Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times

Advertisements

I recall that the drive across Kansas was incredibly slow at 55 mph and we tried to stay occupied playing highway bingo and slug bug bop in the back seat, which eventually led to kids just hitting each other at random. We would sometimes drive all night because we didn't have ac. Eventually, very tiny Subaru wagons appeared on the scene and they said they got great mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:44 PM

136 posts, read 80,688 times
I was 16, had just got my driver's license, and I was happy to be doing ANYTHING in a car.....even waiting in a gas line. Our car license plate ended in 0, so we were allowed to get gas only on even numbered days.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:33 AM

149 posts, read 104,352 times
I remember the gas crunch of the 70s, but because we lived on a small ranch, we had our own 300 gallon elevated gas tank that our coop filled up once a month.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
It was horrible, but look how we grew. It showed Americans up close and personal how relying on fuel so much wasn't very smart. We are slow to change, but that time of our lives helped. As I recall it was odd and even license plates.

Anyway, it was a good lesson. It got cars going in a better direction as far as economy goes. Now we have 300hp cars that would crush any car back then getting 30+mpg. I think it was hard times, but good times in the end.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:51 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
OPEC doesn't have that power on supply now. The US is essentially, or could be, self-sufficient for oil, and we never really imported that much from the Middle East even back then. The production impacted world supplies, especially to Europe and Japan, and put pressure on our regular suppliers like Mexico, Canada and Venezuela.

I was working in a factory at the time (1979), strangely enough in the natural resources department tending the gas wells that supplied the glass furnaces, and was considered an essential person. Those of us in the department were given chits to get gas for our personal vehicles at the facility's pump if we couldn't get any at a commercial station.

I just heard a guy on the radio yesterday say that we are currently self-sufficient. And I THINK he said we are, or will be soon, exporting.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I just heard a guy on the radio yesterday say that we are currently self-sufficient. And I THINK he said we are, or will be soon, exporting.

Good, maybe we'll finally stop hopping in bed with the Saudis.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
We are exporting. In fact, we export nearly all the oil that the US produces.

OTOH, we the oil we use is imported.

That's because US refineries are set up to refine the "sweet, light crude" that comes from the Middle East, not the much more sulfurous "sour" crude that comes out of North America.

We would have to substantially revamp our refineries to process our own oil.

So we import what we use and export what we produce.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:29 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We are exporting. In fact, we export nearly all the oil that the US produces.

OTOH, we the oil we use is imported.

That's because US refineries are set up to refine the "sweet, light crude" that comes from the Middle East, not the much more sulfurous "sour" crude that comes out of North America.

We would have to substantially revamp our refineries to process our own oil.

So we import what we use and export what we produce.
Now this is interesting. Apparently we can't figure out how much US produced crude is refined here.
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=268&t=6

It does say "most".

Export/Import numbers:
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=727&t=6

Old 10-16-2018, 09:54 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
We didn't seem to have a supply problem in Wyoming that I can recall, but I did see news stories on TV about the shortage, and for a short time, gas stations on I-90 across South Dakota had shortages. My wife and I were both from Iowa, and we made a lot of trips back there, but I also owned a small plane then so used it for most of those trips. I never experienced any aviation fuel shortages. The biggest impact for me was the 55 mph speed limit, but the plane cured most of that problem -- no speed limits affected me up above.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
We didn't seem to have a supply problem in Wyoming that I can recall, but I did see news stories on TV about the shortage, and for a short time, gas stations on I-90 across South Dakota had shortages. My wife and I were both from Iowa, and we made a lot of trips back there, but I also owned a small plane then so used it for most of those trips. I never experienced any aviation fuel shortages. The biggest impact for me was the 55 mph speed limit, but the plane cured most of that problem -- no speed limits affected me up above.
I was in rural NWPA at the time, for the one in 1973 I was in college and was working for a manufacturer for the one in 1979, and also don't remember any supply issues although prices, of course, went up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive