Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:06 AM

173 posts, read 939,086 times

Advertisements

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the deal. I purchased a new car on Tuesday (10/7/08). When I drove off the car lot I noticed a not so nice drive. I was told my family members and car salesman that the noise I was hearing was due to the car being a 4 cylinder (my last car was a V-6).

Anyhooo, Finally on Friday (10/10/08) I took the car to the dealership to find out what was really wrong. At first the sales associates gave me a "your crazy" look. Then when they test drove the car they discovered that the new car didn't have any power steering fluid in it. The power steering fluid valve wasn't correctly placed on the car (manufacture defect from assembly line), which caused the power steering fluid to squirt all over the engine and vital parts under the hood of the car. They now have to order a part that should be here today. I am suppose to be able to pick the car up today by 4pm.

SIDEBAR: ONCE THEY TOLD ME THEY NEEDED ME TO DROP OFF MY CAR FOR SERVICE THEY SENT ME OVER TO THEIR PREFERRED CAR RENTAL COMPANY WHICH GAVE ME A RENTAL CAR WITH NO GAS.

I was so angry last night that I started writing letter to Honda Corporation and the dealership that I purchased the car from. In the letter I asked for a new car (due to the fact I only had the car for 72 hours).

Can they do that (give me a new car)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 08:28 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Sure they can, highly unlikely that they will.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:57 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Depends on your state - some states allow cars to be returned within 30 days of purchase, but this is just a warranty claim. I hope Honda would fix the problem, give you your new car back, and you'd be happy from now on, but if the rental company had no gas, I'd call the rental company about that.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:05 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
I call BS. Power steering fluid is flammable, if it was squirting all over your engine it could easily have started a fire. And even if that didn't happen, you would certainly notice something was wrong with the steering, as in Flintstones-like effort levels.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:24 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Yeah, I think you're just trying to make Honda look bad. Try GM, Ford, and Chrysler - they would be easier targets!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:08 AM

No, I dont want to make Honda look bad, actually I think they are good at what they do.

But the FACTS are the FACTS! THE CAR DIDNT HAVE STEERING WHELL FLUID IN IT.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
What model please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnew2nc View Post
When I drove off the car lot I noticed a not so nice drive. I was told by family members and car salesman that the noise I was hearing was due to the car being a 4 cylinder (my last car was a V-6).
I don't understand. When was the noise occurring, when you turned? And turning was higher effort than on the car you test drove? And based on this info that you relayed to your family and the salesman, they said it was just because the engine configuration was an inline four?

I've actually considered disabling the power steering in my 2007 Honda Civic Si Coupe, to see what the effort is like. My old 1986 RX-7 had its power steering removed when I bought it and although the effort was very high at parking lot speeds, it had an amazingly connected and direct feeling at all other speeds that I would never trade away for easier parking lot effort...

Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 AM

The car was rough as I drove and when I turned corners. By the steering wheel fluid "squirting" out under my hood it squirted on my engine and belts under the car.

When I test drove the car, when I asked the salesman about the issue he said that noise was due to the car being a 4 cylinder and not a V6. He said V6's sound much smoother and ride better than a 4 cylinder.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Tough question, missnew2nc.

Considering the circumstances, I believe I would calmly sit down with the Sales Manager (or higher, if possible) and explain how you feel about the problem.

In any case, I would definitely expect a New Vehicle or some type of compensation from Honda as buying a new car should be a great experience . . . NOT A FIASCO.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:24 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
You can be low on PS fluid, still have the steering feel fine and only hear some noise when taking a turn and the fluid sloshes to one side of the reservior. Happened to me before. I was getting this groaning noise whenever I took a turn real fast. It was just low PS fluid.

Dealers are the worst. On an old BMW I took to the stealer for a recall, they handed it back to me with NO coolant in the car. On another BMW I took to a different dealer for a warranty repair on a window swich, they handed me the car back and hand't even TOUCHED the window switch. Luckily, I tried to put the window down before I left the stealer. Took them 5 min. to finally repair it. I just didin't want to pay for the part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive