Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:25 PM

65 posts, read 200,673 times

Advertisements

I discovered a chip about 0.5" long right in the center of my windshield on my '06 Tacoma. I want to take care of this properly and quickly before the fall turns into winter and the chip propagates into crack. I don't mind paying to have it repaired and sealed as long as it is done right and I don't have to worry about again. But is it worth it to pay to have it done, I know there are kits that are available to do it yourself. So I would like to know if anyone has done the repair themselves? How did it turn out and how is it done properly? It seems that you would want to expel any moisture out of the crack, is this a concern and how is it done if necessary?

Thanks in advance for the help!

~MISC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,955 times
Put a piece of clear tape over it and have it professionally done. I was in the same situation as you were a few years ago but I can't remember exactly why I ruled out DIY kits.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Many insurance policies with comprehensive coverage will cover the full cost of windshield chip repair, no deductible. (They will not, however, fully cover a full-blown crack.) I'd look into this with your insurance company first before trying to DIY. Even if they don't cover it, I'd still look into having it done professionally. It's not that much -- somewhere in the $100 range IIRC.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Depends on the value of your car, how particular you are about the work, how handy you are - in principle you should be able to get a good DIY repair.

If you have full coverage insurance on this car, frequently they will pay for windshield repair since they would be on the hook for replacement if the crack spreads.

Avoid putting your defroster on full hot full blast, I have seen this crack an otherwise undamaged windshield. Buddy of mine in Idaho had a Supra, roughly 82, 83 model, maybe a year or two old at the time. We started out for work, both of us Navy nukes so have had all the materials training, I had commented to him several times about his habit of blasting the windshield with heat, the car had been outside so it was 20F or colder...anyway he says that "it don't matter" or some such, and sure enough the damn thing cracks, big long crack across the bottom 1/4 of the glass...Thermal expansion, thermal shock, etc. etc.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,236,460 times
Sometimes the repair is successful, especially if done by a professional, other times, its not.

My aunt had a 1990 Lexus LS400 that had a rock chip with a small crack. My uncle had a glass repair shop come over to "repair" it. The next morning, it was cracked all the way across!

Yeah, get it taken care of soon... as you know, cracks dont like temperature changes... I had a 1992 Acura Legend that had a small crack across the bottom. One hot day in early March of 2006 or 2007, I had the car parked in a pretty big "bind", which combined with the heat was enough to spread the crack all the way across and naturally up across my line of sight. Normally, the cracks slowly grow, but this thing darted like a bullet. Strange, but two weeks later, out of nowhere my back door glass shattered. I sold the car at a discount to a guy in Alabama. Not sure what ever happened to that car, but I regret selling it.

Some cars have tougher glass it seems. My dad had an 88 Nissan truck that my uncle had accidentally let the windshield wiper (without the blade on it) smack down on the glass in 2000. It put like a "spider looking" crack where it hit.... that crack never did spread to my amazement, even when my dad sold it in 2008, the cracks had not spread. Strange that was.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,428,032 times
Call an auto glass repair place, it's about $30 to have a chip plugged.

Why bother with DIY when it is that inexpensive to have it professionally done?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,270,461 times
Seems like the last time I had to have this done it was in the ~$40 range.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:07 AM

275 posts, read 743,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Call an auto glass repair place, it's about $30 to have a chip plugged.

Why bother with DIY when it is that inexpensive to have it professionally done?

+1

I had one several years ago done by shop, it took 15-20 minutes for them. I paid about mentioned amount, glass is still ok(nock on the wood).

Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
i've had several taken care of over the years (always free. thank you insurance!) and have yet to have it give me an issue later on. let the pros handle this.

Mike

Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 PM

25 posts, read 201,191 times
I used a DIY kit myself (cost less than $10) for a small chip 2 years ago and it hasn't spread yet. A half inch crack is a whole other issue though. I would get a professional out for that. Regardless it will cost a heck of a lot less than having to replace the windshield later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive