Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 07:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 881,725 times

Advertisements

I don't understand people who say "What do I need a parking brake for, my car's an automatic" or any such sentiment like that, and view them as unnecessary. I can cite a couple examples right off the top of my head where having a parking brake is helpful/vital.

1. When parking on a hill. Not only does it lock the two rear wheels and make the car more secure when parking on an incline, but in automatic cars they'll be very difficult to get out of park, as the weight of the vehicle is putting the parking paw on a bind and holding the vehicle back instead of the e-brake.

Obviously you should always cut your wheels toward the curb when parking downhill, and away from the curb when going uphill. That's another thing I've seen people not do, something that a simple driver's ed course would've taught them, or a knowledgeable person teaching them to drive.

2. If you happen to blow a brake line your parking brake will help you stop (Duh!)

I think in the end it comes down to something I've made numerous threads about: Cheapness and apathy

IMO, too many people have the attitude of "I don't care about my car or if things are broken, I just need something to get me from A to B". Taking pride in ownership, regardless of whether we're talking about cars, household items, or whatever else, seems to have died off long ago and people just don't care anymore. There's a culture of "I just want enough to barely scrap by and never aspire to do anything beyond that" that's taken over this country.

I've also heard people being afraid to use it because of the fear of something seizing up, which has happened to me when doing vehicle inspections (they must work and hold the vehicle in order to pass in my state). But again, I'd blame that on dumb owners that never set them in the first place, allowing things to seize up, rather than this idea that parking brakes are not needed or useful.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 08:29 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,999,474 times
I do it backwards. I don’t put manual transmissions in gear but only use the parking brake.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:32 PM

37,771 posts, read 46,249,578 times
Never heard anyone say that. Ever.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I do it backwards. I don’t put manual transmissions in gear but only use the parking brake.
At least you use it.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Never heard anyone say that. Ever.
You would not believe how many customers I've had that complained when I failed them for inspection because their parking brake either didn't work (broken cable, shoe linings gone, etc.) or doesn't hold (improperly adjusted, seized caliper). They get indignant, saying "Why does my parking brake need to work? I don't even use it!"

Well, according to state law, it has to work properly in order to pass inspection, so either fix it or take your reject sticker. They act like I'm ripping them off when I'm just doing my job, and ensuring I keep my inspection license. Have seen a few of my former colleagues lose theirs or get fined for passing piles of junk, likely to "help out" one of their friends.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:39 PM

11,475 posts, read 11,616,736 times
There is very little need for a parking brake in an automatic, the exception being steep hills. In my manual cars, I always did in gear and parking brake. Manuals can pop out of gear. Autos, not so much.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:39 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,617,119 times
On a hill you must but if I use it daily on flat ground I will burn it up I am an old guy and forget

Old 10-13-2019, 08:41 PM

8,586 posts, read 4,832,965 times
I have a manual trans. I do belt-and-suspenders, put it in gear and pull the e-brake. No reason not to.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I have a manual trans. I do belt-and-suspenders, put it in gear and pull the e-brake. No reason not to.
Amen to that!

Old 10-13-2019, 08:43 PM

573 posts, read 589,894 times
I always use it on an incline of any sort. Maybe it's because I've driven both manuals and automatics, and used it in both, but I prefer not to take the chance. I tend to be more of a risk avoider than many people because I wasn't raised with a silver spoon, and even now can't afford a major disaster caused by a rogue car rolling down/uphill. What I find too often is people don't really tend to think about their stupid actions having consequences, like people that drink and drive. If I did that, I'd probably end up homeless because I couldn't work, couldn't pay the fines which means I couldn't drive, and that would be that. Most others would have parents/SO bail them out I guess...

Last edited by Loveswater_outdoors; 10-13-2019 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Elaboration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive