Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:50 PM

3,774 posts, read 4,120,461 times

Advertisements

CarMax is great if you can't find what you want at other dealers. Several years ago I bought a slightly used, one year old truck at CarMax. I had a hard time finding that model of truck with a bench seat. Every new and used car dealer had that same model with a huge plastic center console between narrow bucket seats. CarMax shipped one with a bench seat over from one of their other locations for me at no cost. I bought it immediately; didn't even bother to test drive it.

As a warning, CarMax has the most obnoxious car salesmen on earth. They used to advertise that their salespeople don't work on commission, implying that they do not have the sales pressure that they have in other dealerships. Apparently, they still have quotas, putting pressure on them to sell cars or find another job. When I first saw the truck that they had shipped there for me, the salesman asked me very sarcastically if this is what I really want, not just once, but several times. Why he had that attitude is beyond me as I knew what I wanted when I first walked into the dealership. I did not look at multiple makes and models like most buyers. I paid cash and it wasn't easy; he seemed quite annoyed that he had to write up a cash sale. Now that I think about it, he was probably mad that I didn't buy the optional warranty.

A couple of years later, I test drove a late model luxury car there, and during the test drive the salesman begged me to buy it as he hadn't made any sales and was about to lose his job. I didn't buy it as there was not enough head or leg room. Due to the obnoxious employees, I would not visit CarMax again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 01:50 PM

16,335 posts, read 10,469,160 times
CarMax sales folks are 100% commission, if they were marketing differently they were being dishonest.

I loved bench seats, sure do miss them. What kind of truck had a bench seat today?

Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,248,101 times
I've had two very good experiences with CarMax, both with cars that I had transferred. The first had some problems and the dealership bent over backwards to repair the car and make me happy. I like that I can choose from a nationwide inventory with no-haggle sales and excellent interest rates. Neither the bank nor the insurance company could match their rate, so I once again financed through CarMax. I would look there again if I need another car. I think the difference must be in the local operations, because all the salesmen I dealt with were helpful and cheerful. The service people were excellent.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:08 PM

15,569 posts, read 7,583,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Slight overpriced compared to other dealers. Massively overpriced compared to a private part sale.
I'm not that familiar with their warranties.
They can finance pretty much anyone for any car. Their rates tend to be slightly higher in my experience.

I've gone to CarMax on several occasions to buy a car, bu their prices are simply too high. They have a huge selection and the buying process is very easy, but their pricing and trade-in estimates are for suckers. Interestingly, my local CarMax dealer also sells new Toyotas - and has the best prices around.
The last two cars my Mom sold were for the same price as CarMax showed for similar models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You pay for convenience and I'm not willing to do that. However they, have a great inventory so I go there to test drive the makes and models I am interested in so I can decide, then I go to Autotrader or Cargurus and find it for much less.
So, you essentially steal time and effort from CarMax? That's my belief when folks go to a retailer with no intention of buying at all.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:39 PM

9,550 posts, read 4,374,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
CarMax sales folks are 100% commission, if they were marketing differently they were being dishonest.

I loved bench seats, sure do miss them. What kind of truck had a bench seat today?
I just bought a 2018 Chevy Silverado LT extended cab. While the front seat is not one contiguous bench, you can flip the center console up and sit 3 across comfortably. The shifter is on the column, so it's very similar to the trucks of the past. The higher trim levels have huge center consoles and floor shifters, but if you stick to trim levels that are aimed at people who actually use trucks as trucks, you can get a useful bench-like seat. I believe Dodge and Ford are similar.

For some reason, the ultra expensive King Chicken Coupe Billy Bob Deliverance Edition trim levels are targeted to folks who don't mind giving up functionality for image.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:00 PM

6,579 posts, read 7,185,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
To be fair, if you followed the whole story Carmax discontinued that warranty offering after Doug profiled his experience with it!

New warranty is more money (like double) and covers less. Doug's latest buy was an AMG Mercedes that was CPO from a Benz dealer.
He bought it from the dealer I go to often, I remember seeing that white wagon.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:35 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,338,529 times
Carmax is the biggest rip off place to buy a car. It's for people who have no balls to stand up for themselves so they go to Carmax so that they don't have to demand for a fair price. Carmax = where whimps go buy their cars.

I can go anywhere in my town and get a better deal that what Carmax can offer and it's not even close.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:52 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,101,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Carmax is the biggest rip off place to buy a car. It's for people who have no balls to stand up for themselves so they go to Carmax so that they don't have to demand for a fair price. Carmax = where whimps go buy their cars.

I can go anywhere in my town and get a better deal that what Carmax can offer and it's not even close.

Carmax pays more for used cars from private parties, then cleans them up and goes over them before selling them. Since they paid more, they charge more. It's pretty simple. They also don't keep questionable cars to resell and instead send them on to auction like other dealers. What's left are cars in much better condition than you often find on the corner used car lot. In MOST places they also have a much wider selection to choose from, so it's often easier to find exactly what you want with less hassle. And yes, for a lot of people, reducing the hassle of it all is worth it.

Good for you that you like to be confrontational and dive your "hard bargain." Doesn't make others who don't want to be confrontational into "wimps," tough guy.

I've never bought there because they don't carry the kinds of cars I tend to be interested in buying (specialty enthusiast cars) but I can definitely see the appeal.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,915,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Is anyone familiar with car max?

-their asking prices -fair or over priced?
-their warranties - decent?
-their financing - # months/interest rates?
-satisfaction or not with buying from them?
-would you be a repeat customer if in need of another vehicle?
1) Fair
2) Good
3) Don't know, but since they are huge, I'd assume comparable to other used car dealers
4) If you don't want/ like to haggle and their price is better than "guaranteed" prices from sites like True Car, Edmonds... then I'd assume so
5) Probably, because I hate haggling.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:08 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
To be fair, if you followed the whole story Carmax discontinued that warranty offering after Doug profiled his experience with it!

New warranty is more money (like double) and covers less. Doug's latest buy was an AMG Mercedes that was CPO from a Benz dealer.
Is that the case with any and all cars? Or is it just with the one's that are going to be notoriously expensive? I mean, I can't imagine you could make for great web traffic buying a Ford Escape and putting their warranty to the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Is anyone familiar with car max?

-their asking prices -fair or over priced? It depends, they're used cars and every one is unique. They tend to be priced a little on the high side but there are good deals to be had.
-their warranties - decent?Doug Demuro made it famous but they've since adjusted it. I know you aren't going to do what he did with a Range Rover but I'm not sure about more middle of the road makes.
-their financing - # months/interest rates?Mostly third party lending. Much the same as any other dealer in that regard. Shop ahead and get quotes from your Credit Union/Bank beforehand
-satisfaction or not with buying from them?People generally enjoy the experience purchasing from there.
-would you be a repeat customer if in need of another vehicle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive