Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times

Advertisements

Sell the thing on Craigslist. Hope to get $500-$600 out of it.

Then go in and talk to a dealer about a car WITHOUT complicating the deal with the old one.

Anything a dealer is going to give you on trade for this car is just going to be added to the price of the car you're buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
people, the 2000 nissan maxima is an infamous lemon. my car wasn't flooded according to my insurance company. otherwise they would have totaled it out. when I say it was flooded, water got into the interior, but it wasn't anywhere near under water. google the 2000 nissan maxima "check engine" light. it's not just my car, it's a nissan problem. add "ignition coils" to the google and your computer might explode.

The final say is right. I always thought those years of Maximas were still good, but I was wrong. Look at what other owners have to say...

2000 Nissan Maxima Reviews - Carsurvey.org

Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The final say is right. I always thought those years of Maximas were still good, but I was wrong. Look at what other owners have to say...

2000 Nissan Maxima Reviews - Carsurvey.org

lmao. that check engine light is the freaking worst. it totally has a mind of its own. ignition coils, alternator, o2 sensor, mass airflow sensor. you name it, I replaced it. then the POS blows an engine. can't wait to pick up the honda I test drove tonight. F-nissan.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:00 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
At the moment, one of the local dealers is having a $3000 "push, pull, and drag" sale.
I wish I was in the market for a new car, I have a clunker sitting out in the pasture I could load up on the trailer and get $3000 for on trade!
It happens about once a year.
They have even been known to allow a horse to be traded in!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
putting a new engine in this car is like pouring perfume on a pig. it's been nothing but trouble. I guarantee you if I put a new engine in it, it will need a new transmission in a month. it's like that. the electrical system in the car is shot, and the check engine light has been an ongoing problem for me. by the way, I wouldn't buy a $30k car. I would pay $15-$16 for a honda or a toyota. something that will get better fuel economy and last much longer. also, I have the cash to do this so monthly payments aren't an issue.
Not all the time. I had an Acura RL that got a new engine at the 47k mark and I owned it for 8 more years and another 204k for a total of 251k...

As for the car in question, it is worth nothing as a trade-in. Any value of the car will be lost in the price negotiation. You can sell it as is on craigslist. If you like tinkering with cars and have a garage, you can strip it of all usable parts and then send it to the crusher. Then sell the parts on ebay, craigslist, etc... I have netted over $2k selling parts from my old Acura...

Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Don't dealers just mark the price up $3000 the night before the big sale?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Don't dealers just mark the price up $3000 the night before the big sale?
maybe in a sellers market. it's not one of those though. also, I am using costco and USAA to help me with purchasing this car. everyone gets ripped off a little bit.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,075 times
i have a beauty! nissan altima 3.5 se 2002 has new radiator new fuel pump new mass air flow and sensors, and alternator but one day it just didnt start yes im a girl lol but i dropped fuel pump myself and put new one in ! soo there. im being told by a supposedly that i need a new engine!! what??? it took them and a special electrical guy 2 weeks plus to get to this point, i want to trade possibly, for a land rover discovery had one before bought this will anyone buy or trade without me first putting in engine know of any sites that do thanks rainna pensacola Fla if interested or now of anyone pleeease contact at [email]artisiannouveau@gmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive