Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 02:46 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times

Advertisements

I have a Jeep Cherokee that came with a set of basic steel crossbars. I've been looking at replacing these with some Thule or Yakima bars, and I'm blown away by the prices.

A set of Aeroblades is pushing $500 for the bars alone, not counting any other mounting equipment I need. A rooftop cargo carrier can easily run over $500 for what is basically a mountable box.

You could easily pay more for mounting equipment, racks, etc., than you could for whatever it is you're trying to transport!

Why are these seemingly simple products so expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 02:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,787,168 times
1) Liability. Engineering and usability must be immaculate to forestall liability issues.
2) Limited market for each design, since each make, model and year range needs something specifically customized.
3) Because it's a must-have accessory for those who drive, acquire and play with very expensive adult toys.

With 3 being nearly the entire real reason.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:55 PM

17,346 posts, read 12,305,057 times
You can get cheap non-name brand versions from China(aliexpress, ebay, etc), but they're not very durable from examples I've seen. Buying used can save a lot of money.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:44 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You can get cheap non-name brand versions from China(aliexpress, ebay, etc), but they're not very durable from examples I've seen. Buying used can save a lot of money.
That may be very well what I end up doing. This isn't stuff I'm going to use regularly. I'm not going to invest a ton into it

Old 05-09-2019, 09:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,616,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have a Jeep Cherokee that came with a set of basic steel crossbars. I've been looking at replacing these with some Thule or Yakima bars, and I'm blown away by the prices.

A set of Aeroblades is pushing $500 for the bars alone, not counting any other mounting equipment I need. A rooftop cargo carrier can easily run over $500 for what is basically a mountable box.

You could easily pay more for mounting equipment, racks, etc., than you could for whatever it is you're trying to transport!

Why are these seemingly simple products so expensive?
Because they work. Years from now that Thule or Yakima will still work when the Chinese pos is in a landfill.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:59 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,646,117 times
You could go to a metal fabricator, tell them what kind of roof rack you want, and they could build one to your exact specs, a whole lot cheaper than a Thule, Yakima, etc, those brands, a large part of the price is the brand name.

I had a local guy build mine when I had the Saturn Vue, it looked exactly like the Yakima carriers, but $300 cheaper and it was much tougher and powder coated too. Look under craiglist for welding and metal fabricators, a roof rack is pretty basic to metal fabricators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive