Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:23 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times

Advertisements

New pickup prices have been completely unreasonable for decades now.

That's ok though. I buy used and spend a tiny fraction of that price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 09:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The sticker might be high, but the Nissan dealer by me, for example, is taking $14k off Titans. Ram is notorious for doing the same thing.
Toyota sure doesn’t do that, but Tundras are pretty popular in my area.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
I remember casually looking at Silverados a few years back. The salesperson comes out to greet me, and I tell her I'm just looking around. I made a joke about the high sticker price on the truck, and she was like, "Oh, don't even pay attention to that number." As if to say, that's such a high, bloated price that we know we're giving you at least $10k off.

Still, I think if you see a truck with a sticker price of $60k, even if they give you $15k off, that's still $45k, and for average Joe's like me, that's expensive.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:28 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The sticker might be high, but the Nissan dealer by me, for example, is taking $14k off Titans. Ram is notorious for doing the same thing.
I remember when Nissan was giving away a free Versa with purchase of a Titan. Ford was doing that with the Fusion and Chevy the Cobalt back in the late 00's when gas prices were really high.

Apparently still happening at some dealers.
https://www.timdahlesouthtowne.com/b...t_a_versa.html

Old 10-05-2018, 09:30 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I remember when Nissan was giving away a free Versa with purchase of a Titan.

Apparently still happening at some dealers.
https://www.timdahlesouthtowne.com/b...t_a_versa.html
Didn't they used to do that with the Yugo? I don't remember who was giving them away or with what purchase, but I do remember something similar back in the day.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:49 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Toyota sure doesn’t do that, but Tundras are pretty popular in my area.
The Tundra is a little less expensive to begin with. A fully loaded 1794 edition only carries a sticker price of $55,000, a new Ford F-150 Limited or GMC Sierra Denali both can reach sticker prices over $70,000.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The US has had a 25% tariff on Pick Up Trucks since 1964...
You do realize tariffs only apply on import/export goods and have nothing to do with the price of domestically produced and sold vehicles?

The popularity of pickups has a simple cause: they were relatively cheap - sometimes much cheaper than most equivalent vehicles - until very recent years. Makers discovered they could keep jacking up the options and sell luxo trucks with crazy-ass margins at prices that would have seemed like a joke 20 years ago.

They were cheaper in part because they were exempt from most safety regulations for quite a few years, and were largely exempt from smog regulations for more than a decade after the rules were implemented.

All of that was because they were only 5% of the market and used almost entirely for commercial purposes, so regs were withheld to keep from burdening business, farming and commerce. That wasn't changed until they approached 50% of sales.

In 1978 the fastest US-made car was Dodge's "Little Red Truck," because you could still build a "musclecar" on a truck platform due to the relaxed regulations.

(Oh, and the first two generations of minivans only met light-truck safety standards, which were about one step above "tin can." Bad enough you were likely to get killed in any significant collision in a pickup or minipickup; let's pack the whole family into one!)

Old 10-05-2018, 10:20 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
The back page of state newspaper had an advertisement for a new Ford pickup truck: $2,995.00 delivered.
But that was many decades ago.
At that time that price of two thousand nine hundred ninety-five dollars was out of reach for me.

So you see, for the average Joe or Jane the price was always too expensive.

Now today, there is MORE safety items and electronic CRAP that costs even more.

Rest assured. All is the same. Just a different time.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:23 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
A different take on this.

Wages for many have been stagnant. THAT debate should go to other parts of the forum.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You do realize tariffs only apply on import/export goods and have nothing to do with the price of domestically produced and sold vehicles?

The popularity of pickups has a simple cause: they were relatively cheap - sometimes much cheaper than most equivalent vehicles - until very recent years. Makers discovered they could keep jacking up the options and sell luxo trucks with crazy-ass margins at prices that would have seemed like a joke 20 years ago.

They were cheaper in part because they were exempt from most safety regulations for quite a few years, and were largely exempt from smog regulations for more than a decade after the rules were implemented.

All of that was because they were only 5% of the market and used almost entirely for commercial purposes, so regs were withheld to keep from burdening business, farming and commerce. That wasn't changed until they approached 50% of sales.

In 1978 the fastest US-made car was Dodge's "Little Red Truck," because you could still build a "musclecar" on a truck platform due to the relaxed regulations.

(Oh, and the first two generations of minivans only met light-truck safety standards, which were about one step above "tin can." Bad enough you were likely to get killed in any significant collision in a pickup or minipickup; let's pack the whole family into one!)
The lack of door reinforcements in trucks ended in the early 1990s. The absurd jacking up of prices started much more recently than that. I bought my 2005 truck at a price consistent with the slow rise of the preceding years. But now its equivalent would cost at least 60% more. I would put the jacking-up time as having started between 2012 and 2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive