Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:36 AM

5,461 posts, read 6,069,838 times

Advertisements

I think re-badging or un-badging is a shout out to being unique and singular for the owner. Some folks just want their car to stand out from the crowd of other like vehicles. When your car is one of a 1,000,000 or so made, any little difference makes it your own. Customization to the owner's personal taste and style.

It takes more than filters and oil to keep auto parts stores in business, they always have a customization section. (How many of you ever bought fuzzy dice?? C'mon, show of hands! You know you have, 'cause they are still selling them!)

My neighbor down the street painted his house blue. Some of us laugh at it, others like it. It's called taste. Sometimes the same thing can be both bitter and sweet to different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,305,114 times
I had a friend with a beater Honda. He'd had it painted for a few hundred bucks with a color change from orange to blue. As a joke, he put Buick badges on it. It turns out this gave him diplomatic immunity for parking tickets. His registration said orange Honda. The parking tickets had his plate number and blue Buick. He'd get a notice in the mail for unpaid parking tickets and they'd all get waived.

Other than peeling off the dealership sticker, I've never changed the badges on any car I've owned. I know people who ski Tahoe who put AWD badges on FWD cars with snow tires to get past the Caltrans chain restriction roadblocks.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,748,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Other than peeling off the dealership sticker, I've never changed the badges on any car I've owned. I know people who ski Tahoe who put AWD badges on FWD cars with snow tires to get past the Caltrans chain restriction roadblocks.
I just removed the dealer's stick on the back of my car. Turns out, a hair dryer made quick work of it, and WD-40 removed the last trace of adhesive.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:12 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,962,370 times
Mercedes will willingly sell you an entire AMG poser appearance package for your non AMG car.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:14 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,455,929 times
I've seen a Buick logo on a Honda Gold Wing touring bike.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:15 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Mercedes will willingly sell you an entire AMG poser appearance package for your non AMG car.

Someone must've attended the Barnum School of Marketing.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 AM

958 posts, read 2,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Exactly. And it includes AMG floormats and wheels, so the car will say AMG on it in at least 8 places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Someone must've attended the Barnum School of Marketing.
To be fair, the AMGs have sportier (and to some eyes "better") noses, rear fascias, spoilers, and wheels, so offering those up to customers who like the sportier look but don't care about the power and handling isn't just about finding suckers. While I'm sure there are a few who thing "I can make it look like an AMG", there are probably (total guess here) many more that just like the sportier look and might not even know what an AMG is. There are a number of brands that do similar things.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
I was looking at a Dodge truck for sale years ago, in the ad, it looked like a one ton to me, it had the dual rear wheels, but when I went in person, I saw the guy had custom 'Ram 4500' side decals made for it, instead of what it really was, a Ram 3500.

The strange thing, he had done nothing to the truck that would make it any more powerful or larger than a 3500 one ton, so Im not sure why he even thought of having Ram 4500 decals made.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,950,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I agree with you its quite embarrassing. Fancy cars does not equal wealth by any means, when will Americans learn this?
Seriously? You think only Americans think that? Proof?

Regarding re-badging, I'm sure it happen but it's got to a small minority of car guy and gals.

If anything I would badge down e.g. a GM 427 with a 327 badge like a street racing friend of mine did with an Impala back in the '60s.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Whats really funny are the guys who do this kind of thing, thinking it will impress women.

Little do they know, majority of girls/ women out there pay no attention to this, the only thing they really recognize is color of the car. It could be a super charged Corvette and a Pinto...its just 'cars' to the females, they dont care about the differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive