Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:13 AM

99 posts, read 79,325 times

Advertisements

Let me throw this in there... Some of us are better natural born drivers than others.

Within a very short time of getting a license. And once I got comfortable really driving (first car was a stick-shift, so, once I mastered that..) I would put forth that me, and people like me, simply "understand" driving more, and simply know how to more naturally. Engine braking. How to power out of a curve. Carving a nice line through an S turn. Knowing how to slow down a little in the rain. Only time an idiot slammed into me was in the rain. These all occur naturally on the road. And some of us live in areas where the road can let us do these things. Does anyone else subscribe that some of us simply are naturally better drivers and can handle a car better than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 07:41 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollydoodoo View Post
Let me throw this in there... Some of us are better natural born drivers than others.

Within a very short time of getting a license. And once I got comfortable really driving (first car was a stick-shift, so, once I mastered that..) I would put forth that me, and people like me, simply "understand" driving more, and simply know how to more naturally. Engine braking. How to power out of a curve. Carving a nice line through an S turn. Knowing how to slow down a little in the rain. Only time an idiot slammed into me was in the rain. These all occur naturally on the road. And some of us live in areas where the road can let us do these things. Does anyone else subscribe that some of us simply are naturally better drivers and can handle a car better than others?

I'd agree. As a competition driving instructor, I saw a lot of people that had very little natural ability, and others that were quite good without any training whatsoever. Spacial and situational awareness can be taught, but it certainly helps to have natural ability to start with and there's often a level that some people can't progress beyond.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:17 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I'd agree. As a competition driving instructor, I saw a lot of people that had very little natural ability, and others that were quite good without any training whatsoever. Spacial and situational awareness can be taught, but it certainly helps to have natural ability to start with and there's often a level that some people can't progress beyond.

I totally agree, natural ability is a huge plus when it comes to driving, especially in challenging conditions.

I have very little natural ability, so I use the utmost of caution.

On the flip-side, even with a ton of natural ability, you can get into a lot of wrecks if you get too reliant on ability and ignore good driving technique and principles.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:10 PM

99 posts, read 79,325 times
I appreciate your replies, cvetters63 and tickyul.

While I am humble enough to know that I could always learn something new, such as:

- Just why is it that light cars handle so much better on a track than heavy cars? Yet the speed is virtually the same in a straight line?
- How exactly do you feel out your car's "limit?" Same applies to an SUV
- Take a turn wide (on the outside, shall we say) at the entrance and then cut the apex real close, or the opposite... come in close, then come out wide on acceleration? I think the latter would be faster..

Aside from things like this, I am a quite good driver and things just come naturally to me

I knew how to turn IN to a slide.. once in the snow (let off the brakes and you find traction.. whoa that was close. This in my first year of driving) and once when a tire blew on my powerful, heavy, RWD Jaguar. Mashed the gas on the latter, car fishtailed, I stayed with it. Pulled to side of road, half expecting a mangled front end. When there wasn't a scratch on it, I then drove it slowly on the shoulder off the highway on the flat (a mile or less) and all was well where I then safely went about getting proper tire.. That fishtail was WILD, but nobody told me that is what I had to do. I just knew.

I know you put the car into a "spin" if that didn't work. Thankfully, I maintained control.

I know you put as much car between you and something incoming as you can. MOST people don't know how to "spin" a car. I do..

I knew how to make my car turn 180 degrees with a perfect quick burn-out on my 3-series 5-speed. Older me wants a 5-series.. or 7..

I've driven well enough to get out of some sticky situations that would have landed others in jail.

I know how to leave three points of exit at all times.

Driving is quite easy, and also fun.. It becomes whatever you make it.

And the most uncomfortable part of driving is when someone doesn't like when you merged in front of them.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:27 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 29 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollydoodoo View Post
And the most uncomfortable part of driving is when someone doesn't like when you merged in front of them.
I am fortunate to live in a town with a metro population in the middle 6 digits, and the motorists are mostly nice and considerate toward each other, but there is the occasional jassack who will try to crowd out anyone who wants to merge into traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive