Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 06:30 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,040,546 times

Advertisements

Just changed oil at a Valvoline on my 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i. This is actually my go-to Valvoline after the one closest to my house broke the hood latch and refused to take responsibility for it. Anyways, the new Valvoline has been immaculate but today on driving home, on the final traffic light before my house, I saw some smoke emanating from the engine bay. It was slight, not too much. Got home and saw that they splashed a little bit of oil on the engine. I suppose it was burning off and causing the smoke. There's also some oil by the engine oil filter, it's being held in a ring around the oil filter. Is it leaking out, did they add too much oil? Or is it something else?

Just wondering and hoping to hear from wiser minds than I. Have a great evening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 07:02 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,948,238 times
Your 1st inclination would be correct. Most likely oil was spilled. How much would be anyone's guess. I'd check the dipstick to make certain it wasn't a half a quart.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,040,546 times
What should I do with it? Just let it burn off on subsequent drives? I'm most concerned about the slight ring of oil around the oil filter. Is it leaking out or do I just have to absorb that bit with a paper towel and get rid of it?

Old 07-17-2019, 07:19 PM

61,912 posts, read 87,428,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Your 1st inclination would be correct. Most likely oil was spilled. How much would be anyone's guess. I'd check the dipstick to make certain it wasn't a half a quart.
This. Happens often. You have few options - look under the hood - if isn't much, let it burn, or wipe off or powerwash if its a lot. Yes, and check the oil level with a dipstick.
You will see if there is a leak when you park your car for a while (look under your car to see if there are any spots on the concrete/surface).

Old 07-17-2019, 07:24 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,157,182 times
You *could* start doing your own oil changes. That way you would know the guy working on your car cares about your car, because it's YOU. You put in the right amount of the right oil, you put on the right high-quality oil filter and don't cross-thread it, etc.

If you live in an apartment, surely you can find someone with at least a driveway or pad where you can do the deed.

From what I read about them, all these "quick lube" places are prone to this sort of crap, at least some of the time you get a "technician" who was working at Micky D's last week and knows diddly about cars.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:54 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,443,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You *could* start doing your own oil changes. That way you would know the guy working on your car cares about your car, because it's YOU. You put in the right amount of the right oil, you put on the right high-quality oil filter and don't cross-thread it, etc.

If you live in an apartment, surely you can find someone with at least a driveway or pad where you can do the deed.

From what I read about them, all these "quick lube" places are prone to this sort of crap, at least some of the time you get a "technician" who was working at Micky D's last week and knows diddly about cars.
For a 2017 take to the dealer they are not expensive anymore for a simple oil change, why would you want to lay on the ground and than try to dispose of the old oil. Dyi oil change is really starting to fizzle out because of the cheap cost to have the dealer do it especially on vehicles still under the manufacture warranty. I sit have a coffee and a snack and let them do it and i don’t get pressure to upsell me anything i know when it’s time to replace air and cabin filter. I’ve had vehicles since the early 1970’s so the dealer can’t BS me i know when it’s time to replace filters, and those i can do myself because.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:13 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,616,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
For a 2017 take to the dealer they are not expensive anymore for a simple oil change, why would you want to lay on the ground and than try to dispose of the old oil. Dyi oil change is really starting to fizzle out because of the cheap cost to have the dealer do it especially on vehicles still under the manufacture warranty. I sit have a coffee and a snack and let them do it and i don’t get pressure to upsell me anything i know when it’s time to replace air and cabin filter. I’ve had vehicles since the early 1970’s so the dealer can’t BS me i know when it’s time to replace filters, and those i can do myself because.
You personally may not get up sold, but most people that go for “just a oil change” get up sold all the time. Dealers/shops don’t make money on oil changes. The “special” oil change deal is just to get you in the door. Whenever my wife took her car to the dealer she was always in need of something. They tired it with me. It may not work with everyone but it works with enough people. Sort of like credit card companies. Most pay in payments. A few pay off in full at the end of the month. Same with dealers. It’s a numbers game.

I would take it to a dealership over a quick oil lube chain joint. Simply because at least dealers have somewhat of a clue. I diy because I can and I save time. The money isn’t as big a cost saving. Basically anywhere from 15-25 bucks for my gas cars to 100 bucks for my diesels and that’s simply due to the amount of oil they take. It also gives me a chance to look at everything on the car and what may be wearing oil. It takes me about 20 minutes to do a oil change including greasing the joints. It probably takes you 20 minutes to get to the dealer. And that’s ok. Some day I may not want to crawl under my truck either. Of course b6 then we will be in electric cars but I digress

Some people let shops do oil changes for multiple reasons basically they can’t due to physically, geographically or mentally restricted.

The bigger problem is going to a shop and expecting perfection for $25.99. It’s just not gonna happen.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:17 AM

1,665 posts, read 979,518 times
Just like Mitch said. Do them yourself. That way you can take your time, make sure the correct amount of oil is used...etc.

That way any oil spilled could be cleaned up, you can inspect the parts and motor, see what needs serviced, check front end...

Old 07-18-2019, 06:07 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,443,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You personally may not get up sold, but most people that go for “just a oil change” get up sold all the time. Dealers/shops don’t make money on oil changes. The “special” oil change deal is just to get you in the door. Whenever my wife took her car to the dealer she was always in need of something. They tired it with me. It may not work with everyone but it works with enough people. Sort of like credit card companies. Most pay in payments. A few pay off in full at the end of the month. Same with dealers. It’s a numbers game.

I would take it to a dealership over a quick oil lube chain joint. Simply because at least dealers have somewhat of a clue. I diy because I can and I save time. The money isn’t as big a cost saving. Basically anywhere from 15-25 bucks for my gas cars to 100 bucks for my diesels and that’s simply due to the amount of oil they take. It also gives me a chance to look at everything on the car and what may be wearing oil. It takes me about 20 minutes to do a oil change including greasing the joints. It probably takes you 20 minutes to get to the dealer. And that’s ok. Some day I may not want to crawl under my truck either. Of course b6 then we will be in electric cars but I digress

Some people let shops do oil changes for multiple reasons basically they can’t due to physically, geographically or mentally restricted.

The bigger problem is going to a shop and expecting perfection for $25.99. It’s just not gonna happen.
Yep I’m not a person who is obsessed about a vehicle, some people treat their vehicles better than their house and sometimes their wife’s or girlfriends. I just let the dealer do my maintenance because the way a vehicle is made today a oil change and tire rotation is al, that’s really required at regular intervals. Everything else is when you get up there in miles. No more changing anti freeze every winter, no tuneup like changing points and condenser and checking timing. Hell even the automatic transmission is sealed. I let dealer do everything because it’s their vehicle their company made it.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:27 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,703,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What should I do with it? Just let it burn off on subsequent drives? I'm most concerned about the slight ring of oil around the oil filter. Is it leaking out or do I just have to absorb that bit with a paper towel and get rid of it?

Some oil filters are a bear to install without spilling some of the oil you have put in them so the engine won't have a dry start up. I would take a clean rag and maybe some spray degreaser (even household cleaner), spray that entire area and clean up the oil. It might still smoke a little for a bit, but will go away, and you really want to watch that area to see if the oil shows back up. That would indicate that the filter isn't sealing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive