Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 08:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

I was kayaking across a lake in Northern Minnesota the other day when a seaplane landed. He flew right over me, probably just 50-75 feet above the water and then touched down a short distance later. I've always enjoyed watching aircraft land but it occurred to me I've never seen a seaplane land on the water. And of course, I had a great seat for the event, too. I thought it was pretty cool.

I searched google and the picture in this link is pretty similar to the plane I saw land:

http://www.aopa.org/-/media/Images/A...29seaplane.jpg

Maybe those of you who have made landings on water will be kind enough to share a few stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Before they went out of business after a tragic crash in 2005 I used to fly Chalks Ocean Airways once in a while. I have fun memories flying them when I was a kid especially flying in and out of the Port of Miami out of the Miami Seaplane Base (X44) Landing and taking off right next to the cruise ships and flying in between the buildings of downtown Miami. Also landing in the Port of Nassau Bahamas and going up the ramp in Paradise Island. I also flew them before to Bimini. My last flight had a water and land landing as the planes were not 'seaplanes' as they were really flying boats. Flew them from Fort Lauderdale Airport to Paradise Island and back. They had hulls shaped like boats but also wheels so they could land on sea and water. I think the best part of the flight besides for takeoff was going up the ramp from the water to land.

Paradise Island Ocean Landing - YouTube

Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times
I've worked on a few floatplanes when we lived in AZ. I still kick myself for not taking my checkride after completing everything needed.
I put a friend's C-150 on floats and I remember the unsuccessful test flight with 2 of us onboard. With 1/2 fuel and no wind, we could not get that plane fast enough to get the floats 'on the step'. We did figure 8's for a half an hour to no avail. He was able to take-off with just himself, but was planning to use the plane for training and check rides. So he found a used Lycoming O-320 (150 hp) and bought the kit and paperwork(STC) to legally replace the tired 100hp Continental. The airplane was now a rocketship, able to get off the water with full tanks, +2 people, using only 3/4 throttle. I loved flying across the water at 5 feet or speed taxiing when the conditions were right. One time we flew across the lake (2 minutes) to a little resort, pulled the plane up to the beach, tied it off, and had lunch. Every once in a while, I had to fly on a weekend, and you had to be careful about boats and jet skis. For some reason they like to get as close as they can when you're taking off or landing, even zipping in front of you. Landing was a little different because you came in a little fast and flat, then as soon as you feel the water you have to keep back pressure on the yoke to keep the nose up. It was great fun, but hard on the equipment.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
......Maybe those of you who have made landings on water will be kind enough to share a few stories?
Float planes are wonderful aircraft. Dave Quam, one of the people who started the US Seaplane Pilots Association was a neighbor and taught me my first eleven hour of flying in his float plane (Cessan 172 on floats -- kept it either at Wickem Lake by Warwick Airport or Greenwood Lake NY).

Dave and I once took a flight in mid-Sept from Warwick NY, up to Twitchell Seaplane Base CT for fuel, on to Portland Maine for fuel and to go to LL Beane's, then on to Moosehead Lake Maine where we stayed overnight at a bush pilots home (Dick Folsom's place).

The next day we flew from Moosehead to Lake Champlain to visit a friend of Dave's. Weather was lousy. Great horizontal visibility but a ceiling around 1,200.' Dave had a Loran (I'm dating myself here!) so we knew where we were going. After the visit we then followed the Hudson River back to Warwick NY.

Quite a ride.

Rich
Commercial Single Engine Land and Rotary Wing, Pvt Floatplane

Old 08-08-2013, 09:26 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Thanks for the stories, guys. I'm surprised to learn those planes have only 150 hp. I would have expected more. I guess they are not very heavy. And RichcapCod, you are not dating yourself. I don't really know anything about small aircraft, so I have no clue what a Loran is.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Thanks for the stories, guys. I'm surprised to learn those planes have only 150 hp. I would have expected more. I guess they are not very heavy. And RichcapCod, you are not dating yourself. I don't really know anything about small aircraft, so I have no clue what a Loran is.
The aircraft in your picture is a Cessna 206. I believe the hp is more like 310 and can carry 6, as long as they aren't all big. A Cessna 150 is a small 2-place trainer, that was manufactured with a 100hp, 200 cubic inch, 4-cyl.
A loran refers to a navigation radio that uses surface based transmitters to fix positions. It was used by the marine industry for years before use in aircraft. Now most aircraft use GPS in some form or another. I got my pilot certificate in 1980 and loran was not used in aircraft yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation