Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times

Advertisements

Had to buy a timing cover for my Dart block so I ordered one from Summit Racing and when I opened the box it said made in China. Ford does not make this part any longer so I am stuck with made in China crap. If I wanted China crap I would have bought a GM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
When we can manufacture at anywhere close to a competitive price, we'll get back into it as a country. People complain all the time about things not being made in America, but yet few are or would be willing to pay the price.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
maybe it's a new thing?? I recently ordered and intake manifold and timing cover for a SBC and it has a big "MADE IN THE USA" emblem right on it, and my timing cover just has "edelbrock corporation, torrance california" unless they are hiding where it was really made

Old 12-23-2010, 05:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,333,016 times
hmm guess you could pick up older used eldelbrock performance parts from the 70's and 80's depending on what part it is.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,787,024 times
You might want to double check to make sure it's an actual Edelbrock part and not a cloned knock off.

I personally saw a video where Horse Power TV did a walk thru of the Edelbrock plant where they were making the heads, intakes, etc. Vic Jr. himself said "yes we could send our biz to China and make more but I'm not about to do that."

Plus China has been making knock off's of everything for some time now.

You know the AC Delco oil filters? Some of them are now made in China, yet are sold right next to the ones still made in the U.S. The China filters are known to disintegrate and allow filter particle to make it's way throughout the engine.

Walbro fuel pumps are yet another example. There are still some built in the U.S. and China also makes them. The ones built in China are known to bypass fuel inside the pump causing fuel psi drop off. The end result is a failed pump and in some cases, catastrophic engine damage.

I have a hunch China is building inferior copies of this stuff w/o the original manufacturers consent.

p.s. I agree I hate Chinese products though it seems there's more of them than anything.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
When we can manufacture at anywhere close to a competitive price, we'll get back into it as a country. People complain all the time about things not being made in America, but yet few are or would be willing to pay the price.
When I worked in GM parts we were selling Chinese parts for the same price as American made parts. Manufacturers don't manufacture in China because they can sell them cheaper.

When people go to Wall-mart to buy a shirt and it says made in China they expect it to be cheaper. When people came to our counter to buy GM parts they expected to buy American made not Chinese made for American prices

Old 12-24-2010, 01:46 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When I worked in GM parts we were selling Chinese parts for the same price as American made parts. Manufacturers don't manufacture in China because they can sell them cheaper.

When people go to Wall-mart to buy a shirt and it says made in China they expect it to be cheaper. When people came to our counter to buy GM parts they expected to buy American made not Chinese made for American prices
Corporatism at it's finest. Lower quality items, same price, big business laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:49 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
Quote:
Had to buy a timing cover for my Dart block so I ordered one from Summit Racing and when I opened the box it said made in China. Ford does not make this part any longer so I am stuck with made in China crap. If I wanted China crap I would have bought a GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
You might want to double check to make sure it's an actual Edelbrock part and not a cloned knock off.
Quote:
YOu obviously ignored Deez Nutz comment. You probably got sold a knock off, not an actual Edelbrock part.

Read this:

Executive Interview with Vic Edelbrock Jr., President and CEO of the Edelbrock Corp.: aftermarket News

"Our big thing here is “Made in the USA.” We’ve been doing this ever since other manufacturers started going to China. We had people pick our top 10 products and go out and copy them but they couldn’t put the name on it. We really worked hard getting our name to where it stands today and we think it’s right at the top. We’ve really pushed this “Made in the USA.” I was just at Keystone’s show in Meadowlands, N.J., and I couldn’t believe the amount of people who came up to me and said “Thank you for being ‘Made in the USA’.” I’ve had people come up to me with tears in their eyes.

I think it comes down to whether you are making generic parts or you have a name. When you are making generic parts you are just another fish in the pond. You have to go where it’s the cheapest, but you still have to have quality. When you have your name on it, and it’s your brand name, it’s you. Nobody else can do that, and I think it’s important to make every effort you can to stay in the USA.

Part of our mission to stay “Made in the USA” was the expansion of our permanent mold foundry. When you look at the economy it was probably expanded at the wrong time, but nobody knew that was going to happen. But we did it because of competition from overseas. Their foundries are all permanent mold over there because of the weather conditions and with the green sand mold they get a lot of moisture in it and that causes a poor casting. China has problems with that anyway, when it comes to aluminum product. We make product for an outside customer called New York Brake, which makes the brake systems for the subway and the railroad cars, and they switched over in the last four or five years from cast iron to aluminum. They have a cast iron foundry in China, where they tried aluminum and ended up pulling all the aluminum work back to the U.S. and now we do the work for them.

We expanded the foundry because of that. We also put in a $150 million heat treat system here in Southern California. The only businesses here that were heat treaters were ones that have been around for many many years. In fact, one company we used did my father’s heat treating business back in the late ’50s and ’60s. Obviously, it wasn’t the most modern efficient equipment and you don’t know when someone is going to come in and tell you that you can’t do that anymore. So, we decided to put the heat treat facility in with the permanent mold foundry and we are now completely self-contained, which is very important to us. And, again, it’s “Made in the USA.” Taking that step with the foundry was really our opportunity to make our pledge to America, and instead of going to China, keeping it here."

So, PDD, you might want to check before going off half-cocked.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
YOu obviously ignored Deez Nutz comment. You probably got sold a knock off, not an actual Edelbrock part.

Read this:

Executive Interview with Vic Edelbrock Jr., President and CEO of the Edelbrock Corp.: aftermarket News

"Our big thing here is “Made in the USA.” We’ve been doing this ever since other manufacturers started going to China. We had people pick our top 10 products and go out and copy them but they couldn’t put the name on it. We really worked hard getting our name to where it stands today and we think it’s right at the top. We’ve really pushed this “Made in the USA.” I was just at Keystone’s show in Meadowlands, N.J., and I couldn’t believe the amount of people who came up to me and said “Thank you for being ‘Made in the USA’.” I’ve had people come up to me with tears in their eyes.

I think it comes down to whether you are making generic parts or you have a name. When you are making generic parts you are just another fish in the pond. You have to go where it’s the cheapest, but you still have to have quality. When you have your name on it, and it’s your brand name, it’s you. Nobody else can do that, and I think it’s important to make every effort you can to stay in the USA.

Part of our mission to stay “Made in the USA” was the expansion of our permanent mold foundry. When you look at the economy it was probably expanded at the wrong time, but nobody knew that was going to happen. But we did it because of competition from overseas. Their foundries are all permanent mold over there because of the weather conditions and with the green sand mold they get a lot of moisture in it and that causes a poor casting. China has problems with that anyway, when it comes to aluminum product. We make product for an outside customer called New York Brake, which makes the brake systems for the subway and the railroad cars, and they switched over in the last four or five years from cast iron to aluminum. They have a cast iron foundry in China, where they tried aluminum and ended up pulling all the aluminum work back to the U.S. and now we do the work for them.

We expanded the foundry because of that. We also put in a $150 million heat treat system here in Southern California. The only businesses here that were heat treaters were ones that have been around for many many years. In fact, one company we used did my father’s heat treating business back in the late ’50s and ’60s. Obviously, it wasn’t the most modern efficient equipment and you don’t know when someone is going to come in and tell you that you can’t do that anymore. So, we decided to put the heat treat facility in with the permanent mold foundry and we are now completely self-contained, which is very important to us. And, again, it’s “Made in the USA.” Taking that step with the foundry was really our opportunity to make our pledge to America, and instead of going to China, keeping it here."

So, PDD, you might want to check before going off half-cocked.
Check what?
It came in a Box with an Edelbrock label glued over another label that said Pioneer auto.

I looked up Pioneer and it is a company in Mississippi and they list the part I got in their catalog.

How is that coming off half-cocked?

Obviously Edelbrock is buying some items imported from China and slapping their labels on and hoping buyers won't notice.

I am not complaining about the quality of the product or even the price but I am against American manufacturers shipping work to China for cheap labor. And also importing and re labeling.

Of course Vic Edelbrock Jr. would never do that.

This is one of the reasons we have 10%+ unemployment here.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:55 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
Did you BUY it from the Edelbrock store or factory directly? No, no one else might get in the middle of that and put a substandard part i there and ssell it to you. MUST be the factory lying about where they get stuff from.

Fine. You know what? Believe what you want. It's what you're best at. You learned everything your brain could possibly absorb years ago, and that's as far as your ability goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive