isn't a standard feature on cars since it's technically a safety issue. I've said this to myself for years. It could be a simple indicator on the instrument panel that lets you know that one of your lights are out and you can investigate it yourself. It doesn't have to be anything complicated.

If you have a car that has delayed headlamps you could just do a walk around every once in awhile. To check the brakes you can just get something heavy enough to press down on the brake pedal check the brake lights. I do this periodically. Or you can find out the most expensive way and let the cops tell you, no action required.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:43 PM

17,367 posts, read 12,321,062 times
That’s just part of my own periodic inspection every month. Check oil level, tire pressure, and all lights.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:39 PM

7,798 posts, read 6,420,545 times
When you are in a strip shopping center, check your reflection in the windows of the shops.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
When you are in a strip shopping center, check your reflection in the windows of the shops.
As I said in the OP, that's how I check the headlights! The morning after I realized they were out, I went to the bank across from the auto parts store, and I backed up my car so I could check the brake lights, too. They were OK.

I bought the bulbs. I'd looked it up on YouTube and they made changing bulbs look easy, but I couldn't get the thing out and figured I might break something. Took it to a mechanic.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
I had a 95 Buick Park Avenue that had a lights out indicator. It was very useful. It would even indicate which one was out. I'm not sure why this isn't a standard feature on cars since it's technically a safety issue. I've said this to myself for years. It could be a simple indicator on the instrument panel that lets you know that one of your lights are out and you can investigate it yourself. It doesn't have to be anything complicated.

If you have a car that has delayed headlamps you could just do a walk around every once in awhile. To check the brakes you can just get something heavy enough to press down on the brake pedal check the brake lights. I do this periodically. Or you can find out the most expensive way and let the cops tell you, no action required.
Hahaha, that's what I don't want!

Of course, I have an advantage in that regard. I am 59 years old. A friend of mine who is a detective told me that women my age are invisible to cops. They are looking for either young, attractive women, or men who look as though they are up to no good. He said, "You could drive through the middle of town with a joint in one hand and a beer in the other, and the cops' eyes will pass right over you."

Not going to check to see if that's literally true, but I haven't been pulled over in years. Hope I didn't just jinx myself...

Old 01-14-2018, 06:09 PM

17,658 posts, read 15,366,880 times
Quote:
tag lights.. Anyone who ever gets a ticket for that is the unluckiest person in the world.

Brake lights.. That's something you should be checking, or having someone check every month or two. As you noticed.. Bulbs usually go out in fairly similar times. After all, most people replace them as a pair, so it only makes sense.

As for how to tell.. Where I live, there's no light at night unless there's alot of moonlight, so, I generally can tell by seeing the brake lights through the side view mirrors.. And, since I'm in a truck, the bed is illuminated by the high mount brake light.

Turn signals.. My truck does a 'fast flash' if one is out. That's how I knew one of my DRLs was out (Though you can see them with your window reflection trick as well)

I've seen older Hondas that actually had a light on the dash that was labelled "Brake Light". And that was in an 80's car, I think.. Makes you wonder why that didn't become rather standard.. Not that hard to tell one is out based on amperage draw/voltage drop.

I actually got pulled over for no brake lights a few years ago.. I had checked them a few weeks before, all was fine.. Cop asked if I knew why he pulled me over.. I had no idea.. He told me I had both brake lights out.. Told him that was a good reason.. He didn't write the ticket and I had them fixed that night.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,612,911 times
My car and my truck have LED tail and brake lights, so I just check them every now and then. My Jeep doesn't, so I check to see the reflection of the tail lights on the garage door when I start it up. I also tap my brake to ensure those lights are working. If you park outside, do a walk around once a week. I wedge my snow scraper between the brake pedal and the seat so I can check my brake lights. Or, as others have said, check the relections at the local strip mall.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,639,819 times
Quote:
A couple of weeks ago, I got out of my car for some reason while it was still running, and I noticed that one tail light was burned out. I was going away for New Year's, and I was due for an oil change, so I figured I'd get it fixed after the holidays.

Completely forgot about it. Then the other night, I had to go somewhere in the evening for business. It was about a thirty-mile drive. After the event, when it was dark, I started driving home. Somebody came up behind me and flashed their lights. I thought it was someone wanting to pass, but I was on a main-street type road in a town, and that seemed weird, but the person turned anyway. A few minutes later while on the highway, someone did the same thing and suddenly I remembered the tail light and thought, "Uh, oh, what if BOTH are out?" I couldn't do anything at that point but drive home, and sure enough, both tail lights were out. Fortunately, I passed three or four cops who already had other people pulled over, and they missed me. Got them fixed the next day, and the guy informed me that both my license plate lights were out, so I had him change them, too.

But...how do you know? How would someone know if their tail lights--or license plates lights--were out when you can't see them from inside the car? There is no indicator to let you know a light is out. In the few times that I had a burned-out tail light, I knew because someone else noticed and told me. This is the first time in 40 years of driving that both lights were out at the same time.

As I tow trailers usually do a walk around my car when I’m fueling up. I just hit the hazards and headlight switch. I also check my oil level and peek under the hood.
In some cars (on my Kia) if a tail light is burned out the cruise control stops working and won’t set. I found this out by accident. My third brake light was burned out and the cruise light would come on but wouldn’t set. Read up and found that was a thing for that vehicle to check if the cruise didn’t work. Replaced the bulb cruise works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive