Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 08:49 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'd be inclined to keep the car and maybe not fix the roof, but I'm surprised nobody has said anything about the risk of never being able to get a good seal at the top of the windshield. What does your body guy say about that?

^^^This. I had a tree fall on my roof and damage it, along with a broken windshield. The body shop tried to repair it, then eventually replaced the roof, but the vehicle always leaked like a sieve afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 12:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Take the money buy the car back and drive it. I wouldn’t waste the money to repair it. Save and go buy another car later when this one gets really expensive to fix or breaks down and costs too much to repair.

As far as the roof/ window leaking go buy a tube of Black polyurethane sealant from Home Depot. It’s the same stuff they use to attach the window to the frame, fill in the dent at the joint

Old 08-16-2018, 05:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Yeah, keep the car, as noted you will have a whopping $600 in it, living in NY, this car is rusty underneath for sure, so now it's your "beater".

Seems to me to be a great car for $600. Just fix what's necessary to make it functional, no need to fix every dent.

In future stay away from "Stupid Lube" type outfits.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:47 AM

843 posts, read 565,302 times
If the Roof Outer panel is damaged, that is relatively easy to fix and not critical for safety. But if the Front Header and/or and any Roof Bows are bent, this is unsafe and should be fixed. The crossmembers and pillars act as a system in Roof Crush, they will eventually buckle at a certain load, so if a part is bent it will buckle sooner. I have designed these parts for a major OEM, this is my thing. I would be very careful about repairing this, I would total it if possible.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:29 AM

843 posts, read 565,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I agree with him. The pillars are the brunt of the structure there. The roof really doesn't do all that much. If you ever pulled a headliner down, the roof really is just a metal skin with a few braces across just to keep the roof from buckling when snow is piled on top. Other than that, there's not much structure to it. If you ran up on top of your roof and jumped, you'd buckle it pretty good.

Here's a good example of a typical roof. Just flat steel and a few braces. This is a chevy Silverado.
This is a great picture. Must be in the factory since it is not painted...But I disagree about the "braces" as not being important. The Roof structure is a system - the crossmembers ("braces") such as the front and rear Headers are critical for safety. In your picture, even the center Roof Bow is likely to be quite structural since it connects the two B-pillars together cross-car (but mostly for side impact in this case, not roof crush so much).

No crash load on the roof will be 100% vertical, there will be a lateral component to the load, so the crossmembers will also be subjected to a buckle load, as well as the pillars. The federal Roof Crush test is actually applied at an angle in both the side and front views, and the headers always will buckle eventually. If one of the headers is dmaged, they will buckle sooner.

It is true that some vehicles may have smaller narrow/thin Roof Bows that are there only to support the Roof panel, mostly SUV's with long Roofs, and are not that important for safety. But the Headers and B-Pillar roof bows are key. They should be replaced if damaged and it is wrong to say they don't matter much.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 08-23-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive