Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 AM

82 posts, read 413,343 times

Advertisements

I learned to drive on a manual '88 Dodge Caravan. On hills that beast was difficult deal with because of all the weight on it, it would roll and roll sort of scary now that I think about.

I have owned both automatics and manuals, and I much prefer manuals. I have found they are much better to handle in the snow then automatics. When approaching a stop I can downshift rather than break and I'm less likely to spin out.

I have a 2005 Corolla manual right now and I love my little car. It has fantastic MPG and it fun to drive! My next car I'm considering is a Subaru Forester or Outback but preferably a manual.

I think it's sad that so many don't know how to drive a manual, I think it's a good skill to have. I will definitely be teaching my kids how to drive one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That doesn't really answer my question, though. Is a man any less of a man if he can't drive a car with a manual transmission due to a physical handicap?
Well, I agree with Ray, no, he's no less of a man. (or woman).

But the weenie that could learn, but won't bother to learn, I mean, come on, it's not like learning to do a back-flip on a motorcycle like they do on the X games....

Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, I agree with Ray, no, he's no less of a man. (or woman).

But the weenie that could learn, but won't bother to learn, I mean, come on, it's not like learning to do a back-flip on a motorcycle like they do on the X games....
It probably is a good idea to learn but certainly not necessary. Some people probably don't have the opportunity to learn, also.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,078 times
How many amricans can drive stick?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 AM

749 posts, read 838,501 times
I much prefer driving sticks....driving an automatic is boring as hell to me.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,061 times
I learned to drive on a stick. Volkswagen Rabbit diesel engine. I have an automatic now but have no trouble with manual. Just don't ask me to parallel park, I am spatially challenged. I don't even trust my back-up camera in my car!

Old 05-19-2012, 11:46 AM

136 posts, read 141,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
I learned to drive on a stick. Volkswagen Rabbit diesel engine. I have an automatic now but have no trouble with manual. Just don't ask me to parallel park, I am spatially challenged. I don't even trust my back-up camera in my car!
Wow. Peoples lack of driving skills amazes me.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:56 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,061 times
I am one of those rare people who know my strengths and weaknesses. Parallel parking is my weakness. I don't worry about it too much, isn't that what valets' are for?

If I lived in a city where I was forced to parallel park, of course my skills would be better. But I don't. I get a lot of exercise parking as far away as I can from other people.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:27 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapom View Post
Autos are for lazy fools who don't care about having fun in their car, nor have they ever experienced a perfectly timed heel-toe double clutch down shift (not quoting Fast and Furious here, It is a VERY useful trick)
I guess I'm a lazy fool as I can't drive stick much anymore. I have driven stick for so many years. Not just little cars but big rigs, firetrucks, and dumps. BUT since I hurt my knees I was forced to give up stick for automatic. [Hurts like hell to have your knee pop when shifting] I used to double clutch all the time, very useful with a 2500 gallon tanker going down a steep mountain side

I'd say roughly 75% cannot drive a stickshift anymore as more of the vehicles are coming to dealerships automatics.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
He acted like I was the only American he ever met who did not know how to drive a stick shift car. I am in my 50s and have driven since I was 16 years old.

Do you drive a stick shift car? What percent of Americans could drive one who have a drivers license?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I've never driven a stick shift car, and I sort of refuse to. I don't want to ruin someone else's stick shift practicing. I also live in a very hilly city, so manual is not all that ideal. Only way I'd ever drive a stick shift is if I absolutely HAD TO, and I lived on flat terrain and never planned going up a hill again in my life. Plus, it just seems to be too much of a pain. You have to think about shifting all the time.
i am also in my 50s, and i learned to drive in car that had a manual transmission. my feeling is that you are a much better driver if you can drive a stick, rather than just an automatic. the reason for that is that you have to pay attention to everything going on around you in detail.

that said, for the most part these days, i am not able to drive a stick any more due to issues with my left leg not being able to move very well, thus i am not able to operate the clutch any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive