Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM

339 posts, read 696,221 times

Advertisements

I did a search here and did not see this topic, so I'd like to ask about VIN etching Kits. I just bought a new car and in these times we know auto theft rates are very high.

I only heard about VIN etching from researching costs for purchasing a new car and how some dealers try to convince you to purchase this product from them for hundreds of dollars when in fact you can buy a kit online for about 25.00 and DIY.

There theory goes by etching your VIN on your car doors and windows you make your car less attractive to thieves. I don't dispute that may be the case. My questions:

Has anyone ever bought this kit and done this to their car? I checked online at a couple of auto stores and nothing came up in their search boxes on their websites. I have only been able to find it at vinetching(kit) dot com

Does this make your car less attractive at trade-in or private sales time or is it a bonus?

Will this help with your insurance rates?

Thanks for any feed back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 PM

404 posts, read 1,557,194 times
i remember the first time i bought a car and they used this as a selling point. i thought it was weird and if i were a thief and wanted a car, wouldn't care if it had a big red target painted on the side. i'd take it if i wanted it. or find a way

so i would say meh. but what do i know? i don't even know if my new car has it or not

Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
Additional resale value for this security feature - none.

Parts value ... it does make the glass harder to resell, but that's about it. The body panels ... some already have holographic decals and/or stampings with the VIN on them, and it doesn't stop a thief if they wanted it, nor is it usually a concern to the recipient after their car gets banged up and the shady body shop put on the said "new" part that's been repainted over already.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Um, that's interesting.

You don't mention a vehicle in your case, short of a crook having the eexact key pattern and the right chipped encoder, my F150 *probably* ain't going anywhere. Then again, it is an XL with manual windows and locks. Nobody wants that, anyway.

If someone wanted my truck that badly, anyway, a few numbers scribbled all over won't matter.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Etching is a solution looking for a problems to solve and suckers to take money from.

If a thief wants your car it's gone!

save yer money.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM

747 posts, read 2,759,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
There theory goes by etching your VIN on your car doors and windows you make your car less attractive to thieves. I don't dispute that may be the case.
I think you should question that premise.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 10,469 times
How about this: Every Police Precinct in NYC does it for free and insurance companies will give you a discount anywhere from 3%-15% depending on company. Sometimes community centers, car clubs, schools, churchs and so on have a day where the cops send someone and they do anyone's car that shows up. Once again for free or a donation to the school, church or whatever.

Whether or not it will actually deter someone fro stealing your car is left to individual cases and is unknown. It might have worked you will never know since if it did deter a potential thief then your car was not stolen and you would have not known if it worked.

The main point is that it will save you money on your insurance every year that you own the car and have it insured.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:02 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
In most cases, those stealing cars do it for joy rides or getting from one point to another. Unless you have a vehicle that is in high demand by for parts, which usually go outside the country anyways, why waste your money

Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
The most stolen cars are older cars, and they are stolen for parts, so things like etched VINs are easily covered up. Not worth the effort imo.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 10,469 times
How is getting it done for FREE and getting a discount on your insurance not worth the effort?

That discount on your insurance is there every year until you no longer have that car insured. Lets say it a 5% discount, like in my case, that's $16 for each car ($32 total) in my pocket. Lets say I own the car for a couple years after I pay it off for a total of 7 years. That's a total of $224 in my pocket for 30 minutes of my time. Seems worth it to me.

I have a total of $187 of discounts on my insurance policy and when my wife gets her defensive driving course it will be another $87 for a grand total of $274/year. For the 7 years I have the cars that's $1918. I guess that's not worth it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive