Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Definitely too much. Between mortgages, health care, and car payments and other insurances, i'm surprised anyone has any money left.

As for six year car payments. That's really too much IMO. When I was coming up in the early 80's a five year loan seemed outrageous. Now I hear that 8 and 9, even 10 year car loans are on the table. It won't be long before car loans are like mortgages.

It seems to me that autonomous cars really will destroy the car business. And probably within the next 20 years.
They have to stretch payments for 8+ years. It’s the only way to make the payment affirdableto people tha5 have no business buying that expensive a vehicle. I remember my wife’s Infiniti was in for a recall. I was at the dealer (and they treated me like I just bought that vehicle ) and 8 was in the showroom. I was looking at a Qx80 or whatever the flagship is now. 96,000 dollars. It had some god awful aftermarket package n it. The Limited was still 80,000.
I actually drove one. It was like driving on a cloud. A 80,000 dollar cloud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 12:50 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Ok, all you "why it's so expensive" ranters.

I have easy fix for you.
It's all in YOUR hands.

STOP BUYING. Then sit, watch prices fall down on their faces in matter of several months. Or, stop complaining.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:23 PM

712 posts, read 530,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

I have easy fix for you.
It's all in YOUR hands.

STOP BUYING. Then sit, watch prices fall down on their faces in matter of several months. Or, stop complaining.
That would likely not cause prices to fall in the long term for NEW cars. It would cause car makers to make less vehicles and then prices would actually like go up due to it causing prices for parts needed to make the vehicle to go up. Large volume purchases reduce prices. If it was suv's that stopped selling, then car manufacturers would not reduce the price of suvs long term, but instead it would concentrate efforts on smaller cheaper to make cars. Competition between auto makers is what keeps prices down.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
That would likely not cause prices to fall in the long term for NEW cars. It would cause car makers to make less vehicles and then prices would actually like go up due to it causing prices for parts needed to make the vehicle to go up. Large volume purchases reduce prices. If it was suv's that stopped selling, then car manufacturers would not reduce the price of suvs long term, but instead it would concentrate efforts on smaller cheaper to make cars. Competition between auto makers is what keeps prices down.
That's what Ford is doing, they are making less economy cars like Focus for America while it is still being built elsewhere for developing countries but they have less incentive to sell economy cars where used cars and other makes are cutting into their business. It's sad that Ford really only have 3 segments they are profitable. That is SUV, Truck, and performance cars. Other than that they have nothing else.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:34 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's what Ford is doing, they are making less economy cars like Focus for America while it is still being built elsewhere for developing countries but they have less incentive to sell economy cars where used cars and other makes are cutting into their business. It's sad that Ford really only have 3 segments they are profitable. That is SUV, Truck, and performance cars. Other than that they have nothing else.
Europe is a bunch of developing countries?

Old 09-28-2018, 02:32 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Is it sad that those three profitable segments account for nearly seventy percent of global demand?

Old 09-28-2018, 04:42 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

I have easy fix for you.
It's all in YOUR hands.

Yeah that’s not gonna happen. People will go into huge debt to keep up some lifestyle that shows how well they are doing. I have a buddy who is in something like a constant 50,000 dollar debt level. He drops it down then both he and his wife bring it right back up. Last purchase was a 70,000 dollar Suburban. Absolutely nothing wrong with their last SUV. But they needed something safer than their behemoth Excursion.

Not buying cars won’t drop prices immediately or possibly long term. And in a good economy people tend to spend so it’s not gonna happen. Not buying cars will simply make the manufacturers go into a price war. There is so much built in profit that they can afford to give 10k in discounts you really think they’re just breaking even or losing money? And as the new car manufacture numbers dry up it creates a shortage and people still need cars so those new cars will go up in price and the used market will go up in price.

I dont know if anyone is complaining. I’m not complaining as I’m not in the market for a expensive luxury car. If I was in the marketing wouldn’t be for a insanely expensive vehicle anyway (and I will be in the next two years) and it wouldn’t be anywhere near 35,000 much less 55/70,000. I would be buying a CPO. I may just lease something as it’s for my wife and she drives about 4/5000 miles a year. But right now we’re ok with what we got. None of our cars have issues so they dont need replacing. We rather remodel the kitchen than buy a car anyway. We’re simply making observations.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-28-2018 at 04:50 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 12:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Depends what you're buying. You'll pay more to order it. Mine was just a regular economy car. Nothing fancy. It had 12 miles on it, so maybe it had gone on one or two test drives. It's a daily beater. it gets run through automatic scratchers or rinsed off with a hose. It only gets a proper wash for its annual waxing, and even then it's a quick one. It's not like a care if the clear coat gets some more scratches.
For a car that will be used and worked like that, I'd be in agreement with you.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:04 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
For me, cars on the lot are to test drive and to check out the features. I don't actually buy what's on the lot and have essentially been a demo for god knows how many months. Every car on the lot is a demo of sorts. Don't be fooled.

If you've decided you're buying new, order it. Tell them you want to be present when it rolls off the truck. Don't let them take the plastic off. Don't let them roll it into their garage. Don't let their "detail team" touch it.

Manufacturer warranties have NOTHING to do with dealer added options or dealer recommended service. You pay your money, receive your tag and title, and roll away.
Any “brand new” car that arrives at the dealership has to go through the shop as part of a “new vehicle inspection”. Now sure you can be there before it goes through the shop but it has to go through the shop to check for any issues prior to the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive