Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:55 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Thanks Red_John. That 2011 data is interesting because that was when the recession was just ending for much of the country.

Anyhow, based on that...

2011 Largest Origin and Destination Travel from the United States to London, Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong:

London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong:

New York:
01. London: 2,451,521
03. Paris: 1,081,194
12. Tokyo: 446,866
16. Hong Kong: 371,878

Los Angeles:
02. London: 712,978
04. Tokyo: 596,086
10. Paris: 372,543
14. Hong Kong: 290,378

San Francisco:
01. London: 542,441
02. Hong Kong: 344,402
03. Tokyo: 344,291
09. Paris: 242,915

Chicago:
02. London: 377,523
06. Tokyo: 211,731
08. Paris: 174,785

Boston:
01. London: 512,648
03. Paris: 212,512

Miami:
06. London: 476,010
16. Paris: 246,710

Washington DC:
01. London: 470,132
02. Paris: 218,544

Atlanta:
02. London: 185,587

Dallas:
03. London: 132,512

Denver:
02. London: 121,891

Detroit:
02. London: 104,398

Honolulu:
01. Tokyo: 1,443,187

Houston:
02. London: 227,883

Las Vegas:
02. London: 452,610

Orlando:
01. London: 688,630

Philadelphia:

02. London: 152,350

Tampa:
02. London: 137,387
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 10:34 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Philly's international arrivals/departures are very obviously skewed due to the proximity of NY and DC airports. I don't think the numbers above are indicative of Philly not having much of an international cache. Even Many in Boston (inc myself) will head to JFK for flights if the price and time make sense.
But see the breakout just to London and Paris on next page. You would think it would be higher for London in Philly and there would be a number > 100K for Paris. DC, Boston, and Miami only have numbers for London/Paris and they are quite high for each, whereas Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Philly have only numbers for London, and in Philly's case, there is a low O&D for London. The driving distance from Philly to Newark is 86 miles. That's 86 miles through NJ, barring any traffic, that's well over an hour, easily 2 with traffic. <1 on the Acela, but then there are transfers, etc. Business travelers aren't putting up with that to fly to London. Maybe some families would, but Philly's airport is one of the more convenient ones relative to its metro/city (7 miles from CC and connected by commuter rail).

I think it's pretty clear there just isn't that much international traffic originating out of Philadelphia. For international tourism it is in the same league as Atlanta/Dallas/Houston, and the O&D numbers point to that. I think it's pretty clear that despite growth markets (which are everywhere), there still aren't big or even normal sized Asian numbers for Miami, or most of the E Coast.

You can look at these O&D numbers that Montclair just picked out (the 4 big cities in Europe/Asia) and discern demographics of the metros and general international travel. It makes sense that SF and New York lead the Hong Kong numbers. Cantonese people largely live between these two cities, these two cities have the largest Chinatowns. It still makes sense that SF has > numbers for Paris/London than Chicago despite being on the W Coast and being smaller because SF has far greater international tourism and the UK is the #1 origination for tourism in SF, if I recall.

Look at the London figures for Orlando. Huge. And no Paris. There is already Disney in Paris - goes to show those Brits want the original anyway.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:37 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Also another update, Vancouver recently got the A380 too.

Chicago is another North American city that is about to get it:

Mexico City, another major North American city, also has A380 to service the first of its destinations (recent development):

So now the list of North American cities should include (these already have it): New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, Houston, San Francisco Bay Area, Toronto, Vancouver, Atlanta, Mexico City, and Washington DC.

Both Chicago and Boston are affirmed to get A380s in the near future. Seattle and Montreal remain hot on the radar of airlines that want to add A380s to each city's premier airport.

Basically with the additions of Boston, Chicago, Montreal, (and hopefully) Seattle all the major population centers of North America will be serviced by A380s soon. That is in addition to the already existing service in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, Houston, San Francisco Bay Area, Toronto, Vancouver, Atlanta, Mexico City, and Washington DC.
Interesting. But there's still a couple population centers left out like Philly, Detroit, and Phoenix.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
But see the breakout just to London and Paris on next page. You would think it would be higher for London in Philly and there would be a number > 100K for Paris. DC, Boston, and Miami only have numbers for London/Paris and they are quite high for each, whereas Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Philly have only numbers for London, and in Philly's case, there is a low O&D for London. The driving distance from Philly to Newark is 86 miles. That's 86 miles through NJ, barring any traffic, that's well over an hour, easily 2 with traffic. <1 on the Acela, but then there are transfers, etc. Business travelers aren't putting up with that to fly to London. Maybe some families would, but Philly's airport is one of the more convenient ones relative to its metro/city (7 miles from CC and connected by commuter rail).

I think it's pretty clear there just isn't that much international traffic originating out of Philadelphia. For international tourism it is in the same league as Atlanta/Dallas/Houston, and the O&D numbers point to that. I think it's pretty clear that despite growth markets (which are everywhere), there still aren't big or even normal sized Asian numbers for Miami, or most of the E Coast.

You can look at these O&D numbers that Montclair just picked out (the 4 big cities in Europe/Asia) and discern demographics of the metros and general international travel. It makes sense that SF and New York lead the Hong Kong numbers. Cantonese people largely live between these two cities, these two cities have the largest Chinatowns. It still makes sense that SF has > numbers for Paris/London than Chicago despite being on the W Coast and being smaller because SF has far greater international tourism and the UK is the #1 origination for tourism in SF, if I recall.

Look at the London figures for Orlando. Huge. And no Paris. There is already Disney in Paris - goes to show those Brits want the original anyway.

actually depending on where you live in the Philly area that is not true; its hard to quatify but there is a ton of Int'l traffic that goes through NYC airports from Philly. I think the numbers are skewed. Also remember for business travel car service is covered many times as well. Bucks county to EWR is like 70 minutes while PHL is 50 minutes. Traffic on the NJ Turnpike almost always moves - the bottlenecks are almost solely limited to holiday weekends. Average speed is probably around 75/80 as someone who is on it a few times a wekk and at rush hour. NYC has such a large scale and direct flights it many times is preffered.

Even from say points west along the PA turnpike the car travel time i not that much longer to EWR as opposed to the Schuylkill expressway which can god awful

I was in LA last week and it took me longer to get from LAX to Anaheim Hills than it does for me from CC Philly to EWR (albeit slightly longer in miles)

for asian flights everyone I deal with goes through NYC airports as its not that bad and my company pays the car service and buiness class on the directs to boot.

I wish there were more directs Internationally from PHL but NYC airports are a very viable option

Just googled Newtown PA to EWR and is 1 hr 11 minutes door to door (PHL is showing 49 minutes)

Marlton NJ (You can the Philly skyline from there well) is 1 hr 10 minutes (PHL showing 32 minutes)

My Zip just outside CC is 1 hr 16 minutes right now (PHL is significantly closer at 28 minutes) but as you would know BART to DT SF/SFO can be 40+ minutes actually not tremedously quicker than the current drie time to EWR (JFK is not as easy to get to but has the most options and constant van and car service) Drive down the NJ Turnpike sometime and look at all the van services heading back and forth. Philly could be better but doe have good Europe service but is cheaper than the NYC options generally. I recently took Alitalia as opposed to US Air (now AA) from PHL as the cot was significantly better to Rome direct.

I think you are overplaying the distance and cost/benefit given all the direct options

Heck I know people that will drive to BWI for cheap SW rates which is like 80-90 minutes

alo the commuter rail connection while there sucks, runs only every 30 minutes and can take well over an hour for me. I either drive or cab/uber to the airport sadly

Old 11-15-2015, 11:16 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
I too grew up flying out of Newark and not PHL. Philly airport is already past capacity and is responsible for up to 8% of all delays in this country due to congestion issues. Which is why it is under a 12 year, $7B renovation.. Also the A380 is a failure. Airbus hasn't had an order for one of them all year as of Oct. 30th. Their newer more lightweight efficient A350 model and Boeing's 787 are killing the A380 and its four engines.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 11-15-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-15-2015, 11:24 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
actually depending on where you live in the Philly area that is not true; its hard to quatify but there is a ton of Int'l traffic that goes through NYC airports from Philly. I think the numbers are skewed. Also remember for business travel car service is covered many times as well. Bucks county to EWR is like 70 minutes while PHL is 50 minutes. Traffic on the NJ Turnpike almost always moves - the bottlenecks are almost solely limited to holiday weekends. Average speed is probably around 75/80 as someone who is on it a few times a wekk and at rush hour. NYC has such a large scale and direct flights it many times is preffered.

Even from say points west along the PA turnpike the car travel time i not that much longer to EWR as opposed to the Schuylkill expressway which can god awful

I was in LA last week and it took me longer to get from LAX to Anaheim Hills than it does for me from CC Philly to EWR (albeit slightly longer in miles)

for asian flights everyone I deal with goes through NYC airports as its not that bad and my company pays the car service and buiness class on the directs to boot.

I wish there were more directs Internationally from PHL but NYC airports are a very viable option

Just googled Newtown PA to EWR and is 1 hr 11 minutes door to door (PHL is showing 49 minutes)

Marlton NJ (You can the Philly skyline from there well) is 1 hr 10 minutes (PHL showing 32 minutes)

My Zip just outside CC is 1 hr 16 minutes right now (PHL is significantly closer at 28 minutes) but as you would know BART to DT SF/SFO can be 40+ minutes actually not tremedously quicker than the current drie time to EWR (JFK is not as easy to get to but has the most options and constant van and car service) Drive down the NJ Turnpike sometime and look at all the van services heading back and forth. Philly could be better but doe have good Europe service but is cheaper than the NYC options generally. I recently took Alitalia as opposed to US Air (now AA) from PHL as the cot was significantly better to Rome direct.

I think you are overplaying the distance and cost/benefit given all the direct options

Heck I know people that will drive to BWI for cheap SW rates which is like 80-90 minutes

alo the commuter rail connection while there sucks, runs only every 30 minutes and can take well over an hour for me. I either drive or cab/uber to the airport sadly
Sorry but I'm calling BS on the highlighted, just a quick search on Google maps disproves this, by both mileage and time.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Sorry but I'm calling BS on the highlighted, just a quick search on Google maps disproves this, by both mileage and time.

well the hour spent on the 405 was real but probably could have found a faster route, probably should have gone out to 91 or 90 or wahtever that route that parallels the 5 towards the IE

its absolutely closer mileage wize my point is on the time it took; not saying always does but also CC to EWR is much faster than people seem to think

Old 11-15-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
well the hour spent on the 405 was real but probably could have found a faster route, probably should have gone out to 91 or 90 or wahtever that route that parallels the 5 towards the IE

its absolutely closer mileage wize my point is on the time it took; not saying always does but also CC to EWR is much faster than people seem to think
Well google maps says otherwise for both time and mileage, literally a 40 mile difference and 40 minutes longer as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Largest Air O&D Markets in the US (local traffic only, no connections)-screenshot-2015-11-15-11.02.56-am.png   Largest Air O&D Markets in the US (local traffic only, no connections)-screenshot-2015-11-15-11.00.57-am.png  

Last edited by Calisonn; 11-15-2015 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-15-2015, 12:03 PM

and right now on a Sunday LAX to Anaheim hills is 59 minutes (basically no traffic)

EWR to 19147 is 1 hr 14 minutes and that is sort of the point its not as far people might think

for additional perspective Berkely to SFO is 48 mins right now - the differenc is 26 minutes from long to short on these, again my point is NYC airports, esp EWR is not a far as people are suggesting here

heck look at riverside to LAX right now is a longer drive time than CC Philly to EWR at 1 hr 17 minutes

just looked at thousand oaks as I do that ofetn to Amgen and shows 50 minutes right now which I can confidently say is quicker than I have made it with the excpetion of catching 6AM flight from LAX; generally it closer 1:15 or so even with backj roads to avoid the 405 and 101 via Malibu and Malibu canyon rd etc.

I am not sayinf its closer what I am saying is it not as far (especially travel time wise) as people are suggesting. Getting a flight from EWR is much easeier thn mot realize here and because of thi it does factor for Int'l options

Old 11-15-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
and right now on a Sunday LAX to Anaheim hills is 59 minutes (basically no traffic)

EWR to 19147 is 1 hr 14 minutes and that is sort of the point its not as far people might think

for additional perspective Berkely to SFO is 48 mins right now - the differenc is 26 minutes from long to short on these, again my point is NYC airports, esp EWR is not a far as people are suggesting here

heck look at riverside to LAX right now is a longer drive time than CC Philly to EWR at 1 hr 17 minutes

just looked at thousand oaks as I do that ofetn to Amgen and shows 50 minutes right now which I can confidently say is quicker than I have made it with the excpetion of catching 6AM flight from LAX; generally it closer 1:15 or so even with backj roads to avoid the 405 and 101 via Malibu and Malibu canyon rd etc.

I am not sayinf its closer what I am saying is it not as far (especially travel time wise) as people are suggesting. Getting a flight from EWR is much easeier thn mot realize here and because of thi it does factor for Int'l options
Sorry kidphilly you said EWR-CC was quicker than LAX-Anaheim hills, that's clearly not the case by any measure with the exception of getting caught in an accident traffic jam, no need to try to move goal posts all of a sudden.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation