Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 04:57 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
This is exactly what the Insurance Industry and Lawyers are hoping for
The auto insurance industry is DREADING this transition...where is the justification that we pay for full coverage insurance when humans are not even doing the driving anymore?! LOL Especially when its every car on the road...there will no longer be a need for accident insurance on vehicles.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:02 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Yep, it's always the other guy, isn't it?

That depends on the circumstances. If they are going 5 or 10 miles under the speed limit, I an understand your irritation, unless there is an obvious reason, like a wide load or some other issue that might require extra caution. However, if they are driving the limit, it's the impatient drivers who have a problem.

I won't claim that I've never driven faster than the speed limit, as that would be dishonest, but it's been a long time since I did so, and it was generally on lightly-traveled roads with which I was extremely familiar. It's not something I will do in a residential area, a busy street or highway, or an area I don't know well. I am not going to risk a ticket or an accident to please anyone.
No one should be cruising along at the speed limit in the left lane, period. Passing is a verb, an action.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:04 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No one should be cruising along at the speed limit in the left lane, period. Passing is a verb, an action.
I very deliberately did not mention the left lane for a reason.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:

Correct. On those sections of road that are designated as left lane for passing only (this is FAR from universal and there's statutes and case law to prove it), no one should be "cruising along" at any speed. They should be driving the speed limit, no faster, and then pulling over into the right (or middle, where appropriate) lane. Period.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:05 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The auto insurance industry is DREADING this transition...where is the justification that we pay for full coverage insurance when humans are not even doing the driving anymore?! LOL Especially when its every car on the road...there will no longer be a need for accident insurance on vehicles.
Well there might be. Either that or plaintiffs lawyers are going to strike a gold mine in products liabilities against the auto manufacturer. Autonomous cars are designed, engineered, and programmed by human beings. There are a lot of blind-spot biases that goes into all three. We're already seeing some horrible flaws in Tesla's Autopilot system and Uber's autonomous car program. Back to the bias thing...do you know how many women and children were injured and/or killed because originally airbags were designed for a 194 lb man? Or that automatic water faucets didn't register for people of color because a team of engineers of European decent had a blind-spot bias? It's very easy to understand a simple one-dimensional IFTT (if this then that) program, but autonomous cars have a vast number of variables/parameters and the car will only do what it was pre-programmed to do. Any road anomalies would have to be accounted for or it will go into uncharted territory with less predictable results.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:14 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Correct. On those sections of road that are designated as left lane for passing only (this is FAR from universal and there's statutes and case law to prove it), no one should be "cruising along" at any speed. They should be driving the speed limit, no faster, and then pulling over into the right (or middle, where appropriate) lane. Period.
I will disagree with going the speed limit to pass. If you are doing this, you are creating a hazard to everyone IMO.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Reminds me of spending a year in Iowa. The most dangerous time was "Growing Season" each farmer was checking the others crops and doing this by putting along at 20-35 mph ON THE DAMN HIGHWAY. I was warned this causes many accidents and sure enough, saw 4 of them and in 2 cases, the "Gawker" paid the high price...

Old 06-08-2018, 01:42 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Left lane huggers. Ugh.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Reminds me of spending a year in Iowa. The most dangerous time was "Growing Season" each farmer was checking the others crops and doing this by putting along at 20-35 mph ON THE DAMN HIGHWAY. I was warned this causes many accidents and sure enough, saw 4 of them and in 2 cases, the "Gawker" paid the high price...
Reminds me of Kentucky. The level of sheer stupidity down here... farmers pull out in front of you on two-lane highways, and motor along at 30 MPH before pulling off at the feed store at whatever. There may be 15 cars stacked up behind them, and it never enters their mind that they're on a highway. They just think, "well, I'm only going 10 miles, so there's no need to go any faster than 30. I'd just have to slow down again."

Stupidity.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:59 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
True story:

Two days ago I offered to assist an associate in picking up her NEW car from a dealership. It was a 250 mile drive. Thru two major Beltways. As we FLEW out of my complex I knew this was going to be a warp speed drive. She weaved, jerked, slammed on her brakes and cut in and out of traffic all while not going under 75 mph. Various construction zones were marked at 50 mph. She ignored it.
So we get to the dealership. And 3 exhausting hours later, we are ready to hit the road. I proceed to tell her, that I refuse to "keep up" with her and she will just have to deal with my granny style of driving.
Granny style is: Following the marked speed limit, keeping a safe distance between cars and NOT switching lanes like a mad man.

So....she sped up on this notorious beltway going 80mph (sign posted: 65) and not one but two officers in plain site were nabbing cars. Hers was one of them. I saw it up ahead and when I passed her , I waved and gave a thumbs up to the officers. She called ranting five minutes later. I listened and said...so are you following me now or shall I pull over so you can speed around me too? She has no clue from her perspective how many folks had to slam on their brakes as she weaved in and out of traffic. And I am talking within inches of her hitting or side swiping some folks.

so speeders, you don't own the road, or the lives of those effected by your ill timed weaving and lead foot.
You'll get from A to B just fine , just leave the race car driving to the QUALIFIED Professionals on the race track. Not the Beltway!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive