Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 12:15 PM

748 posts, read 833,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
...While we do see Tesla’s around often, they are bought for the status and for the performance, and the owners all have a larger SUV as well.
This is the market for these vehicles in the short term, I suspect.

Daily driver for distances under 200 miles, plus an SUV to haul the kids/ go on vacations, etc.

If you don't ever have to go to the gas station, can charge at home, and just drive to and from the office, EVs for suburbanites make a ton of sense. Of course, cost is a factor.

When someone figures out the charging problems (i.e. McDonald's starts offering free charging if you buy a BigMac, etc.) then the route to more EVs will become easier. There is infrastructure, but it's not used in the way EVs need.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:18 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Nothing at all. As you wrote we need oil for useful products it gives us. But burying your head in the sand to EVs is foolish.

These Luddites remind me of the US auto giants in the 1970s. The US government set strict emissions for cars with the technology not known to reach it at the time. The auto giants spent a fortune in legal actions against the government and failed. But they could have saved a fortune by getting their engineers to look at it, as the Germans did. Bosch quite quickly developed a fuel injection system that met the emissions levels. It is best to go for the greater good.
This is just too funny. First off, we all know the German's solution to meeting emissions levels...and that's cheat on the emissions test. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksw...ssions_scandal Have you actually been around in the past 3 years?
The auto giants responded to emissions requirements by making tiny Pintos and Gremlins. Eventually the oil shortage became a glut, and we all went back to big trucks again.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
This is just too funny. First off, we all know the German's solution to meeting emissions levels...and that's cheat on the emissions test. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksw...ssions_scandal Have you actually been around in the past 3 years?
The auto giants responded to emissions requirements by making tiny Pintos and Gremlins. Eventually the oil shortage became a glut, and we all went back to big trucks again.
It was the biggest middle finger to "the man" for imposing such restrictive regulations with such short deadlines. You want your numbers? We'll make your numbers.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Nothing at all. As you wrote we need oil for useful products it gives us. But burying your head in the sand to EVs is foolish.

These Luddites remind me of the US auto giants in the 1970s. The US government set strict emissions for cars with the technology not known to reach it at the time. The auto giants spent a fortune in legal actions against the government and failed. But they could have saved a fortune by getting their engineers to look at it, as the Germans did. Bosch quite quickly developed a fuel injection system that met the emissions levels.I guess the US giants did not have faith in their engineers. It is best to go for the greater good.
I think we will see a better outcome with gradual adoption than catalyzed adoption via increasing taxes, fees, and other assessments for gasoline and diesel vehicles.

A 240V Level 2 EV charger rivals the central HVAC system as the single biggest current draw appliance present in a household. Existing electrical transmission and distribution infrastructure needs to be reviewed to make sure the grid is sufficiently ready prior to the load being placed on it.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
So you make your living from oil. So that is why you exaggerate, ignore facts and lie. You will be driving an EV sooner than what you think.

A pickup? I would rather have a dumper truck.
No, I make my living designing aircraft parts for the planes you fly and back and forth to the US in, not that it matters.
I'm telling you reality, not propping up the oil industry. They're doing good enough on their own, they don't my endorsement.

Nobody said anything about pickups and what the hell is a "dumper truck"? Nevermind….I don't care.

Pretending that everybody who doesn't fall for your EV enthusiasm just works for the oil industry is just your way of dealing with skepticism that you don't have a defense for because you don't really understand this subject. You're just here to share videos of what other people have to say because you don't know how to debate this on your own.

You're out of your league here buddy but watching you fail at supporting your own arguments is entertaining.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:29 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
Electric cars vs Petrol cars

It all points one way -> -> -> EV.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Electric cars vs Petrol cars

It all points one way -> -> -> EV.
That makes perfect sense for why we need an electric blender vs a gas powered blender but not why we need an electric car vs a gas powered car. There's a reason why EVs haven't caught on in the past 100 years.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:45 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
That makes perfect sense for why we need an electric blender vs a gas powered blender but not why we need an electric car vs a gas powered car. There's a reason why EVs haven't caught on in the past 100 years.
GM tried marketing their first electric car the EV1 but never took off in the western states.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:46 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This is an indirect result. This is due to the driver's use of resistive heat, which is even worse for power consumption than the electric a/c compressor. Dare I say, my mileage is nearly unaffected when blasting a/c in the summer vs. using even a moderate cabin temperature in the winter.

I confess, in 2018, we should expect a climate controlled cabin when buying a new car. Consumers should not compromise on this and freeze to death in the winter. I have a couple of ideas:

Perhaps electricity is only a bridge to other alternative fuels. Hydrogen can unlock a lot more possibilities as far as creating heat. You can actually have a heat exchanger much like a home with natural gas heat. Using electricity for heat is asking it to generate more waste, the exact opposite of what we try to get it to do when using it for any other purpose but heat. It's a means to an end, but I don't think it's going to be the right answer when the electricity used to run these vehicles can be conserved so much more with different heating methods.

So tell me how useful that heat pump is going to be when I drive 220 miles to my Vermont place in -20F weather to go skiing? There's no such thing as a heat pump that works down to -20F. You're using resistive heat or you freeze to death.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So tell me how useful that heat pump is going to be when I drive 220 miles to my Vermont place in -20F weather to go skiing? There's no such thing as a heat pump that works down to -20F. You're using resistive heat or you freeze to death.
Guess you'll have to summon the power between your ears and make the conscious decision to self-preserve and use the resistive heat instead of getting good battery mileage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive