Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2022, 10:02 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,780,936 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is all marketing but lately I've seen more Hyundai EVs on the road than other makes with the exception of Teslas which are just about everywhere these days. I've seen quite a few Chevy Bolts, Leafs, and the rarest EVs are the Audi E-trons.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:34 AM

12,667 posts, read 9,826,080 times
Until this year, Hyundai didn't have any EVs built on a dedicated EV platform. This year, Hyundai introduced the Ioniq 5, and sister company Kia the EV6 - built on an all-new, 800-volt EV platform. These are bigger and better EVs than the Kona EV, and although they're more expensive, I think they'll sell more of them.

Nice article on E-GMP platform and plans:
https://www.designnews.com/automotiv...ev-models-2030

"Hyundai has minimized the range reduction caused by adding AWD by including a disconnect system for the front drivetrain so that it does not contribute any parasitic drag when it is inactive while cruising on the highway, reports Hyundai’s manager of electrified performance, Ryan Miller. 'If you don’t, you’ll lose 5 or 6 percent energy through the front axle', he said. And the 800-volt battery pack is 7 percent more energy dense than a 400-volt battery.

As it stands, the Ioniq 5’s rear motor/inverter combination is 95 percent efficient, a number it achieves by sweating these details. The car’s EPA-rated MPG equivalent score is 132 MPGe, compared to 110 MPGe for the Ford Mach-E and 107 MPGe for the Volkswagen ID.4."

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-21-2022 at 05:14 AM..

Old 07-21-2022, 10:20 PM

5,778 posts, read 11,448,437 times
If nothing else, the upside is that competition from Hyundai is pushing technology development that will force other brands to improve also. I see more Hyundai (and Kia) vehicles in Germany than any of the big Japan brands, so they are making big inroads in a lot of places.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:45 AM

17,413 posts, read 12,375,194 times
If I were to buy an electric today it would probably be the Ioniq5.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:25 PM

1,983 posts, read 6,899,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If I were to buy an electric today it would probably be the Ioniq5.
For me as far as price point and range it is between the Mach-E, Ioniq5 or the VW ID4

Our Hyundai sonata is burning oil like crazy and Hyundai is not honoring the class action lawsuit, waiting for the engine to seize, so I washed my hands off of them. Sold a Veloster and a Tucson and replaced them with other makes.
Now, the Ioniq is an EV, so might be ok as the Hyundai info system has always been one of the more user friendly ones for me.
Nervous about the VW as their cars are ok except their electronics, then not sure buying an EV from them is the smartest move.
Ford, might be ok, but as it has been in recent history, the domestics are a bit iffy. Look at the Chevy Bolt recall issues.

I also agree with the other poster that the European car market is very different. Traveling here now and the make and models are much more diverse than US. Seen a few Toyota's, more Nissans and Mitsu's. The there is Renault, Peugeot, Dacia, Citroen, Opel, along with the Koreans and Germans.

Most of the Toyota's I see are Taxi Prius and Prius V's.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:34 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,443,895 times
Teslas are quite rare in this area. Your location, if you choose to state it, does make a difference.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:28 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,419,065 times
I'm just a tad nervous about electromagnetic radiation while sitting on top of an 800 volt battery. There isn't much out there to read about it, but I did see one guy who did a test and the radiation was above safe limits inside a 400v EV while fast charging, and I saw another article that the daily exposure to EMF in an EV could potentially exceed safe limits depending on miles driven per day.

I wonder if 800v would be higher radiation, or alternatively, since the amperage would be half as much, maybe lower. Just don't know enough about the stuff but I get a little concerned only because (a) there don't seem to be many studies, and (b) the few that do exist do show a need for more research.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:03 PM

2,784 posts, read 5,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm just a tad nervous about electromagnetic radiation while sitting on top of an 800 volt battery. There isn't much out there to read about it, but I did see one guy who did a test and the radiation was above safe limits inside a 400v EV while fast charging, and I saw another article that the daily exposure to EMF in an EV could potentially exceed safe limits depending on miles driven per day.

I wonder if 800v would be higher radiation, or alternatively, since the amperage would be half as much, maybe lower. Just don't know enough about the stuff but I get a little concerned only because (a) there don't seem to be many studies, and (b) the few that do exist do show a need for more research.

you are right to be concerned, too bad it is something that it is mostly swept under media carpet.

Quote:
Dr. Joel Moskowitz, Director of the Center for Family and Community Health at the University of California Berkeley, shared that hybrid and electric cars may be cancer-causing as they emit increased levels of ELF.
Recent epidemiologic studies have connected ELFs to a higher risk of developing certain types of Cancer, Depression, and miscarriage, and many studies show that this exposure can have direct in vivo and in vitro bioeffects. ELFs can increase oxidative stress, which can damage DNA, involve lipid peroxidation, and cause other body system disturbances.
The International Agency for Research on Cancer of the World Health Organization considers magnetic fields as carcinogenic in humans. This safety principle dictates how companies should design products to minimize exposure to EMF radiation since health risks increase with the length of exposure to these invisible emissions...
https://www.defendershield.com/elect...be-bad-for-you

Old 07-26-2022, 05:08 AM

3,839 posts, read 2,363,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
you are right to be concerned, too bad it is something that it is mostly swept under media carpet.
BS. it's not reported on because it's a non issue. I REALLY wish you'd stop positing your anti-EV drivel.

Although studies have linked EMF exposure with serious health issues, the exposure an EV driver would be experiencing is lower than 20% of the value recommended by the International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection (ICNIRP). These results come from a seven-country, EU-funded study that involved testing of seven different electric cars, one hydrogen-powered car, two petrol-fueled cars and one diesel-fueled car. In the non-electric cars, exposure was measured at around 10% of the recommended safety level. Even the highest values of EMF exposure in the EVs, which would occur when starting the car and being located closest to the battery, do not yield any health concerns.

Source

Zolfagharifard, E. (2014). Experts dismiss fears that driving electric cars could cause cancer. Retrieved 15 December 2020, from https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...se-cancer.html

This myth has been going around since the early 2000s and introduction of hybrid cars. People like you have ALWAYS pushed this mistaken agenda that has had to be refuted time and time again.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...rids/index.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive