Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:56 PM

151 posts, read 107,547 times

Advertisements

I find the naysayers for AVs conveniently forget that every day on every roadway, people die because of cars. Loads of people, all the time. So if AVs could cut the the number of fatal accidents in half, let's say (yes, there would still be fatalities due to unforeseen hazards, but far fewer of them) then that's a giant win. That's a major and important advancement. Damn right I'm behind that. I think all the testing they've done has proved this point. YMMV <---see what I did there

And the push toward AV isn't some whim because those Millennials are so darn lazy. It would give freedom to the disabled and elderly, take drunk drivers out of the picture, make road rage obsolete, revolutionize long haul driving and thus the transportation of goods, and that's just off the top of my head.

The future can't come fast enough for me. Beep beep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 11:50 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh66 View Post
I find the naysayers for AVs conveniently forget that every day on every roadway, people die because of cars. Loads of people, all the time. So if AVs could cut the the number of fatal accidents in half, let's say (yes, there would still be fatalities due to unforeseen hazards, but far fewer of them) then that's a giant win. That's a major and important advancement. Damn right I'm behind that. I think all the testing they've done has proved this point. YMMV <---see what I did there

And the push toward AV isn't some whim because those Millennials are so darn lazy. It would give freedom to the disabled and elderly, take drunk drivers out of the picture, make road rage obsolete, revolutionize long haul driving and thus the transportation of goods, and that's just off the top of my head.

i get where you are coming from, but the problem of AV cars being hacked doesnt go away just because more people use them. the biggest issue with AV cars is the very thing that makes them so enticing.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:55 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Quote:
I find the naysayers for AVs
Count 'em.

Other than a few perennial... types, I don't see many posts from people who are truly against AVs, or think they can never work.

I see posts from proponents who can only see rose-colored stars, and real, real soon... and people who agree the technology is valuable and all but certain to arrive, but still faces significant technical, legal and real-world hurdles. I wouldn't call the latter "naysayers," but I would say the first crowd really needs to get a grip on both reality and reasonable debate.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,644 times
Quote:

Give freedom to the disabled and elderly?

If they can afford an autonomous vehicle, they can certainly afford a taxi or an Uber ride.

AV's literally remove freedom and privacy from everyone else. Part of the deal of universal AV's is the tracking down to the centimeter of everywhere the vehicles travel, all in one easy to access and probably hack database.

In addition, are we REALLY ready to remove all uses of vehicles other than point-to-point travel? Eliminating the possibility of just going for a drive? Taking our time and just enjoying the scenery? Looking to discover new and interesting destinations?

Long story short, I'm not ready to give up my privacy and my freedom for the possibility for an incremental increase in safety, and I never will be.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 05-06-2018 at 09:21 AM..

Old 05-06-2018, 10:20 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
It would be neat if cars would link themselves up on road trips, save gas for everyone. Drafting with each other and computer controlled so no one causes problems. It will be neat one day.
Yeah, until a tire blows out or a deer runs into the road.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:25 PM

If I were a trial lawyer, I'd be salivating at the prospect of winning a huge case involving AVs and/or their drivers.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:12 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Yeah, until a tire blows out or a deer runs into the road.
Yeah, we should have just stuck with horse and buggy for transportation, just look at how many people have been killed or seriously injured by motor vehicles over the years!

Everyone has pretty much accepted the deaths caused by motor vehicles though, I mean, I do not hear anyone suggesting we go back to horse and buggy, or it was a mistake to switch to motorized vehicles, see what Im saying?

Old 05-07-2018, 08:18 AM

956 posts, read 510,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post

If they can afford an autonomous vehicle, they can certainly afford a taxi or an Uber ride.

AV's literally remove freedom and privacy from everyone else. Part of the deal of universal AV's is the tracking down to the centimeter of everywhere the vehicles travel, all in one easy to access and probably hack database.

In addition, are we REALLY ready to remove all uses of vehicles other than point-to-point travel? Eliminating the possibility of just going for a drive? Taking our time and just enjoying the scenery? Looking to discover new and interesting destinations?

Long story short, I'm not ready to give up my privacy and my freedom for the possibility for an incremental increase in safety, and I never will be.

BINGO!! Could not have said it any better!!

Old 05-07-2018, 01:37 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post

I do think this plays a big part in why there is a push to get these things on the road, its all about CONTROL.

Of course they are going to spin it as cool and neat, increased safety, etc etc, but they are not telling you they can pin point anyones exact location, all the time, 24/7, and whose to say they do not have 'security functions' built in, like if you are wanted by police anywhere, the car automatically informs police where you are and maybe even drive you to their location!

Authorities will likely use this technology to show someones history too, where they have driven, what time they were a certain place, how long they stayed, when they left, etc.

on the other hand, they will be able to quickly find abducted kids, people on the run, etc, so Im sure they will use these positives in the spin campaign and like many other instances, majority of the public will willingly hand over another freedom for a little increased safety/ security, its happened countless times already.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yeah, we should have just stuck with horse and buggy for transportation, just look at how many people have been killed or seriously injured by motor vehicles over the years!

Everyone has pretty much accepted the deaths caused by motor vehicles though, I mean, I do not hear anyone suggesting we go back to horse and buggy, or it was a mistake to switch to motorized vehicles, see what Im saying?
You completely missed the point.

The situations I mentioned require human control of the vehicle in order to avoid colliding with the deer, or to safely bring the vehicle to a stop in an appropriate location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive