Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:41 PM

134 posts, read 495,535 times

Advertisements

I just bought a used 2007 Sebring. I don't know why I didn't notice this when I test drove it but on the way home from the car lot I noticed that the seats were uncomfortable! I really like the car. It's good on gas and I like the way it looks. But, if I have to take it any distance my back kills me. We tried putting pillows in various places but then the air bag sensor came on and I was afraid of it deploying!

Is there any other way to solve this problem except for getting rid of it?

Trust me, the next time I go to buy a car I will take it for a longer test drive and check out the seat situation!

Thanks
Joycie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,719,767 times
Do Sebrings have an adjustable lumbar? Try maneuvering that for a little bit. If all else fails get rid of it. If not, just think of all the exercise you'll get and all the money you'll save by avoiding your car!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,472 times
If you have a Relax The Back store in your area, check them out. If not, you can try online... My dad has a lumbar pillow for cars that he uses. I know there are lumbar pillows that people can use with their desk chairs, those might not set off your airbag sensor...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:35 PM

335 posts, read 1,534,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycieM View Post
I just bought a used 2007 Sebring. I don't know why I didn't notice this when I test drove it but on the way home from the car lot I noticed that the seats were uncomfortable! I really like the car. It's good on gas and I like the way it looks. But, if I have to take it any distance my back kills me. We tried putting pillows in various places but then the air bag sensor came on and I was afraid of it deploying!

Is there any other way to solve this problem except for getting rid of it?

Trust me, the next time I go to buy a car I will take it for a longer test drive and check out the seat situation!

Thanks
Joycie
Joycie,

Keep the car for 2-3 months before getting rid of it. It can take a while for your back to adjust to a new car seat. Try putting a towel behind your butt to push it forward a bit. Also, start doing some sit-ups and push-ups to strengthen your back muscles. Take Advil when you drive.

It is almost impossible to know how a car is going to feel like by taking it around for a few short test drives. You never know.

But do relax and try and enjoy the car. This is a new car, and there are new things that will take time to get used to. Your back muscles will have to get used to it too.

Don't get discouraged too quickly.

C.J.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:15 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,939,095 times
I'm guessing that your car is equipped with a tilt steering wheel. Maybe it's the telescoping kind. If so, in either case, try adjusting it so your shoulders aren't hunched forward to reach it. Move the seat forward if necessary. I think that the positioning of your arms makes a world of difference - at least it has for my worn out back.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 AM

134 posts, read 495,535 times
Thanks to all of you! My back and I will hang in there for awhile and I will try the suggestions mentioned. Thanks again and happy driving!

Joycie

Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,075 times
Default back pain

Joycie,

Just wondering if you ever resolved your back pain? I find myself in the same situation, my back is killing me! Been driving the mazda 3 for 2 months now and the pain's just getting worse; have spent $$ on different types of cuhsions....

--CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycieM View Post
Thanks to all of you! My back and I will hang in there for awhile and I will try the suggestions mentioned. Thanks again and happy driving!

Joycie

Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
I feel your pain! Before we ever buy a car...I need to test drive the seats! My back will let me know within minutes...A well placed small pillow or rolled up small towel helps. We have returned rental cars because of this very problem. My husband now waits for me, while open doors and sit in cars to test drive the rental car seats!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Comfort can also vary greatly among different people. I prefer a seat with aggressive side bolsters while others prefer a captains chair.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Comfort can also vary greatly among different people. I prefer a seat with aggressive side bolsters while others prefer a captains chair.
yup I agree I replaced the front seats in my car with cobeau beacuse I hate to slide side to side with terrible factory side bolsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive