Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,115 times

Advertisements

I could use some advice from someone knowledgeable about car repairs.

I have an '06 Accord. The car exterior is Black (NEVER again!!!) and my paint job is starting to look like crap. I do a lot of highway driving so the front end has become peppered with little white nicks and pits in the paint. The wife dragged a laundry bag across the rear deck and scratched it pretty bad, some plates fell on the hood in the garage and today I noticed some of the door trim paint is starting to peel. Bottom line, the paint has a ton of scratches, nicks, pits, minor dings and flaws. I tried getting the car detailed and alls it did was show me where some new scrtatches are. I am not handy or a do-it yourselfer. (Like Dirty Harry said - A man's got to know his limitations )

Does anyone have any advice on getting some light/medium paint repair done? Is there a service or franchise operation anyone can reccomend? Any watch outs I should know about so I don't get ripped off?

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Sound like alot of the panels need new paint. Depending on the other areas condition it may really need a new paint job.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Of you were handy I could suggest lots of things and show in photobucket, but if you are gonna farm this out for hire all I can think of is makoshark painters where they get 200 bucks for shoddy work.

I am sure a lot would buff right out, other stuff like dents need to be pulled a little, like where dishes hit. The white nicks are probably gray a light gray and are primer.

The right way is to sand and feather to steel and promer it back then paint. The cheater way is to fill them with scratch filler mist a little primer on and paint.

Dunno what to say..

Old 02-24-2010, 05:02 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Probably you need a better detailer. Some body shops do this, sometimes a detailer works at a (new car) dealer, some work on their own. If you can find a detailer who does paintless dent repair as well, this would probably be your go-to guy.

Dude. If you are going to drag bags of laundry over your car and drop dishes on it, don't go for black or any dark color.

Your best bet may be just to let the car be ugly.

A cheap paint job will do more damage than the bad detail you got.

At the same time without looking at the car in person, I can't say if it could be buffed out or not. I have tried to buff some out where it really didn't work. Maybe if I were a pro for a few years I could recognize the ones that will not buff out, but so far I can't always predict.

Unhandy people seldom drive a good-looking car. Not to be mean about it, that's just the way it is.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:00 AM

33 posts, read 285,906 times
i agree, a complete overhaul especially on the paint department should be done the most cautious way. as what is said above, a cheap paint job would only do more damage, you wont be satisfied and youll have to do it all over again.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 AM

232 posts, read 632,553 times
You can order a color match paint kit from here

PaintScratch Touch-Up Paint (rs), Spray Cans, Spray Paint, Paint Pens, Car Paint, Automotive Paint

They can put it in rattle cans if you don't have access to paint guns. They have a clear coat that "melts" the clear coat around it to make it a seamless paint repair. If you try it, I'd pick a small out of the way location to try it out first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive