Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 11:56 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
15 mins to charge up 350 miles is a long time. Also you will drip charge a EV like you do with a smart phone. At home, at work, in the supermarket, etc. Look at how it is going instead of being negative. Wise up.
It's not being negative. It's being concious of real problems facing the adoption of EVs. You seem to want to close your eyes and hope the problems go away instead of trying to solve them. For instance, there's no way at all that 15 minutes of charge will deliver 350 miles of range in anything, since most cars don't even HAVE that much range. Charging an Ioniq or Niro or Soul or Leaf to their full range takes 30 minutes or more. And they don't go 350 miles. figure 45 minutes to an hour using similar charging tech but higher capacity batteries (which take longer to fill, even if you only factor in filling them to 80%, which is the fastest part of the charging process).

Frankly, people like you are the biggest obstacle to EV adoption. Not just because your attitude is off-putting to those who disagree with you, but because you also prevent a logical and reasonable discussion of the issues facing EVs in order to try and resolve them. If all you're going to do is preach, get out of the way while the rest of us do actual work.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:01 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,773 times
Quote:
That has been disproven. Also makers are looking at laminated insulated steel/carbon for the bodies to keep heat in and heat out. The best is yet to come.

All it took was 5 minutes for me to find a Tesla owners forum, and this posting there, by an actual Tesla owner.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...rs-be-prepared

Just a couple of excerpts for people who don't want to read it

1.Rag on me all you want for saying this, just trying to prevent some first time Tesla buyers from being very disappointed in their first experience with Tesla or an EV. Again, this is NORMAL driving. You can always drive them like a granny and get closer to rated range when necessary, but who wants to do that all the time?

2. This is also taking into account battery degradation. If the Model 3 is like the Model S, the "rated" range will be notably less after just a few weeks. As many have stated, range drops quickly from brand new by about 6-10 miles within just a few weeks. The degradation then stabilizes with only small declines over the remaining life. So this is also taking into account that the cars will likely charge at 210 and 300 miles after a month or two. They should stay close to those figures after that. Just another thing to keep in mind. And don't waste your time calling Tesla saying there's something wrong with your car after a month when it will no longer charge to the originally "rated" range. It's completely normal.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Where I live you don’t have to put up a charger at all anywhere. What makes you think where you live is representative of the entire world?
Your area will get into the 21st century eventually, probably about about 2035. In the meantime, you will just have to muddle along with obsolete infrastructure. Your problem, not the rest of the world's.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:14 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Sorry, but until the infrastructure is in place to support EVs (both fast-charging stations AND authorized repair and maintenance shops), and the range exists in consumer-affordable EVs, then we're still short of the tipping point. Where EVs are starting to "tip" is in urban areas with high concentrations of people...not incidentally, where EVs tend to perform best: short, relatively slow hops.

Move out to rural areas, you have several problems to overcome:

1. A typcial drive can easily be over 50 miles
2. EVs are not as efficient on the highway
3. There's fewer "fast" charging stations out there, and the "fast" charging isn't all that fast outside of Tesla chargers

These rural/suburban areas are the places where ICE and hybrid cars are still going to reign for quite a while, until some advances happen on the EV front to bring ranges up and prices down. They're also areas where quite a few people actually have a need for things like pickup trucks and minivans, and 3 row SUVs, all of which are behind the curve on electrification, due to the need to keep PHEV and BEV cars small and light to extend their range.
You are dead on with the EV appeal. In-town, less than 1000 miles a year drivers need hybrids or plug-ins for reasonable economy. An EV doesn't burn electricity while you are sitting in a traffic jam for 30 minutes. If you want to do a 30 mile trip, a Leaf won't get you there and back without a recharge, so the target consumer is the typical townie who just wants to commute back and forth to work.

Heavy haulers will continue to be diesel for the foreseeable future. Land yachts will continue to be the preferred road car. I used to own a Park Avenue that reliably got 30 mpg on the highway, and was a pleasure to drive. I once made it all the way from Missoula to Western Oregon in a single day. You could maybe do that in a hybrid, but not without crippling yourself.

I'm looking at replacing at least one vehicle in the next four years. The Chevy Bolt looks very attractive. My typical longest trip is 65 miles one way, and the 230 mile range on the Bolt would do that easily. It would also be a great ace in the hole for the next time we run across a severe gasoline shortage. The US imports a million bbl of refined gasoline a day. If even 25% of that dropped out, an EV would be worth its weight in gold.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:47 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
It's not being negative. It's being concious of real problems facing the adoption of EVs. You seem to want to close your eyes and hope the problems go away instead of trying to solve them. For instance, there's no way at all that 15 minutes of charge will deliver 350 miles of range in anything, since most cars don't even HAVE that much range. Charging an Ioniq or Niro or Soul or Leaf to their full range takes 30 minutes or more. And they don't go 350 miles. figure 45 minutes to an hour using similar charging tech but higher capacity batteries (which take longer to fill, even if you only factor in filling them to 80%, which is the fastest part of the charging process).

Frankly, people like you are the biggest obstacle to EV adoption. Not just because your attitude is off-putting to those who disagree with you, but because you also prevent a logical and reasonable discussion of the issues facing EVs in order to try and resolve them. If all you're going to do is preach, get out of the way while the rest of us do actual work.
Spot on post!

I was just going to say most of my hatred of EVs stems from EV fanboys that just yap about them nonstop as if they're the solution to everything. Otherwise I'd be just as ambivalent to them as I would V6 vs V8 or diesel vs gas. Now I want to see EV's fail just to shut them up. Even hybrid owners aren't this annoying.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Your area will get into the 21st century eventually, probably about about 2035. In the meantime, you will just have to muddle along with obsolete infrastructure. Your problem, not the rest of the world's.
No, my world exist in the free market. If the free market demands it, it will come. If it requires heavy subsidies it will die. Its a cruel world out there.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You have not squashed anything. Many here have slaughtered your head-in-the-sand Luddite views.
I have, but you don’t know it yet, because it’s like explaining physics to a termite.

You’re 100% incapabale of holding your own in a debate because the only thing you know is what that moron on YouTube tells you. The minute you’re challenged with facts (and apparently elementary math) you either ignore it or just stuck your fingers in your ears and claim the rest of the world is wrong.

You are the world’s worst spokesmen for electric cars. Seriously, you’re absolutely horrible at promoting electric cars. You make more people hate them because you’re affiliated with them. I think it’s you who works for the oil industry and you’re sent here to discourage people from ever buying an EV. In that case, job well done.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:19 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Spot on post!

I was just going to say most of my hatred of EVs stems from EV fanboys that just yap about them nonstop as if they're the solution to everything. Otherwise I'd be just as ambivalent to them as I would V6 vs V8 or diesel vs gas. Now I want to see EV's fail just to shut them up. Even hybrid owners aren't this annoying.

A true automotive enthusiast woudn't care about the owners, only the cars. I'm getting just as tired of the wannabe oil company shills insulting the cars every chance they get because they aren't powered by exploding dinosaurs. Bunch of closed minded, insulting fools.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You are dead on with the EV appeal. In-town, less than 1000 miles a year drivers need hybrids or plug-ins for reasonable economy. An EV doesn't burn electricity while you are sitting in a traffic jam for 30 minutes. If you want to do a 30 mile trip, a Leaf won't get you there and back without a recharge, so the target consumer is the typical townie who just wants to commute back and forth to work.

Heavy haulers will continue to be diesel for the foreseeable future. Land yachts will continue to be the preferred road car. I used to own a Park Avenue that reliably got 30 mpg on the highway, and was a pleasure to drive. I once made it all the way from Missoula to Western Oregon in a single day. You could maybe do that in a hybrid, but not without crippling yourself.

I'm looking at replacing at least one vehicle in the next four years. The Chevy Bolt looks very attractive. My typical longest trip is 65 miles one way, and the 230 mile range on the Bolt would do that easily. It would also be a great ace in the hole for the next time we run across a severe gasoline shortage. The US imports a million bbl of refined gasoline a day. If even 25% of that dropped out, an EV would be worth its weight in gold.
Nothing against the Bolt, but if you're claiming a hybrid can't do a long trip comfortably, I don't see a Bolt being that much more comfortable. It's essentially an economy car with an EV drivetrain.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:41 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Gas prices went up to almost $4 a while back, but then came back down. As soon as gas prices come down, Americans are back to their drooling over SUVs and trucks. Gas prices will need to remain high for this to stick.

I do like the concept of plug-in hybrids at this point. The Chevy Volt can do over 50 miles on pure electric and then a very fuel efficient gas engine for great range. You can even turn off the electric feature like if you are doing 80 mph on the interstate if you want to save the battery for city-driving or for traffic jams on the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive