Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:21 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,556 times

Advertisements

I plan to buy a (used) Ford Excursion...

I felt sad when I learned that Ford discontinued its production.

It was the biggest SUV ever built,the paramount of the American dream...

I want to find out if Ford or any aftermarket producer makes seats suitable to the Excursion which incorporate side/head airbags,because the car is not equipped with its own side/head airbags...

If such a product exists,then the 4 captain's seats can be replaced by those special seats with airbags & modernise the Ex in terms of safety...

Let us also read your impressions from that King of SUVs & proposals for improvement...

Any producer of aftermarket independent suspension package..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
I plan to buy a (used) Ford Excursion...

I felt sad when I learned that Ford discontinued its production.

I want to find out if Ford or any aftermarket producer makes seats suitable to the Excursion which incorporate side/head airbags,because the car is not equipped with its own side/head airbags...

If such a product exists,then the 4 captain's seats can be replaced by those special seats with airbags & modernise the Ex in terms of safety...

Let us also read your impressions from that King of SUVs & proposals for improvement...

Any producer of aftermarket independent suspension package..?
tons the excursion and F250 and F350 super duty share the same drive train try Ford Excursion Lift Kits or any off road shop will have supenson lifts and parts. also what model do you want a gas or diesel make sure to stay away form the later problem prone 6.0 powerstroke and go with the more reliable 99-03 7.3 liter powerstoke diesel also the standard gas 5.4 modular V-8 is gutless in a truck that large I would look into the 6.8 liter modular V-10 if you want a gasser...

If I were buying one I would get the 99-03 4x4 with the 7.3 power stroke get it tuned and chipped for more horse power, torque and MPG's get a 3" lift and put on a nice set of 33" A/T tires

Last edited by GTOlover; 04-12-2010 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 08:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Don't even bother with upgrading seats with air bags. Way too costly to even think about, if you could even find someone to do it. When it comes to air bags, if it didn't come from the factory (and you aren't talking about a suspension), it isn't going to get added.

The only thing I would recommend is buying the diesel. The father of one of my friends had a diesel Excursion and it was a seriously pimp ride. It was pretty much like riding in a limo and the diesel even got ~22mpg cruising on the highway at 75 or so. He eventually upgraded the exhaust and chipped it and it was a seriously powerful cruiser and was getting up around 25mpg after the mods.

You seem to be concerned with safety. You need to realize that short of a roll over accident you would most likely crush anything that got in your way. The Excursion was the vehicle that pioneered the front safety bar, which prevented smaller vehicles from being run over by the Excursion in an accident.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the info,u r enthusiasts & know the subject.

About seats with airbags,I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Definitely,it is impossible to install airbags in the car structure,but perhaps a seat,as a package,is something achievable...

About suspension,is there anyone offering...independent suspension,not the leaf type which kicks like a mule...Coils & absorbers...
Maybe the ind of the new Expedition XL can fit,somehow, with mods...

We talk about the decadence of American car industry.
When we shoot ourselves in the foot,trying to imitate euro shoeboxes & we kill Excursions & Hummers,we play the enemy's game...

Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
True it was the biggest. But the paramount of the American dream? I don't think so. If it was - more people would have bought it. And you would be able to buy a new one today.

Driving an Excursion would be my nightmare, not a dream.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
True it was the biggest. But the paramount of the American dream? I don't think so. If it was - more people would have bought it. And you would be able to buy a new one today.

Driving an Excursion would be my nightmare, not a dream.
I have to agree with you there. Certainly not my dream. I certainly wouldn't mind having one around when the need arose as I'd much rather drive that than a van (mini or not), but I could never see myself buying one for daily use.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info,u r enthusiasts & know the subject.

About seats with airbags,I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Definitely,it is impossible to install airbags in the car structure,but perhaps a seat,as a package,is something achievable...

About suspension,is there anyone offering...independent suspension,not the leaf type which kicks like a mule...Coils & absorbers...
Maybe the ind of the new Expedition XL can fit,somehow, with mods...

We talk about the decadence of American car industry.
When we shoot ourselves in the foot,trying to imitate euro shoeboxes & we kill Excursions & Hummers,we play the enemy's game...
umm no why would you get rid of the solid ford 10.50" rear axle that can take some serious abuse and of course it will ride stiff because it a full size heavy duty truck my question is are going to be doing alot of towing because that's what it was made to do haul is 7 people all their stuff and tow a huge boat or tralier. I get this feeling you are trolling though

Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
Get a 4 link with coilovers setup for the front and it will outperform and outride any IFS system.

If you want excursion size, and more reliability, you can buy a tahoe with a blown up engine and swap in a duramax, it's easy...

Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Any recently made larger vehicle is made safe enough without a ton of airbags. Obviously this vehicle weighs more than just about any other personal use vehicle and will be at a higher level too.

I'd be really catious adding a bunch of extra features to this vehicle. I do not feel this vehicle value is strong and all the extra addons will result in a very little return if you need to sell it or god forbid it gets totaled. Insurance companies do not care about most aftermarket addons and will give you alot less than you paid for it. You will need to get an endorsement on your auto insurance policy so you don't get screwed on the value of any expensive add-ons.

You are better off with a Tahoe Or Yukon, they are popular and retain value much better. The only bad thing about them is, people steal the 3rd row seating because they are so expensive to replace.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM

An Excursion with an aftermarket ind suspension,would lose some towing capability but offer a smoother ride,like the new Expedition XL...
U may be right about values,but cars like that are for enthusiasts & hold more sentimental value than monetary...Like my other favourite,the Cadillac Eldorado convertible,pre 1978,the longest conv ( after the Rolls Royce )
The Excursion was discontinued for save face purposes..Its unit was profitable,even by a thin margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln