Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:12 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

Decades ago there was a rumor in N NJ that an airport was to be built in the Great NJ Great Swamp Wilderness in Western N. NJ. It is open enough to allow a DFW size airport to be built and is not too far from NYC< maybe 60 miles which with high speed rail would be accessible. I suppose the swampy nature might be an issue.

As one who avoids Atlanta as a connection point, I find it not an easy or customer friendly place to in and out. I know airlines think passengers dont matter much but we do pay some of the bills and when we have choices can vote with our wallet.

I doubt Atlanta will pass NYC airport system any time soon if at all. The growth in Atlanta seems to have slowed as well as in much of the SE. Perhaps it is temporary but we shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I doubt Atlanta will pass NYC airport system any time soon if at all. The growth in Atlanta seems to have slowed as well as in much of the SE. Perhaps it is temporary but we shall see.
As the OP, I think that you are probably correct. With New York carrying 3 times the international passenger level of ATL, that fact alone requires a huge feeder system domestically.

But I was speculating on the possible effects of weather given a historic accident. Plus the geographic size of La Guardia and Newark may come into play at some point.

In general the passenger load of the largest airports seems to be increasing at the expense of the medium and smaller airports.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-25-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Decades ago there was a rumor in N NJ that an airport was to be built in the Great NJ Great Swamp Wilderness in Western N. NJ. It is open enough to allow a DFW size airport to be built and is not too far from NYC< maybe 60 miles which with high speed rail would be accessible. I suppose the swampy nature might be an issue.
I don't think people realize how difficult it is to do these projects. Japan decided to build a second Tokyo airport in 1962, just a few years before the first high speed rail project was built. The location they selected was 36 miles from downtown. The airport opening in 1978 was delayed because massive protests and destruction of airport equipment (all from a very peaceful country).Plans of a high speed rail to the airport were abandoned completely a decade after the airport opened. Finally some 13 years after the airport opened a nonstop train that could cover the distance in roughly 1 hour began service.

Given the massive costs and the civil riots, Japan has sworn never to attempt to build such an airport again. True to their word, all major airports have been built over water with connecting trains and roads on mostly or all landfill.

Given the massive difficulties of long range distances to airports in Tokyo which is the most rail-intensive metropolis in the world, it amazes me that planners think such an airport is possible in the USA, where most adults have been on a train only a few times in their lives.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:32 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Great point Paco. Reminds me of building a new refinery in the US. Isnt going to happen! Thankfully in the refinery case, there are safe ways to increase the capacity of an existing refinery over time. Which is a cheaper, faster, better way to refine more products. I am not sure the airports have that flexibility as building a new run way gets fought much more than the subtle steps to expand a refinery

Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Great point Paco.
Thank you. I've been hearing about these mega airports with high speed rail connecting several nearby urban areas for a long time, but reality is in the entire world I think Narita at 37 miles from downtown is the world champion. In the USA, if you list top airports

I am sure that every airport on this list has a plan somewhere to add rail to the airport, but only a little more than half of them do. And some of the rail connections (like LAX and JFK) are far from seamless connections which often involve long walks, limited routing or a transfer bus.

ATL Heavy Rail
ORD Commuter and Heavy Rail
LAX Light Rail
DFW Commuter Rail
DEN
JFK Heavy Rail
SFO Heavy Rail
CLT
LAS
PHX
IAH
MIA Commuter Rail
MCO
EWR Intercity and Commuter
SEA
MSP Light Rail
DTW
PHL Commuter Rail
BOS Heavy Rail
LGA
FLL Commuter Rail
BWI Intercity, Commuter & Light Rail
IAD
SLC
DCA Heavy Rail
MDW Heavy Rail
HNL
SAN
TPA
PDX Light Rail
STL Light Rail
HOU
OAK Intercity and Heavy Rail

Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 8,716 times
It depends. At JFK, jetblue, delta, and american are adding flights. Also, LGA gets 260 daily flights, still growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation