Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,155,021 times

Advertisements

So much to my surprise, me and the wife were in the kitchen making dinner last night and she says to me "how about a 3rd car?" So I said "a 3rd car, like something fun?" and she replied yes.

Here's some info on our current fleet; I have a 2017 SS 6mt that just hit one year old. She has a 2007 Volvo XC90 Sport that we purchased new almost 11 years ago. The Volvo was my car until we had kids in 2010 and she's been trashing (er, driving) it since.

The Volvo has been good to us but we have been recently thinking of retiring it due to age. It only has 100k however, and I think it has a ton of miles left in it. The Yamaha V8 is known to be a pretty solid engine and we have performed some costly repairs over the past few years so I would like to get my money out of it. I plan on keeping my SS until I die lol.

Anyway, we've been having trouble pulling the trigger on a new car for her as she can't settle on anything she likes (aside from an $80k+ Macan) so I think a third car would be a nice compromise and it would give her something newer to drive when she wants to (or when the Volvo breaks). Besides, we have 8 year old twins and pets and they are not kind to a new car interior so there's that aspect.

I'm planning on a budget of maybe $25-$30k and my first inclination is to find a clean, one owner C6 Corvette. What do you recommend? The only caveat is that it has to be an automatic, she refuses to drive a manual but I have that itch scratched with my SS anyway.

Fire away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 01:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Besides, we have 8 year old twins and pets and they are not kind to a new car interior so there's that aspect.

I'm planning on a budget of maybe $25-$30k and my first inclination is to find a clean, one owner C6 Corvette. What do you recommend? The only caveat is that it has to be an automatic, she refuses to drive a manual but I have that itch scratched with my SS anyway.

Fire away!
A Corvette is a very impractical family car. how will she fit the kids and the pets into it?

Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 PM

15,804 posts, read 20,550,304 times
Really up to you to decide what you want. A convertible? A v8 sports car? an AWD wagon? Who knows? Only you.

If it was up to my, I'd get a Shelby Gt350 and call it a day

Old 03-14-2018, 01:31 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times
I've heard that the new Honda Civic Si is really fun to drive. Turbocharged and 40 mph.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A Corvette is a very impractical family car. how will she fit the kids and the pets into it?
It would be a 3rd car so she'll keep the XC90 for family hauling, school runs, etc. A 3rd car will also help keep miles off the Volvo thus extending its life.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Really up to you to decide what you want. A convertible? A v8 sports car? an AWD wagon? Who knows? Only you.

If it was up to my, I'd get a Shelby Gt350 and call it a day
Yeah, I know. I just wanted some outside opinions in case I'm missing anything. GT350 is manual only, no? I like the idea but auto only.

I would like to keep it domestic to keep potenital repair costs down but German or Japanese don't scare me either.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:35 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,031,325 times
A late model Camaro SS with the correct suspension package would wipe the track with an early year C6 Corvette (it will wipe the track of a late model C7!), and you can fit children in the back seat on occasion. Might be worth a drive before hunting down an older Corvette.

I mention it since I have had a third car of sorts for years, mostly Pontiac Fieros, a Subaru BRZ (junk) more recently and currently a Chrysler Crossfire.

I do not have much to say of the BRZ but having the vestigial back seat was nice to throw my young daughter in for a summertime run out to a cruise in, ice cream place, etc. Nobody would have taken a long trip in it, but it added a little bit of fun to the ownership experience on occasion. We cannot go anywhere as a family in the Crossfire.

Also in terms of Corvette at that price range, I was trying to find something in that range for most of last year (trying to target more around $25, but looked a little up). I was finding either pristine C5's, or somewhat worn C6's. I was thinking for a C6, I would ultimately want to spend in the $30K's to really get something nice and in the condition I would have wanted a third fun car for.... and since I did not want to spend that much on a third car I went towards the Crossfire instead.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:49 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,475,957 times
you can get a brand new Nissan 370Z for high 20's. I had one and they are very fun

Old 03-14-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
you can get a brand new Nissan 370Z for high 20's. I had one and they are very fun
Hmm, you can can't you? I hadn't thought of that, interesting. It's not really my thing but I bet she would like it.

What I'd like to find is that unicorn Corvette that was driven by a 68 year old guy who drove it 3-5k mi/year in Arizona that bought it new and needs to sell it now because he has trouble getting in and out of it. haha

Old 03-14-2018, 02:27 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,475,957 times
try the Corvette forum C6 section. The C8 is being spoken about so prices aren't as high as you think, I see a bunch for 20-25k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive