Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 02:06 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,891,514 times

Advertisements

I finally got a car with a chain a few years ago - an Elantra. It's great. It saves me a lot not having to replace the belt. I don't think I will ever get a car with a timing belt again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 02:26 PM

1,002 posts, read 916,718 times
Mine has a chain. Plenty examples of Honda engines with original chains at 400,000+ miles. Not all makes have chains which last as long, in some the tensioner can fail which can cause catastrophic damage, and in cases the chain can stretch over time and cause an engine not to run as well, even if it hasn't broken. It's definitely a more durable option than a belt.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Real cars have timing gears.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Gears chip teeth and chains stretch. When you will get to infamous timing chain slap in the morning, circle back to this thread and tell us how you feel NOW. And that slap is rather odd to diagnose, while engine performance is deteriorating overall, because of now bad timing, you will have all kinds of diagnoses and repairs offered, to the tune of many $$ spent. As chain will be on the last leg to consider, as "I got chain, it's forever".

Old 06-19-2019, 03:41 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Mine has a chain. Plenty examples of Honda engines with original chains at 400,000+ miles. Not all makes have chains which last as long, in some the tensioner can fail which can cause catastrophic damage, and in cases the chain can stretch over time and cause an engine not to run as well, even if it hasn't broken. It's definitely a more durable option than a belt.

But with a belt, if you keep up with it, you have good tight cam to crank coordination for the entire life of the car. It's much easier to change most timing belts than most timing chains.

I have a few cars with belts, the Scirocco, the 87 Camry, the 92 Subie Legacy. The good thing about these 3 is none are "interference" or "crash" engines. So if the belt breaks, while I'm coming home on a tow hook, all I have to do is put on a new belt (in many cases it makes sense to do the water pump at the same time) which I am perfectly able to do myself in my garage. AAA will pay for the tow. So I am out some time and inconvenience, but no real financial damage.

If you have a decent garage and at least mediocre wrench turning skills, changing out a timing belt is not that big a job. But most "'murricans" truly hate to do maintenance, they hate to "fix what ain't broke", so most non-enthusiasts are better off with a chain. Reference all of GM's shenanigans with 5 year coolant (Dexcool) and 100K spark plug change intervals. It's what the Homer Simpsons of motoring really want - just to put gas in it and drive it, never touching a wrench.

Chains are certainly not immortal. I have seen old school Detroit V-8 engines' timing chains get loose enough to jump a tooth, once that happens you are probably not going anywhere except with a tow truck.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:51 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,378,272 times
I had timing gears fail on a 39 Chev six. It was a PITA to replace.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
all my cars through the years have had, for the most part, timing chains. i have one engine, not in a car, right now that has timing gears, and i have had two cars with timing belts. they are all reliable, but you do have to keep after them all. i think the chain in my grand marquis is coming to the end if its life, and i may start looking into having it replaced. we shall see.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:12 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
chains endure.
belts replace.
gears go away.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
My vehicles have timing chains. Two are diesels and they have timing gears. I won’t buy a car with a. Timing belt again. I didn’t have issues with the ones that did but I don’t want the additional maintenance

Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
I thought timing belts were mostly a thing of the past. Given this thread, I guess not!

Mine has a Timing chain. Supposedly, you'll never need to replace them, but I heard they're at least more durable than timing belts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive