Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 11:43 AM

739 posts, read 843,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There has been much discussion of extended warranties here and just about everywhere else. For every time someone hits the jackpot and gets some large and unexpected repair covered, there are a thousand policies that are either never touched or do not cover encountered problems.

The coverage is limited (largely to parts that don't break) and the exclusions go on for pages.

You are better off maintaining the car well and setting aside a little for repairs. That $1500 you have burning a hole in your pocket would be a good start.
Fair point.
I just like the idea of no hassle since I'm not good at working on cars and it is difficult to find a good shop that doesn't try raking their customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
What model Ford will significantly impact the need for the warranty.

Fusion

Old 01-19-2019, 11:47 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Fair point.
I just like the idea of no hassle since I'm not good at working on cars and it is difficult to find a good shop that doesn't try raking their customers.
"No hassle" is meaningless. Either the shop is reliable and honest and will treat you fairly, or they will not; I assure you that being mechanically competent is little shield against a crooked dealer shop. The extended warranty guarantees nothing in this regard but likely binds you to one shop or a network of shops instead of allowing you to choose an independent mechanic.

Search around. There have been many, many discussions of this and excepting rare cases, the consensus is that extended warranties are almost never worth their cost and protect neither your car nor you to any worthwhile extent.

Find a good independent shop for your oil changes and routine maintenance and build a relationship with them. That will put them much more on your side when something breaks. And that's if something breaks; modern cars can easily go 100-150k miles without more than routine maintenance.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
"No hassle" is meaningless. Either the shop is reliable and honest and will treat you fairly, or they will not; I assure you that being mechanically competent is little shield against a crooked dealer shop. The extended warranty guarantees nothing in this regard but likely binds you to one shop or a network of shops instead of allowing you to choose an independent mechanic.

Search around. There have been many, many discussions of this and excepting rare cases, the consensus is that extended warranties are almost never worth their cost and protect neither your car nor you to any worthwhile extent.

Find a good independent shop for your oil changes and routine maintenance and build a relationship with them. That will put them much more on your side when something breaks. And that's if something breaks; modern cars can easily go 100-150k miles without more than routine maintenance.
It's a manufacturer's warranty which means it is good at any dealer. Not one of those after market warranties.

Good point. If I were to get a 100k warranty, I would burn through it in 2 1/2 years. If something were to go wrong, it would probably be after this.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:19 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
If you're buying a Genuine Ford ESP (Extended Service Plan) give these guys a buzz first.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

Get their price (usually the cheapest in the country) and try and get your local Ford dealer to beat it.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
If you're buying a Genuine Ford ESP (Extended Service Plan) give these guys a buzz first.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

Get their price (usually the cheapest in the country) and try and get your local Ford dealer to beat it.

That's one of the places I was looking at, thanks tho!

Old 01-19-2019, 12:52 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Fusion
Fusions get very good reliablility scores, and the standard warranty covers the big stuff for 60k, I think the odds you are throwing your money away on an extended warranty are extremely high.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
On a recent Fusion, I'd be expecting a transmission issue with the mileage you have on it, assuming it's a 2013-2015 based upon mileage that was stated in the OP. There have been a couple of TSBs on the transmission, I think, from what a friend mentioned with their Fusion, so $1800 is less than a transmission cost, with $100/deductible. I'd look at that, if you plan to keep the car for the next few years. The situation is not as bad as with the Fiesta/Fusion and their well documented transmission problems, but Ford hasn't had the best longevity with the modern transmissions, which would likely be the highest cost repair that you'd be likely to encounter.

Modern Fusions have average to below average reliability, depending upon the year between 2013-2015. If you had a Malibu or a Regal, I'd be less inclined to purchase the extended service contract, but with a Fusion, or especially a Fusion hybrid, I'd be slightly more inclined to buy it for the longest duration if I planned to keep the car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-20-2019, 09:01 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Does it cover electrical components? That's my big concern. Those can eat up $1200-1800 and then some pretty quick.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Does it cover electrical components? That's my big concern. Those can eat up $1200-1800 and then some pretty quick.

It does. That is my biggest concern as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive