Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,494 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I just need to vent here, so bear with me if you'd like.

As you may or may not know, my grandad has been talking about getting a new car ever since this summer. I told him I would help with the research process, and search for possible cars and stuff. I came up with some pretty solid choices (2010 Fusion, Malibu, Mazda6, Altima, Accord, Rav4, Equinox, etc). Since he has had a Camry for the past 3 cars, I thought it would be nice to have something different for a change.

I spent about 3 weeks researching all of this over the summer (not non-stop, but I devoted time every day to make sure I wouldn't get him an unreliable car). I even made a powerpoint presentation stating the pros and cons of each car!

Over the past two weeks, I've been going with him to check out the cars. He was very impressed with the Fusion & Malibu, but they didn't have any in stock. The ONE DAY I don't go with him to the Toyota place to check out the Rav4, the stupid salesman shows him base Camry LE...I'm sure you can guess what happens after that!!

In all honesty, I was hoping to drive his car every now and then, since it would be nice to have a car that's different. For the past 13 years, all of their purchases have been either Toyotas or Lexuses. I know that Toyota makes reliable cars, and they are VERY dependable..but it gets really boring getting the same, midsize offering over and over and over............

I wouldn't have even been as agitated if he got a different color, but he basically got the EXACT same car! I have his old car, a Black 2005 Camry SE, while he has a Black 2010 Camry LE.

I can honestly say I haven't been this upset in a while.

My question for you all: Have you ever gotten the exact same car? What was your rationale behind this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
I can't imagine getting the same car but every time I've had to get a new car to replace the old one, there was no newer version of it being sold, so it made the choice easier for me.

I don't think I'd buy one Camry, much less a second though. Life's too short for boring cars!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:08 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,534 times
We are solid Toyota buyers/owners. We have had three Camrys. I now drive a 2002 Avalon which will have to be pried from my cold dead hands. My husband sold his last Camry to our son, and got a Yaris. He loves it!

The only thing we do is regular oil changes and tires now and then. Somehow nails are attracted to mine. I admit it would have been great for your Grandpa to get a different color. But us older folks are set in our ways. I would rather be boring than sitting on the shoulder of some back road waiting for AAA.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
There is a reason people keep buying camrys and accords. The overall owner experience.Face it'its your grandfther car and what he likes that counts.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:51 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Do yourself a favor and just let him enjoy his car and you enjoy yours.

He bought what he wanted, as he should have.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
Sounds like a pretty silly reason to get upset.
It's his money. He can buy what he wants.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I would rather be boring than sitting on the shoulder of some back road waiting for AAA.
I would love to know how you established this theory. Boring can equate to either unreliable or dependable just as much as the flashy doo-dads can also be either unreliable or dependable.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Sorry, I just need to vent here, so bear with me if you'd like.

As you may or may not know, my grandad has been talking about getting a new car ever since this summer. I told him I would help with the research process, and search for possible cars and stuff. I came up with some pretty solid choices (2010 Fusion, Malibu, Mazda6, Altima, Accord, Rav4, Equinox, etc). Since he has had a Camry for the past 3 cars, I thought it would be nice to have something different for a change.

I spent about 3 weeks researching all of this over the summer (not non-stop, but I devoted time every day to make sure I wouldn't get him an unreliable car). I even made a powerpoint presentation stating the pros and cons of each car!

Over the past two weeks, I've been going with him to check out the cars. He was very impressed with the Fusion & Malibu, but they didn't have any in stock. The ONE DAY I don't go with him to the Toyota place to check out the Rav4, the stupid salesman shows him base Camry LE...I'm sure you can guess what happens after that!!

In all honesty, I was hoping to drive his car every now and then, since it would be nice to have a car that's different. For the past 13 years, all of their purchases have been either Toyotas or Lexuses. I know that Toyota makes reliable cars, and they are VERY dependable..but it gets really boring getting the same, midsize offering over and over and over............

I wouldn't have even been as agitated if he got a different color, but he basically got the EXACT same car! I have his old car, a Black 2005 Camry SE, while he has a Black 2010 Camry LE.

I can honestly say I haven't been this upset in a while.

My question for you all: Have you ever gotten the exact same car? What was your rationale behind this?
My FIL owned Accords for his last 3 cars ( and my MIL's last 2) His '02 recently gave up the ghost and much to my surprise he got a Hyundai Azera. Said he did'nt like the new Accord styling.

He always bought the Accords because of the consistently high marks they got in consumer reports

Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Chicagoland - I am sympathetic with your post! There are SO MANY fine cars on the market today - buying Camrys over and over is just a drag.

I am convinced that so many of the Camrys I see on the road today are the buyer's 2nd, 3rd, or 4th just like your granddads.

The Camry is very solid transportation. But it is a completely unsatisfying vehicle to me.

For the person above that bought a Yaris. That is a terrible car. It is cheap, fuel efficient, and reliable. But its good qualities end there. It has a terrible ride, cheap interior, a noisy engine, and doesn't handle well. It is one of two Toyotas NOT recommended by Consumer Reports because it performed so poorly in its road tests.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Chicagoland - I am sympathetic with your post! There are SO MANY fine cars on the market today - buying Camrys over and over is just a drag.

I am convinced that so many of the Camrys I see on the road today are the buyer's 2nd, 3rd, or 4th just like your granddads.

The Camry is very solid transportation. But it is a completely unsatisfying vehicle to me.

For the person above that bought a Yaris. That is a terrible car. It is cheap, fuel efficient, and reliable. But its good qualities end there. It has a terrible ride, cheap interior, a noisy engine, and doesn't handle well. It is one of two Toyotas NOT recommended by Consumer Reports because it performed so poorly in its road tests.
I do not understand why people think Camry's are boring? The new 4 cylinder model is a joke, and is a boring car. However, the V6 Camry is fast, and I read it handles well. I certainly would not call it boring. I personally am looking for a Camry like the one in the video below. Unfortunately, I never have found one with the V6 and 5 speed manual.

YouTube - MW 1993 Toyota Camry SE 5spd Road Test
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion