Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 04:21 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
OK, this is what I am looking at inside my ES 350. Show me one of those 5000 places.
Door pocket, under the seat, back seat, glove compartment, trunk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:08 AM

91 posts, read 71,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How those magnets work with phones in a protective case? I have Otter box which is quite robust.
They don't work. I have to take my phone off the case to stick it on the magnet. I also don't like vent clips in winter since the phone overheats.

I used to have windshield mount magnet that i loved but it broke. I guess my phone was too heavy for it. So my phone mostly stays inside my purse unless I'm using gps, in which case the vent mount will do.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:35 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
lol all cars that we have owned have a perfect cell phone compartment in the center unit. There is always a small flip down area or some other open area in the center.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:37 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridiana View Post
They don't work. I have to take my phone off the case to stick it on the magnet. I also don't like vent clips in winter since the phone overheats.

I used to have windshield mount magnet that i loved but it broke. I guess my phone was too heavy for it. So my phone mostly stays inside my purse unless I'm using gps, in which case the vent mount will do.
I use Apple maps for directions and leave iPhone in center console just follow the voice commands. It’s way better than my garmin.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:02 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
The magnets don't work for me. At least I prefer to not adhere the metal plate onto the case and having the case between the two magnets makes it less stable. I've started to use a full cradle that clamps to the vent, like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I'm in the car, Waze is always on. I like having up to date information on construction, traffic, speed traps, etc.

The only caveat to these clamps is that they may or may not fit your new phone. Hence, I have like 2 of these cradles sitting in a drawer that are no longer being used. Of course, at $15-$20 a pop, it's not a big deal. I would be nice if cars made some universal receptacle that would fit allow manufactures to just make various solutions that would fit (like the LATCH system).

That said - I think it's a very minor issue. For storage, I typically put the phone in the cup holder. Most cars also have a rubber lined area in the center console. My oldest car is a 2009 Subaru, and even that has an area.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:07 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Avalon hybrid has Qi charging spot where it goes right in front of the shifter - it connects to Carplay and displays up on the screen. One and done.

On our other cars previous we use and used the clamps that fit into the CD slot - after all, not many people use CD's anymore!

Old 12-04-2018, 07:11 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Put it in your pocket or brief case or purse. You shouldn't be looking at your cell phone when driving.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:19 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No.

With that logic talking to your passengers while driving is equally dangerous. The issue is taking your eyes off the road to look at your phone which is dangerous. Talking while driving is not an issue.
Conversation is the distraction. If I were to answer my hand held cell phone in my car, there is not a second that I need to take my eyes off the road to do so. It is ironic to me that it is not against the law to hold a coffee cup in your hand while driving and talking over Bluetooth with one hand on the wheel, but it is against the law to talk on your phone while driving with one hand. Bluetooth, simply allows you to multi task while driving. I used to catch up on all of my calls on my way home from work until it became against the law to do so and I hate Bluetooth, so finding a spot to store my phone while driving is not an issue for me.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:07 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Put it in your pocket or brief case or purse. You shouldn't be looking at your cell phone when driving.
You've never used Waze or any other Nav app on your phone, I take it. It's much better than the factory Nav setup and usually no more distracting than listening to the radio in your car.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:23 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Avalon hybrid has Qi charging spot where it goes right in front of the shifter - it connects to Carplay and displays up on the screen. One and done.

On our other cars previous we use and used the clamps that fit into the CD slot - after all, not many people use CD's anymore!

What year is your Avalon? Toyota has been very resistant to making Apple CarPlay and Android Auto available on their vehicles. CarPlay is just now coming online with some of the 2019 models, including the Avalon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive